It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 13:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (Entrepreneur)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Profile Evaluation (Entrepreneur) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 10:22
Thank you for taking the time out for evaluating my profile. I really appreciate it!

I plan on applying next year! I would like to know what school I would be a good fit for.

Profile:
GMAT: 680 (Q47, V36) I only studied the verbal section so I believe I can get my math higher. I think I can get a 700+
Black/Male/23 years (24 at matriculation)
EDUCATION: Bachelors in Computer Engineering minor Business administration GPA: 3.00/4.00
Patents Owned: 1

LOW GPA:
My 3.00 GPA was due to a serious car accident the summer before my sophomore year in which my best friend and I were T-boned by a semi-truck. I was forced to drink through a straw for 25 days due to my several injuries. I became depressed which resulted in my poor academic performance. Luckily, I was able to focus my time away from sports and realize my passion for business. I consider my GPA recovery to be one of my greatest accomplishments because I proved to myself that I have the grit to overcome adversity.

EXPERIENCE:
I started two startups in college. The first business I competed in several pitch competition for. I won $6000 at a pitch competition at citywide event, place top 3 in South Carolina a won $10,000 in prizes, and place top 40 out of 25,000 globally. For the second business I went from winning the best engineering senior design project to being accepted into a startup incubator (3% acceptance rate). I raised $130,000 at over $1,000,000 valuation through the incubator, investors, and kickstarter. I also built my team to 7 people and have presented to President Jimmy Carter along with Fortune 100 and business executives.

Now that I am out of college I still continue developing my second business but about a month or 2 ago I started a marketing agency with a friend we are now doing 3-4k monthly. I anticipate that by the time I apply next year we should be doing 20k-30k monthly.

I also trade stocks in my spare time. This is how I helped pay off my student loans. Since March 2017- November 2017 I have turned $13,000 in $35,000 with probably around 600 trades. I plan to save to $70k to pay for grad school.

EXTRA CURRICULAR:
I mentor several people and help them with their startups. I have help people successfully raise capital and win pitch competitions.

I also taught a class to teach freshman how to adjust to college and mentored about 40 students over 2 years. This took about 15 hours a week.

LONG TERM GOAL:
Long term I would like start another company with someone I meet in business school and consult college students on startup as a way for me to give back. Then I would like to consult Fortune 500 companies for a few years while teaching 1-2 credit course on entrepreneurship at reputable college as a hobby. I really enjoy helping and teaching but I want to have a formal background on top of everything I have done on my own. Finally I would like to get into venture capital or at the very least be an angel investor.

I would like to apply to Emory, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon & Yale. I can get great LOR, anywhere from a previous associate dean of MBA program at one of those 4 schools to my co-founder and several other mentors. I don’t know how well I fair against competition at these schools. Is my profile even unique? What else should I do to make me look better for the future since I still have time. Also please recommend other schools if you think that I could be a better fit for.

Thanks in advance!!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation (Entrepreneur) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 20:02
Hi Thegmatman,
See my notes below!
Kate

Thegmatman wrote:
Thank you for taking the time out for evaluating my profile. I really appreciate it! Happy to help!

I plan on applying next year! I would like to know what school I would be a good fit for. Great; you are on the young side now so I think another year will help your chances.

Profile:
GMAT: 680 (Q47, V36) I only studied the verbal section so I believe I can get my math higher. I think I can get a 700+ Impressive quant score for not studying! Your score is solid now, but a 700+ would make a big difference. Great that you've got time to raise your score.
Black/Male/23 years (24 at matriculation)
EDUCATION: Bachelors in Computer Engineering minor Business administration GPA: 3.00/4.00
Patents Owned: 1

LOW GPA:
My 3.00 GPA was due to a serious car accident the summer before my sophomore year in which my best friend and I were T-boned by a semi-truck. I was forced to drink through a straw for 25 days due to my several injuries. I became depressed which resulted in my poor academic performance. Luckily, I was able to focus my time away from sports and realize my passion for business. I consider my GPA recovery to be one of my greatest accomplishments because I proved to myself that I have the grit to overcome adversity. Gosh, sorry to hear about the experience. Plan to write an optional essay to provide this context, and focus on what you learned from it. I agree with your point about grit.

EXPERIENCE:
I started two startups in college. The first business I competed in several pitch competition for. I won $6000 at a pitch competition at citywide event, place top 3 in South Carolina a won $10,000 in prizes, and place top 40 out of 25,000 globally. For the second business I went from winning the best engineering senior design project to being accepted into a startup incubator (3% acceptance rate). I raised $130,000 at over $1,000,000 valuation through the incubator, investors, and kickstarter. I also built my team to 7 people and have presented to President Jimmy Carter along with Fortune 100 and business executives. Wow, really impressive. And we have a South Carolina connection (I live there now). :-)

Now that I am out of college I still continue developing my second business but about a month or 2 ago I started a marketing agency with a friend we are now doing 3-4k monthly. I anticipate that by the time I apply next year we should be doing 20k-30k monthly. Wonderful. I hope the growth continues so you can have results to show when it comes time to apply.

I also trade stocks in my spare time. This is how I helped pay off my student loans. Since March 2017- November 2017 I have turned $13,000 in $35,000 with probably around 600 trades. I plan to save to $70k to pay for grad school. This won't have a huge impact on your application chances, but it will be good to show a passion for something like this.

EXTRA CURRICULAR:
I mentor several people and help them with their startups. I have help people successfully raise capital and win pitch competitions. Great, keep this up. Is this done informally or through an organization / startup accelerator? If so, it might make sense to formalize this, get involved more with networking groups or entrepreneurial focused organizations, so that this activity looks more "official" when it comes time to apply.

I also taught a class to teach freshman how to adjust to college and mentored about 40 students over 2 years. This took about 15 hours a week. This is a great example of leadership.

LONG TERM GOAL:
Long term I would like start another company with someone I meet in business school and consult college students on startup as a way for me to give back. Then I would like to consult Fortune 500 companies for a few years while teaching 1-2 credit course on entrepreneurship at reputable college as a hobby. I really enjoy helping and teaching but I want to have a formal background on top of everything I have done on my own. Finally I would like to get into venture capital or at the very least be an angel investor. These goals make sense, and you've got the background to make them credible.

I would like to apply to Emory, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon & Yale. I can get great LOR, anywhere from a previous associate dean of MBA program at one of those 4 schools to my co-founder and several other mentors. I don’t know how well I fair against competition at these schools. Is my profile even unique? What else should I do to make me look better for the future since I still have time. Also please recommend other schools if you think that I could be a better fit for. I think this is a good list of schools for you. Especially with a slightly higher GMAT, you should be in a good position. Yale could still be tough considering how competitive it's become there, but still worth a shot. I might also take a look at Texas, since Austin has such a strong startup scene. Or maybe Duke or Kellogg if you want to pursue the marketing angle on your work. Once you narrow your list, try to visit your target schools, reach out to students/alums. And yes, your profile is pretty unique!

Thanks in advance!!

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 5

Profile Evaluation (Entrepreneur)

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap