Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618818 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Probability of Simultaneous Events - Veritas vs MGMAT [#permalink]
Thanks very much, Bunel.

Would I be correct in assuming the following:

1.Picking the gumballs simultaneously can be considered as a combination problem as the order does not matter.
2.One after the other can be considered as a permutation problem as the order matters.

Either way, the answer will be the same.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618818 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
roshpat wrote:
Thanks very much, Bunel.

Would I be correct in assuming the following:

1.Picking the gumballs simultaneously can be considered as a combination problem as the order does not matter.
2.One after the other can be considered as a permutation problem as the order matters.

Either way, the answer will be the same.

I'm not sure understood what you mean but you can solve below problem using 2 approaches.

A miniature gumball machine contains 7 blue, 5 green, and 4 red gumballs, which are identical except for their colors. If the machine dispenses three gumballs at random, what is the probability that it dispenses one gumball of each color?

Direct combinatorial approach:
\(Probability=\frac{# \ of \ favorable \ outcomes}{total \ # \ of \ outcomes}\):

Favorable outcomes: \(C^1_7*C^1_5*C^1_4\);
Total # of outcomes: \(C^3_{14}\),;

\(P=\frac{C^1_7*C^1_5*C^1_4}{C^3_{14}}=\frac{1}{4}\).

Direct probability approach:
\(P=3!*\frac{7}{16}*\frac{5}{15}*\frac{4}{14}=\frac{1}{4}\), we multiply by 3! as the scenario BGR can occur in several ways: BGR, BRG, GBR, GRB, RBG, RGB (basically # of permutations of 3 letters BGR which is 3!=6).

Again in doesn't matter whether the machine dispenses these gumballs simultaneously or one at a time.

Hope it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Picking Red and Blue simultaneously is the same as picking first Red and then Blue without replacement. It is not the same as picking any one and then the other without replacement (where we consider Red Blue and Blue Red)

So the answer in both the cases will not be 1/3 (as I explained before)

These are dependent events.
P(R and B) = P(R)*P(B given that R has occurred) = 1/3 * 1/2 = 1/6

For more on the same, please check out Probability of Simultaneous Events. You can use Veritas Prep Combinatorics and Probability book or any other standard book.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Picking Red and Blue simultaneously is the same as picking first Red and then Blue without replacement. It is not the same as picking any one and then the other without replacement (where we consider Red Blue and Blue Red)

So the answer in both the cases will not be 1/3 (as I explained before)

These are dependent events.
P(R and B) = P(R)*P(B given that R has occurred) = 1/3 * 1/2 = 1/6

For more on the same, please check out Probability of Simultaneous Events. You can use Veritas Prep Combinatorics and Probability book or any other standard book.

1/6 would be the result if we were asked to find the probability that FIRST ball is red and SECOND is blue. But the question asks "what is the probability that one is red and one blue?" and in this case no matter whether they are picked one at a time (without replacement) or simultaneously the answer is the same 1/3.

Anyway: are you saying that there is a difference whether we pick two balls simultaneously, or pick them one at a time (without replacement)?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

1/6 will be the result if we were asked to find the probability that FIRST ball is red and SECOND is blue. But the question asks "what is the probability that one is red and one blue?" and in this case no matter whether they are picked one at a time (without replacement) or simultaneously the answer is the same 1/3.

Anyway: are you saying that there is a difference whether we pick two balls simultaneously, or pick them one at a time (without replacement)?

No. There isn't. Probability of picking a red and a blue ball simultaneously is the same as picking a red and then a blue ball without replacement (or a blue and then a red ball without replacement). But you do not have to consider both cases - red and then blue, blue and then red. Only one of them and any one of them.
They are dependent events and this is conditional probability. As I said before, one can read about this in Veritas book (and perhaps MGMAT too as suggested by someone in a previous post)
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

1/6 will be the result if we were asked to find the probability that FIRST ball is red and SECOND is blue. But the question asks "what is the probability that one is red and one blue?" and in this case no matter whether they are picked one at a time (without replacement) or simultaneously the answer is the same 1/3.

No. There isn't. Probability of picking a red and a blue ball simultaneously is the same as picking a red and then a blue ball without replacement (or a blue and then a red ball without replacement). But you do not have to consider both cases - red and then blue, blue and then red. Only one of them and any one of them.
They are dependent events and this is conditional probability. As I said before, one can read about this in Veritas book (and perhaps MGMAT too as suggested by someone in a previous post)

Karishma there must be some misunderstanding.

Two questions:

Case 1: There is one red, one blue and one green ball. I pick two balls. What is the probability that one is red and one blue?

Case 2: There is one red, one blue and one green ball. I pick two balls simultaneously. What is the probability that one is red and one blue?

I'm saying that these are two identical questions and the answer is 1/3 for both, because there is no difference whether we pick two balls simultaneously, or pick them one at a time (without replacement). Also in neither of questions we have a case of conditional probability.

Next, if you still say that the answer to the second question: "There is one red, one blue and one green ball. I pick two balls simultaneously. What is the probability that one is red and one blue?" is 1/6 then can you please give the breakdown of the the rest 5/6?

As for me when you pick two balls out of three you can have in your hand:
1. Red and Blue;
2. Red and Green;
3. Blue and Green.

Only 3 cases and each is equally likely, the probability of one is red and one blue (scenario #1) is 1/3.

Again: 1/6 would be the result if we were asked to find the probability that FIRST ball is red and SECOND is blue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Karishma there must be some misunderstanding.

Two questions:

Case 1: There is one red, one blue and one green ball. I pick two balls. What is the probability that one is red and one blue?

Case 2: There is one red, one blue and one green ball. I pick two balls simultaneously. What is the probability that one is red and one blue?

I'm saying that these are two identical questions and the answer is 1/3 for both, because there is no difference whether we pick two balls simultaneously, or pick them one at a time (without replacement). Also in neither of questions we have a case of conditional probability.

Next, if you still say that the answer to the second question: "There is one red, one blue and one green ball. I pick two balls simultaneously. What is the probability that one is red and one blue?" is 1/6 then can you please give the breakdown of the the rest 5/6?

As for me when you pick two balls out of three you can have in your hand:
1. Red and Blue;
2. Red and Green;
3. Blue and Green.

Only 3 cases and each is equally likely, the probability of one is red and one blue (scenario #1) is 1/3.

Again: 1/6 would be the result if we were asked to find the probability that FIRST ball is red and SECOND is blue.

This is what I was saying. I was going mental last night trying to figure out how the heck they could be different, supplementary probabilities must add to 1.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Probabilities need to add to 1 only when the possible cases are mutually exclusive and exhaustive. So do not worry about it in conditional probability scenario.

Simultaneous events represent joint probability. It is given as
P(A and B) = P(A given B)*P(B)

P(A given B) is the conditional probability that A occurs given B has occurred.

GMAT questions related to simultaneous events can be worked out the way I have suggested in my previous posts. That is all that is needed.
and I repeat, it is a tricky concept which is not intuitive but has been proved by mathematicians.
and yet again, if you are in interested in more details, please check out a standard text book for probability of simultaneous events, conditional probability, joint probability, dependent events etc.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Probabilities need to add to 1 only when the possible cases are mutually exclusive and exhaustive. So do not worry about it in conditional probability scenario.

Simultaneous events represent joint probability. It is given as
P(A and B) = P(A given B)*P(B)

P(A given B) is the conditional probability that A occurs given B has occurred.

GMAT questions related to simultaneous events can be worked out the way I have suggested in my previous posts. That is all that is needed.
and I repeat, it is a tricky concept which is not intuitive but has been proved by mathematicians.
and yet again, if you are in interested in more details, please check out a standard text book for probability of simultaneous events, conditional probability, joint probability, dependent events etc.

I think that we do have mutually exclusive and exhaustive events:

There are 3 mutually exclusive events when picking 2 balls out of 3 (one red, one blue and one green ball):
1. Red and Blue;
2. Red and Green;
3. Blue and Green.

And these outcomes are exhaustive events too, what other outcomes can you have?

Also we do not have conditional probability here. The question asks: the probability that one is red and one blue, not the probability of second blue when first red.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos