It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profit loss question explanation required!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

profit loss question explanation required!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 08:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

By selling two articles for Rs X, Joey gains 30% on one and loses 30% on the other. What is the net profit/loss percentage suffered/gained by Joey?

A. loss of 15%
B. loss of 9%
C. no profit no loss
D. profit of 9%
E. profit of 15%

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8991 [2], given: 113

Re: profit loss question explanation required!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MadanNyp wrote:
By selling two articles for Rs X, Joey gains 30% on one and loses 30% on the other. What is the net profit/loss percentage suffered/gained by Joey?

A. loss of 15%
B. loss of 9%
C. no profit no loss
D. profit of 9%
E. profit of 15%

Dear MadanNyp,

I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, understand that this question is not written with the clarity typical of GMAT question. In particular, it's not 100% clear whether the price stated, Rs X, is the value before the percents gain & loss, or whether it is the price received, after the gain & loss. If the former is the case, it's a very easy question. I believe the latter is the case, and that's a more challenging question. That's the version I'll solve here.

Let's assume that Joey sold these two items, each for the same price. For one item, the sale at that price represented a 30% gain over its value. For the other, the sale at that same price represented a 30% loss compared to its value. What is the total percent loss?

First, a conceptual approach. Let's say that the sale price for both items is Rs. 1000. The value of the first item is some P < 1000, and 1000 is a 30% increase on P. The value of the second item is some Q > 1000, and a 30% decrease in Q equals 1000. We gained 30% of P and lost 30% of Q. We know that Q > P, so 30% of Q is much larger than 30% of P. Therefore, the loss was greater than the gain, and there is net loss in the sale. Without any calculations, we see that either (A) or (B) has to be the answer. That's important to understand.

Now, let's think about calculating the exact numerical answer. Using those variables, we can create the equations
P*1.3 = X
Q*0.7 = X
Notice that 1.3 is the multiplier for a 30% increase and 0.7 is the multiplier for a 30% decrease.

Notice that to solve for P & Q, we will need to divide by 0.7 and 1.3. This means that a well-chosen value of X should be divisible by both 7 and 13. Let's just use 91 = 7*13.

We will say that X = 91. Joey sold each item for the same price, Rs 91.

The first item was worth P, and P*1.3 = 91. Thus, P = 91/1.3 = 70. The first item was worth Rs. 70 and sold for Rs 91, a 30% increase.

The second item was worth Q, and Q*0.7 = X. Thus, Q = 91/0.7 = 130. The second item was worth Rs. 130 and sold for Rs 91, a 30% loss.

The net value before the sales was P + Q = 200. The net gain from the two sales was 91 + 91 = 182. This is a percent loss

Percent loss = (200 - 182)/200 x 100% = 18/200 x 100% = 9/100 x 100% = 9%

The total loss is 9%.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8991 [2], given: 113

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 11:54
MadanNyp wrote:

A. loss of 15%
B. loss of 9%
C. no profit no loss
D. profit of 9%
E. profit of 15%

Let selling price be Rs 910 each

Quote:
Joey gains 30% on one

So, Cost price = 910/130*100 => 700

Quote:
loses 30% on the other

So, Cost price = 910/70*100 => 1300

Total Cost is 1300 + 700 = 2000
Total Selling Price is 910*2 = 1820

As Cost Price > Selling Price , there is a loss...

% Loss = \(\frac{( 2000 - 1820 )}{2000} * 100\)

% Loss = \(\frac{180}{2000} * 100\)

% Loss = 9%

Hence answer will be B. loss of 9%.....

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 15:30
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 0

Re: profit loss question explanation required!!!   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 15:30

profit loss question explanation required!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap