GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Product Mgmt to Corp Strategy/Corp Dev PT Haas

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Product Mgmt to Corp Strategy/Corp Dev PT Haas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 15:17
I got admitted to the Part-Time MBA program at Berkeley Haas. I am currently a Product Manager at HP. Prior to this I was an engineer for several years. I will matriculate at the age of 33.

I am very interested in Strategy & Finance and I will gear my concentration to these. However, given I have only 3 years of experience as a Product manager and prior to that I was an engineer for a long time, is it possible to get roles in Corporate Strategy or Corporate Development now?

If so, what is the best way to go forward getting these roles. Should I look to get a role in mgmt consulting, or roles in finance etc? I have heard that getting a year or two of consulting experience really helps you get back into the tech industry at a higher pay grade etc; and it is the easiest way to break into Corp Dev or Corp Strategy.

I am open to any career advice.

Thx!

Ash
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Product Mgmt to Corp Strategy/Corp Dev PT Haas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 23:52
congrats for the admission.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 12:00
I would say outside of directly getting a role at a lower level in corp strategy or dev then consulting is probably your best bet. I would say that corp dev is largely seen as a bit different than corporate strategy and honestly the titles really can change depending on which company you are looking at. But corp dev tends to higher out of a banking / fin services background more than consulting. Corp dev / M&A tend to be lumped together for this reason moreso than corp strategy. They hire consultants all the time as well but just wanted to give you that color.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
VP
VP
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 09:18
One way to better understand the realistic chance of switching into Corporate Strategy or Corporate Development role is to do a job search for those roles and read through the job description. From my understanding ,most of the corporate strategy roles recruits from management consulting ranks, and corporate development is largely an M&A function requiring some prior connections to investment banking and/or consulting experience in due diligence.

While nothing is impossible, getting into either or the pre-req industry is difficult in mid-30s. Many of my classmates are at principal/associate partner level at MBB. That industry is really for candidates who are not married at the consultant level. In all honesty, the company will question your ability to work long hours and handle the travel requirement otherwise.

I would advise that you really understand those roles, and see if you would like those aspect of the role. Many of the corporate strategy roles have very little to do with strategy, and have very little influence on business direction. It's more of a reporting role. There's a lot of strategy involved in a Product Management role, especially at smaller companies. At smaller companies, PM role have a tremendous amount of influence on the direction of the company/products.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Product Mgmt to Corp Strategy/Corp Dev PT Haas   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2017, 09:18

Product Mgmt to Corp Strategy/Corp Dev PT Haas

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap