Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation and Suggestions on Shoring Up Weak Points [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You're welcome! Those are good data points on quant to highlight, and yes the SAIS degree will definitely help. So I think that's less concerning now given what you say.

You will need to explain both your short and long term goals so don't leave it out completely. If you can explain the connection to media and how your past experience plus your future consulting experience will help you get there, then go for it. But if it's a weak connection, then I would consider an alternate long-term path (at least for the purposes of your essays!).

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Kate

[quote="ebouche3"]First off, thank you so much for the reply. I've been a bit anxious about the whole thing for the same reasons you identified. I did an economics/Middle East Studies degree with hard quant as a major feature. SAIS has a reputation for quantitative work, but it's definitely not as strong as I would like it to be so it's a source of anxiety. I've been sort of keeping a lot of balls in the air and, as a result, do not have sufficient time for a retake of the GMAT. On the risk analysis, it dealt a lot with breakeven oil prices for overseas regimes so I can definitely emphasize that.

As far as the essays go, should I hold off on mentioning the media objective and, instead, focus on the near-term goals or are the long-term goals essential for a decent essay?

Finally, thank you so much.

[quote="mbaMissionKate"]Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. I see a lot of interesting things in your profile, and I think your background (while a bit non-traditional) should be attractive to b-schools. Sounds like you have some strong accomplishments at the university you can point to plus your exposure to the energy industry should be attractive. The volunteer work, language skills, and international exposure are all great and will be highly valued by the schools on your list.

My only concern is Quant skills given your Quant score + liberal arts background. Anything you can point to work wise that is quantitative in nature? I assuming the risk assessments involved some significant analysis? Have you taken any quant courses? Your overall GMAT score is excellent so that will help a lot.

I was wondering about your long-term goal re. media too -- I didn't see a strong connection to that, I guess there is the PR thing you mentioned, but if you frame that up as your long-term goal, just make sure you can show a connection and reason for why you want to pursue that route.

I think you've got a good list of schools and you should be competitive at most. Harvard could be tough, it is for pretty much everyone, but give it a shot, as they might see some of the interesting things I mentioned above.

Good luck!
Kate
Moderator:
1452 posts