GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Eval for Vanderbilt MSF 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Eval for Vanderbilt MSF 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 13:21
I have not taken the gmat/gre but I made a 170 lsat on the first try, so I would expect something like top 1% Gmat/gre score.

3.05 undergrad gpa, 3.57 gpa for last 60 credit hours only (major gpa)
Undergrad major: finance
Institution: unranked state school

Work exp: 9 months boutique investment banking analyst internships where deals were completed with my name on them.
3 months of wealth management internship.

Letters of rec: 1) GLEAMING reccomendation by my current managing director at my investment bank
2) Pretty regular letter of rec from a mentor through college/ a random professor I took a few classes with.

If I make a great gre score, what will my chances on vanderbilt msf be?
Intern
Intern
Re: Profile Eval for Vanderbilt MSF 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 19:03
bump
Manager
Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 14:51
longhorn52 wrote:
I have not taken the gmat/gre but I made a 170 lsat on the first try, so I would expect something like top 1% Gmat/gre score.

Work exp: 9 months boutique investment banking analyst internships where deals were completed with my name on them.

Letters of rec: 1) GLEAMING reccomendation by my current managing director at my investment bank
2) Pretty regular letter of rec from a mentor through college/ a random professor I took a few classes with.

I believe you have a relevant background so that along with the workex will help. Average GPA is 3.61 which is relatively high so that might be an issue. Average GMAT is 692, so you can try to get a great score but I doubt how much will it compensate for the low GPA.
But I really feel you should give it a shot. I have seen people from different countries with poor GPA get into MSF programmes at prestigious universities. Recommendation will help. Make your intention known in the application and video essays. Vanderbilt may ask for your AWA score so make sure you do good on that.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 16:27
longhorn52 wrote:

Good experience will go a long way. So the 3.1 may not be a deal killer.

LSAT doesn’t really say much about you quant skills. Which courses did you take in sr. year?

For example if you took Calculus, Statistics, Linear Algebra, Probability theory and Differential Equations etc. and earned As in them in senior year, then Id be less worried about a low gpa. Especially if had turned in a 330+ on the GRE or 740+ on the GMAT and had done some research on Black Scholes / Options pricing etc.

Do you see what I mean?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Eval for Vanderbilt MSF 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 07:42
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a senior at a mediocre university in the United States. I am graduating with summa cum laude. I have a double major in Accounting and Finance, and a minor in Mathematics. I want to apply for masters in finance at Vanderbilt. I know it's competitive. I just wanted to get some evaluation of my chances for acceptance at Vanderbilt ms finance. Here is my profile:

An international student at a US university
Major GPAs: 4
Cumulative GPA: 3.93
GMAT 710 (Q50/V37)
Honors college: graduating with Summa Cum Laude
two research papers (writing in progress)
President/founder: Financial Management Association (FMA)
Founder of a community library in my hometown (providing access to more than 10,000 individuals)
Election Commission: Student Government Association
Student Ambassador: college of business and economic development
President: high school student council
No work experience: senior at current college. no internship because I'm an international. You all know how difficult it is to get internships and jobs in trump administration.

I am working hard to get into some competitive master programs. Please help me evaluate my profile and suggest me how I can better improve my chances. Thank you,
GMAT Club Bot
Profile Eval for Vanderbilt MSF 2020   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2019, 07:42

Profile Eval for Vanderbilt MSF 2020

new topic post reply Update application status