Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 11:58 It is currently 09 May 2024, 11:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile Review - Please and Thanks! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Ah, you canceled! OK - no worries, as you say, you can reinstate if you need but you might improve it so makes sense to wait before deciding. I would not worry so much about the IR, it's noticed, but it's rarely as important as the overall score or quant score. I'd focus on maximizing those elements, personally and ignore the IR for the most part. (do your best, but don't cancel an improvement in the future because of an IR score).

Yup, understood - if the schools have the score, you can't do much about waivers, and we don't even know if waivers will continue to next year, but if they do - just make sure you don't send any more scores before you know you want to! :)

Good luck!!!
Julie-Anne
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for getting back so quickly! I’m glad you mentioned the IR piece. Back when I took the exam in 2018 all the research I did was pointing towards the IR being too new to be utilized by schools. However, I assumed now they may have started using it and thus the 4 (33rd percentile ish) would have been a flag. I’m glad to hear that’s not the case. Noted for the future, I’ll keep scores as long as quant and verbal are good.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Profile Review - Please and Thanks! [#permalink]
removed

Originally posted by JustAChance on 26 Mar 2021, 11:34.
Last edited by JustAChance on 28 Aug 2021, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello again! Hang on, I missed that you were aiming at R3....I was thinking you were talking about applying in the fall. Is there an urgent reason for this timing? Top schools really don't admit very many candidates in R3 and this year has been particularly brutal in competition...any chance you can wait for R1? I think your odds are going to be very slim applying now in this cycle. I hope you will consider waiting! If not, explain well why you needed to apply now, and think about adjusting your list of schools to cut out the most competitive names and add a couple of names somewhere in the range of top 10-25 schools. IMO, Wharton and Columbia will be very tough.

1) I do think you should keep your 2nd GMAT canceled...IMO it's not worth it to reinstate for a bit higher verbal score..but to be honest I am worried about your most recent GMAT overall still not being where you would have a better chance of success...I don't suppose you can take it again or try the GRE?

2) Is your most recent quant score better? Yes. Does it improve your chances? Somewhat, slightly; McDonough, for example, has said it wants candidates to clear a 50th percentile minimum in quant, and I'm not sure you were there before...but the overall score is the biggest factor.

3) Your optional essay can certainly say that you don't feel your score is indicative of your abilities and point to the evidence to support that. I would not then add on the other stuff about difficulty studying with full time work, and the pandemic, and test anxiety, because then you run the risk of sounding like you are making a lot of excuses and honestly, that's what most of your fellow applicants are dealing with as well... just stick to pointing out your positive points in the quant/academic dept.

But really, I would rather see you apply with a stronger score if at all humanly possible, or perhaps a GRE, and have you do it in an earlier round...do think about it!

Warmly,
Julie-Anne Heafey
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Profile Review - Please and Thanks! [#permalink]
removed

Originally posted by JustAChance on 31 Mar 2021, 16:01.
Last edited by JustAChance on 28 Aug 2021, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ah. Would you do early action, or even the binding early action at Darden? That could help, especially if you are a good interviewer. And great essays and recs and resume, of course....

I don't know about a min quant score at the schools you mention off the top of my head, but the bar for many schools seems to be at about a 48 these days, so it's good you have that on your latest test.

You could try the GRE; there are practice tests online. I've had many clients even take it cold without real prep. Some clients are like: eh, I prefer the GMAT; others are like: where has this test been all my life?! But if all your schools have your scores now, they can't usually un-see what you've sent. Technically, they can "keep" only one score if you submit both and ignore the other, but in practice, I have not found that situation to be as straightforward. Might depend on how much better you do, though.

Good luck!
Julie-Anne
Moderator:
1455 posts