It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Princeton Review - Toughest B-Schools to Get Into 2009

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Princeton Review - Toughest B-Schools to Get Into 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 12:05
1)Stanford
2)Harvard
3) Columbia
4)Berkeley
5)Wharton
6)MIT
7)Yale
8)NYU
9)Ross
10)Tuck

http://www.princetonreview.com/schoolli ... =%07?RDN=1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Princeton Review - Toughest B-Schools to Get Into 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 12:21
interesting...

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 92

WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 12:23
Interesting indeed, I thought Kellogg / Chicago would be featured.

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 92

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 12:32
Its generally in line with the reported USNews acceptance rate percentages

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 12:42
I thought the acceptance rates for Ross and NYU are well over 20%? I was surprised to see these 2 on the list in place of Chicago and Kellogg.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 12:45
Yes. Chicago's acceptance rate is surprisingly high considering it's an M7 school.

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 15:54
clearly, the toughest school to get into is the IIM in India... 173,000 applications last year for 200-odd seats.

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Schools: Texas

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 17:11
terp06 wrote:
I thought the acceptance rates for Ross and NYU are well over 20%? I was surprised to see these 2 on the list in place of Chicago and Kellogg.

The expected uptick in applications at NYU seems natural to me. Bankers/Wall Street guys in NYC have lost their job or feel like they could soon lose their job. Love being in NYC and see it as the #1 backup to an M7.

Ross, no idea. Maybe lots of GM employees are nervous? :lol:

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 17:12
togafoot wrote:
clearly, the toughest school to get into is the IIM in India... 173,000 applications last year for 200-odd seats.

I disagree. Anyone who kills the CAT has a MUCH better than 2/1730 shot at IIM. They look for raw IQ, not the tough combination of skills/pedigree/accomplishments that U.S. b-schools look for. Essentially, the crux of my argument is that it's easier to be a one-track mind than it is to be a "holistically good" applicant.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 16

Schools: Duke 2012

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 19:27
That is really interesting. It's a good thing to keep in mind when deciding on a strategy for which apps go into which rounds.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 16

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 20:59
yeah i'm incredibly surprised kellogg isn't in the top 10....

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 22:34
Kellogg and Chicago both have relatively large classes and dont practice yield control like some schools (cough columbia). I know Kellogg was about 24% for the class of '09 and dropped to roughly 18% last year (class of '10). I would assume Chicago's numbers are pretty close to those. However both have classes several hundred students larger than Haas, Tuck, and Yale.

Most of those rankings look pretty much right (not sure what years data they are using though). Though I was a little surprised about Ross and NYU. However, I dont think this is an accurate idea of how "tough" it is to get in...which school have the lowest admission rates would be a the right way to look at it.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 03:36
I'm not sure why you guys are so surprised about NYU, it's acceptance rate has been ridiculously close to Columbia's in the last couple of years, I think. Heck, it might be more selective than Columbia this application season.

And selectivity doesn't really mean all that much, there are tangible differences in the applicant pools at each school.

Riverripper, what does Columbia's purported "yield control" have to do with selectivity, i.e. the number of applicants admitted?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 08:06
pawan203 wrote:
Interesting indeed, I thought Kellogg / Chicago would be featured.

What??? Kellogg and Chicago???? Don't mock the list dude..... :twisted: ... These schools are waaay too easy to get into...... :P ........ the selectivity (i suppose) should be in the high 70s or something........ :lol:

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 08:09
solaris1 wrote:
Riverripper, what does Columbia's purported "yield control" have to do with selectivity, i.e. the number of applicants admitted?

Are you serious? It definitely directly impacts the number admitted. Its a direct relationship, if they know that 80% of the people they select have to get in they only have to admit 125 people to get 100 to show up. While if they didnt do yield control and have 60% yield which is probably about what GSB has had in the recent years...they would have to admit 167 people to get the same 100 people. So in this case if both schools had 500 applicants, Columbia would admit 25% of applicants and Chicago would admit a over 33%.

How do they control their yield? Imagine a school gets 100 appliants each slightly more qualified for the last. Each school wants 10 students from this pool for their class.

-HBS admits the top 11 (90 to 100) or so of people, since they know 95% will show up.
-Chicago admits the top 17 (84 to 100) people knowing about 60% will show up so they admit more accounting for the 40% who get into and choose to attend H/S/W and other top schools.
-Columbia admits 14 students but do so by admitting #79 to #92. They know that the top handful of students will likely also get in to H/S/W and at least 95% would choose to attend those schools so they dont admit them. This ensures they have a higher yield than Chicago who admitted those students and also lowers the number of people they have to admit to attend.

I am not knocking Columbia for doing it, its their choice on how to fill their slots but it definitely does change their numbers.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 08:23
riverripper wrote:
-Columbia admits 14 students but do so by admitting #79 to #92. They know that the top handful of students will likely also get in to H/S/W and at least 95% would choose to attend those schools so they dont admit them. This ensures they have a higher yield than Chicago who admitted those students and also lowers the number of people they have to admit to attend.

This is an interesting way of looking at it, but I always thought that their method of yield control is the ED round. And in the ED round, I would figure they would try to grab as many of the highly qualified people as they can to "lock them in."

VP
VP

Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 08:26
My impression is that yield wouldn't play a role in selectivity at all. If 100 people apply, and 20 are admitted, and 15 of those 20 eventually enroll (75% yield), then the selectivity of the school is still 20%.

Selectivity stays at the same 20% if 10 of the 20 enroll (50% yield). Can the admissions committee really predict whether they will have 50% yield or 75% yield in a given year and adjust acceptance rates accordingly beforehand?

EDIT: I suppose I considered yield as a concept ex post to selectivity.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 08:29
solaris1 wrote:
Selectivity stays at the same 20% if 10 of the 20 enroll (50% yield). Can the admissions committee really predict whether they will have 50% yield or 75% yield in a given year and adjust acceptance rates accordingly beforehand?

Yes, and they do. They try to base their admit rate based on historical yields and market circumstances. Usually, their guess is off by a few students and that's why you see class size fluctuations between years.

VP
VP

Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 08:49
So if they think a candidate is qualified for H/S/W they won't admit them based on that criteria? I highly doubt that. If that person is qualified, but doesn't show significant interest in Columbia in their essays that is another issue.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 08:51
terp26 wrote:
So if they think a candidate is qualified for H/S/W they won't admit them based on that criteria? I highly doubt that. If that person is qualified, but doesn't show significant interest in Columbia in their essays that is another issue.

I would assume that they would admit them and dangle a scholarship in front of their eyes to entice them. The top x % of candidates are the ones who they give out scholarships to to entice them away from H/S/W.

Re: Princeton Review - Toughest B-Schools to Get Into 2009   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2008, 08:51

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Princeton Review - Toughest B-Schools to Get Into 2009

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap