Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: Pre-test anxiety [#permalink]
Kudos
One thing that helped for me was to focus on reviewing your error log for the final few days. Not only will it not give you a bad score like a CAT COULD and scare you even more, it will also give you confidence that you can now solve problems that you once had problems with. I took the exam at 8am too because I think I'll just exhaust myself from being nervous or trying to solve more problems on the day of the test if I chose a later time. I'm also a morning person though, so may not work for everyone.

If you try 5 hour energy, I def agree that you should test it out on a weekday first! I tested it and 30 min later I felt like I could climb a mountain, but focus was all over the place because I couldn't sit still. So it did more for me physically than mentally. I went back to my good old red bull for test day and worked great.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ya, I'm not really a morning person but I think I'd rather take the test tired than overly anxious. It was a tough call but I couldn't justify a 4:30 exam. In addition, my application is up for a second review the week of the 24th and I don't want it to get pushed back with 4th round applicants.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
try sleeping early and waking early the entire week - i think doing that will make your body/mind adjust to the test so you wont be overly tired.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The issue I'm having with reviewing in the final week is that if I miss few problems in practice I feel like I'm not ready for the actual exam. It's seriously undermining my confidence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Media / Marketing
Schools:Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
marcusaurelius wrote:
The issue I'm having with reviewing in the final week is that if I miss few problems in practice I feel like I'm not ready for the actual exam. It's seriously undermining my confidence.

I'd only be worried about that if you were going after an 800. Everyone's gonna miss a few problems on their practice test and real test. It's part of what makes it a test, right? You'll go in on Saturday and do your best and that's all you should be concerned about. Shore up on the weaknesses but be sure to know your strengths as well (it'll help with the confidence).

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the insight. Actually, I did take the first GMAT prep exam before my first attempt. So, I've taken both tests. I've been working through the problems posted in the quant section of the forums for some fresh material. I'm just trying to keep my anxiety under control before Saturday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Take at least a few mock GMAT exams in the CAT format and to try to simulate the actual testing environment since you've tried it before. That means not taking food breaks, engaging in telephone conversations, etc. until you have completed a section. I think there are free GMAT materials online. Check your results if you've improved. Focus on your weakness.

Also, don't worry to much. Stay relax and avoid stress. And eat healthy and get enough rest before the test.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, I'm really not nearly as anxious as I was for the first test. I actually enjoy doing gmat problems and I don't have as much "riding" on this exam as I did the first time around. I'm going to gym more frequently to keep what anxiety I do have at bay. I mean, really, there is only so much I can do in the last couple of days.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
Try reviewing the last 30-40 or so of verbal or quant questions in OG 12 so that you are prepared for the worst. Best way to get over nerves is to face the fear. What is worst that can happen? You blow one test. NOT the end of the world or even your dreams.

If these thoughts were helpful to you, please give kudos.
Thanks
Skip
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
IMO, being a little bit anxious before the exam is only for the best. It will stimulate your brain. Even the best athletes, managers etc. feel a little bit anxious before important (and often even unimportant) events.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing/Advertising
Schools:University of Colorado
 Q32  V25
Send PM
Kudos
I understand your anxiety. I am taking the test June 5th and already feel it. Just try and relax, and stay in a positive frame of mind. 5 Hour Energy can be a lot for some, so maybe take half.

Does anyone know where additional full length practice tests can be found? Besides the mba website when you sign up for the test? I'm looking to try as many as possible.

Thanks.
Rachel
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think that one of the most important principles I've learned through taking the GMAT once before and the preceding preparation is that you cannot take anything for granted on test day.

Despite the practice scores and the hours devoted to preparation, you have to fight for every question you encounter. Simply resting on your laurels isn't enough. There is no reason to be overwhelmed with anxiety if you are willing to work hard for the duration of the exam.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Practice, practice, practice. Under test conditions. Try to fool yourself that "this is the real thing". Even on the actual thing, your test score is not end all, be all. You can always retake.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Some excerpts from my test experience post

1 Week Before the Exam
Exactly one week before my exam, I took a half day off from work and simulated the whole exam experience: I set my alarm early, got up and made breakfast, got into my car and turned on a preset classical music radio station, and drove to the actual exam facility (and walked inside and to the room I’d be going to). I then drove home, took the exam, saw how I had done, went to work, and reviewed the problems that night. This simulation was unbelievably helpful.

Day Before the Exam
I relaxed, watched some movies, and generally did a whole lot of nothing. I DID NOT DO ANY STUDYING OR EVEN GLANCE AT A SINGLE GMAT RELATED MATERIAL. Trust me, this is the way to go. This isn’t a history exam that you are cramming for and you need to memorize 200 names and places for your final. One day out from the exam, you’re as good as you’re going to get, and you aren’t going to improve your scores any more. Your brain needs some rest from the madness.
-- I had a friend who was so worried about the exam that he studied straight through the day before his exam. Then, he did a FULL PRACTICE EXAM and multiple practice sets ON THE DAY OF HIS EXAM!!! Suffice it to say, he did not do so well, and he told me that I was right and that he should have listened to my advice. --

GOOD LUCK!

Edit: I just realized that you already took your exam ...

Originally posted by mba12tech on 27 May 2010, 09:40.
Last edited by mba12tech on 27 May 2010, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Despite all of the great advice I received, the night before the exam I had a complete nervous breakdown. I went to sleep early but woke up an hour later unable to fall back asleep. Eventually, I took an advil pm around midnight and passed out for about four hours. I went to the test center ready to cancel my exam but I was unable to do so. Anxiety management is definitely a major issue for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Eat breakfast, bring water and a snack, use your break to get fresh air/stretch. Don't get discouraged by difficult q's - just means you've been answering correctly! :)
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
did you see the score or canceled it? did something happen prior or you were thinking too much about the test? did you do anything relaxing friday like go see a movie, chill out or you tried to cram?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2