It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 09:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prerequisites & MBA Survival kit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2007, 23:49
aaudetat wrote:
Someone at the Cornell admissions office recommended UC Berkeley extension's courses - these are reasonably priced and count as pre-reqs for the Haas weekend mba. I hear stats is a good place to start - I will be taking that one soon.

Slightly offtopic. But i was wondering whether such online extension courses(in stats, accounting etc) could be used to mitigate a low GPA.Do these courses award transcripts and do they hold any credence with the adcom. I am an international and cannot take live classroom courses in the US which would help build an alternative transcript.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2133 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 06:48
Can someone post the link to the Berkeley online course list? The only thing I found was like four courses... i must be looking at the wrong thing.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 08:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
imjimmy wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
Someone at the Cornell admissions office recommended UC Berkeley extension's courses - these are reasonably priced and count as pre-reqs for the Haas weekend mba. I hear stats is a good place to start - I will be taking that one soon.

Slightly offtopic. But i was wondering whether such online extension courses(in stats, accounting etc) could be used to mitigate a low GPA.Do these courses award transcripts and do they hold any credence with the adcom. I am an international and cannot take live classroom courses in the US which would help build an alternative transcript.

I suppose it depends on the school. My info comes from two places: first when I was visiting Haas over the summer, I asked about ways to show that I am indeed quant-savvy, in spite of minimal coursework in college. One of the two co-directors said taking courses would do so, but that the courses would need to be for-credit. They would want to see transcripts or some kind of mid-term report from the professor. I had hoped to audit a course at Cornell, but that burst my bubble.

Second, I spoke with someone at the Johnson School admissions office about what courses I could take. She said that if you want to prove your quant-savviness, taking accounting wouldn't help -- it's not quantitative enough. I had taken calc (and done well) in college, so she said not to bother with that. Calc II was less important than statistics or finance. Micro and macro-econ were also important. In addition, she said to be very careful about where you take the classes. She recommended the Berkeley extension courses, saying that our local community college (and even Empire State, an online 4-year college that is part of the SUNY system) would not offer courses at a high enough level to really help you out. I would imagine that most 4-year public and private schools would meet the standard.

SVP
SVP

Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 08:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rhyme wrote:
Can someone post the link to the Berkeley online course list? The only thing I found was like four courses... i must be looking at the wrong thing.

Here's the extension homepage: http://learn.berkeley.edu/

http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/online/ this is the first page of the catalog.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 08:14
Ordered the book... well see if its any good. I hope its better than the last book someone recommended here: Finding Time or something like that. It read like a 10th grade paper on "working in america".

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 08:23
aaudetat wrote:
imjimmy wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

I suppose it depends on the school. My info comes from two places: first when I was visiting Haas over the summer, I asked about ways to show that I am indeed quant-savvy, in spite of minimal coursework in college. One of the two co-directors said taking courses would do so, but that the courses would need to be for-credit. They would want to see transcripts or some kind of mid-term report from the professor. I had hoped to audit a course at Cornell, but that burst my bubble.

Second, I spoke with someone at the Johnson School admissions office about what courses I could take. She said that if you want to prove your quant-savviness, taking accounting wouldn't help -- it's not quantitative enough. I had taken calc (and done well) in college, so she said not to bother with that. Calc II was less important than statistics or finance. Micro and macro-econ were also important. In addition, she said to be very careful about where you take the classes. She recommended the Berkeley extension courses, saying that our local community college (and even Empire State, an online 4-year college that is part of the SUNY system) would not offer courses at a high enough level to really help you out. I would imagine that most 4-year public and private schools would meet the standard.

That was very helpful. Thanks very much.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 18:02
I received a pre-reading list and I'm going to study that. Hopefully that should be enough. I don't have the money to shell out for a business foundation course at INSEAD that costs another 3K euros.. I'm already so below the poverty line that I don't even see it anymore >:/

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 18:06
Is it a list of books or proprietary material ?

necromonger wrote:
I received a pre-reading list and I'm going to study that. Hopefully that should be enough. I don't have the money to shell out for a business foundation course at INSEAD that costs another 3K euros.. I'm already so below the poverty line that I don't even see it anymore >:/

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 19:01
lhotseface,

It is a set of general books on accounting and finance. If you want the exact names I can post them.

VP
VP

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 19:05
Please do as a personal favor.

necromonger wrote:
lhotseface,

It is a set of general books on accounting and finance. If you want the exact names I can post them.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 19:10
Quote:
It takes time also (atleast an hour every day).

For how long? Can you get through the class in a short amount of time if you focus on it full-time...say 7-10 days?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 19:35
lhotseface,

here it is. HTH.

1) FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING CORE COURSE
ESSENTIALS OF ACCOUNTING - R. Anthony - L. Breitner
9th edition -Prentice Hall
ISBN 013149693X € 52

OR

INTRODUCTION TO FINANCE – Y. F. BISSADA
BMS edition
ISBN 2952028206 € 30

2) FINANCIAL MARKETS AND VALUATION CORE COURSE
FINANCE FOR EXECUTIVES – G. HAWAWINI – C. VIALLET
3rd edition – South-Western
ISBN 0324274319 € 52

3) PRICES AND MARKETS CORE COURSE
recommended:
PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS – N. Gregory MANKIW
3rd Edition – South-Western
ISBN 032420308X € 47

lhotseface wrote:

necromonger wrote:
lhotseface,

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 19:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
For those of us coming from a non-accounting/finance background, we also have the option of self-studying accounting, calculus, and microeconomics before taking a CLEP test. Passing the CLEP will suffice for most school's entrance prerequisites and even waives some core courses.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 19:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Maybe you guys will find this quite useful.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Sloan-School-of-Management/index.htm

Lots of courses from the famed MIT desk and for free.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

VP
VP

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2007, 21:12
Thanks a bunch. I will look them up.

necromonger wrote:
lhotseface,

here it is. HTH.

1) FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING CORE COURSE
ESSENTIALS OF ACCOUNTING - R. Anthony - L. Breitner
9th edition -Prentice Hall
ISBN 013149693X € 52

OR

INTRODUCTION TO FINANCE – Y. F. BISSADA
BMS edition
ISBN 2952028206 € 30

2) FINANCIAL MARKETS AND VALUATION CORE COURSE
FINANCE FOR EXECUTIVES – G. HAWAWINI – C. VIALLET
3rd edition – South-Western
ISBN 0324274319 € 52

3) PRICES AND MARKETS CORE COURSE
recommended:
PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS – N. Gregory MANKIW
3rd Edition – South-Western
ISBN 032420308X € 47

lhotseface wrote:

necromonger wrote:
lhotseface,

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2007, 14:35
Are we supposed to already have advanced knowledge of accounting and finance when we arrive at business school?

Current Student
B

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2007, 22:04
flapjack wrote:
Are we supposed to already have advanced knowledge of accounting and finance when we arrive at business school?

Depends on the school. But in a nutshell, we should be at least somewhat literate in the two. Here is the cheapest possible way to prepare:

1. MBA math.com

2. "The 10 day MBA"

3. The Sloan link mentioned above.

Not having any knowledge of (1) Accounting (2) Stats (3) Micoecon and (4) Finance will REALLY make that first year difficult.

According to a friend at a top 20 b-school, "not having the basic knowledge equates to about 2~3 hours of sleep a night; understanding the basics gets you a couple extra hours of rest."

Seriously, if you have never cracked an accounting text before, I strongly suggest you start now.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2007, 06:11
GMATT73 wrote:
flapjack wrote:

Depends on the school. But in a nutshell, we should be at least somewhat literate in the two. Here is the cheapest possible way to prepare:

1. MBA math.com

2. "The 10 day MBA"

3. The Sloan link mentioned above.

Not having any knowledge of (1) Accounting (2) Stats (3) Micoecon and (4) Finance will REALLY make that first year difficult.

According to a friend at a top 20 b-school, "not having the basic knowledge equates to about 2~3 hours of sleep a night; understanding the basics gets you a couple extra hours of rest."

Seriously, if you have never cracked an accounting text before, I strongly suggest you start now.

Georgetown has purchased access to mbamath.com for all their incoming MBA students, so I take it that it must be pretty good.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2007, 17:39
Cornell is also offering the same thing from mbamath.com
I'm planning to do this in June... does anyone know how long the program takes to complete?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2007, 08:05
These are all really great suggestions! I actually feel kind of fortunate because although my undergrad was in a most decidedly non-financial major, for my specialization area I had to take stats, micro/macro economics, and for my third writing course I even chose to take organizational psychology. During my senior year, when I figured out that I might be interested in pursuing an MBA at some point in the future, I chose to take an accounting class as an elective.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] 03 Aug 2007, 08:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 54 posts ]