Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 23:37 It is currently 06 May 2024, 23:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 570 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28605 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28605 [0]
Re: Prepostional phrases in long sentences [#permalink]
Expert Reply
skamal7 wrote:
Hi mike,
First of all Thanks for pumping into this post... I always face difficulties when prepositional phrases are (1) placed in the beginning (2)at the middle of sentence (3) in the end of sentence.
When i read an SC question with prepositional phrases, I see an explanation such as prepositional phrases are not being modified properly.

Can you please explain me with few sentences where the prepositional phrases are being used and how the phrases should get modified appropriately

Dear skamal7,

That's a relatively tall order. First of all, prepositions can be used either as adjectival phrases, modifying nouns, or as adverbial phrase, modifying verbs & adjectives.
Here's a blog on adjectival phrases in general:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/
Here's a blog on adverbial phrases in general:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/

I guess I would say --- issue #1 is learning the difference between (a) an adjective or adjectival phrase/clause, and (b) an adverb or adverbial phrase/clause. This depends on what the prepositional phrase is modifying. If it's modifying a noun, then under most circumstances, it should be touching that noun --- noun modifiers follow the Modifier Touch Rule. Verb modifiers have a little more flexibility in their placement, but one has to be careful so that the placement of the modifier doesn't create ambiguity.

Here's what I'll say --- show me some examples of sentences in which you felt you were confused by the prepositions, and we can discuss what each phrase is modifying and how it should be used.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Although various eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American poets had professed an interest in Native American poetry and had pretended to imitate Native American forms in their own works, until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study traditional Native American poetry in native languages.

(A) until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study
(B) until almost 1900 scholars and critics had not begun seriously studying
(C) not until almost 1900 were scholars and critics to begin seriously to study
(D) it was not almost until 1900 when scholars and critics began to seriously study
(E) it was not until almost 1900 that scholars and critics seriously began studying

Can you explain the use of prepositional phrases in the above question.

Note: This question is posted here for a specific reason. Detailed discussion on this question can be found in although-various-eighteenth-and-nineteenth-century-american-88063.html where you can post question/additional information, if any.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28605 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
skamal7 wrote:
Although various eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American poets had professed an interest in Native American poetry and had pretended to imitate Native American forms in their own works, until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study traditional Native American poetry in native languages.
(A) until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study
(B) until almost 1900 scholars and critics had not begun seriously studying
(C) not until almost 1900 were scholars and critics to begin seriously to study
(D) it was not almost until 1900 when scholars and critics began to seriously study
(E) it was not until almost 1900 that scholars and critics seriously began studying

Can you explain the use of prepositional phrases in the above question.

Dear skamal7,
When you post a SC question, please list the source and the OA. Here, I believe the source is GMAT Prep, and I believe the OA is (E).

Here's the original version, with all the prepositional phrases highlighted.
Most of the preposition phrases there are relatively unremarkable ---- "in Native American poetry", "in their own works", "in native language" ---- I will assume you have no questions about those three.
One of the tricky parts of the questions concerns the word "until". The word "until" can be used both as a preposition or as a conjunction, which can confuse folks ---- here, there's not split in which it is being used as a conjunction, so that's not the issue here. The issue concerns the words "until" and "almost" and "1900" and "not", and the correct order of these.

When "until" is used as a preposition, it's object is always a time of some kind
until 4:00 pm
until next Tuesday
until Thanksgiving
until 1492
until night fall
until the end of the movie

Here, "1900" is a time, and "almost 1900" is also a time --- either could be the object of "until", and in context, it must be the latter. Four of the five answers have the three words "until almost 1900" together --- only (D) doesn't, but (D) is trainwreck wrong. You see, the crucial issue has to do with the placement of the word "not" --- what does not modify? We want to say ---- there was an action X (i.e. seriously studying traditional Native American poetry in native languages), and before around 1900, nobody did X, but starting around 1900, people started to do X. That's what we are trying to say. It would be correct to say either
...until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin to study ....
or we could say ----
...it was not until almost 1900 that scholars and critics seriously began studying....
The first is (A) without the word "seriously" --- that is a hard word to place correctly in that arrangement --- we don't want to put it in between "not" and "begin", because then the word "not' would modify the word "seriously" instead of the whole phrase. Similarly, in (D), the word "not" modifies the word "almost", and not the whole phrase. The second sentence here is (E), the OA.

It appears that you don't really have questions about prepositions per se --- you have questions about proper word order with prepositions & adverbs & "not" and so forth. Does this make sense?

Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13995 posts