Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Send PM
Re: pronoun ambiguity contradiction [#permalink]
Kudos
KapTeacherEli wrote:
In the second problem, 'new maritime code' is the subject of the sentence, and 'the basis' is part of the predicate. Since 'it' in the second half of the sentence is the subject of a new clause, it is clear that 'it' was intended to reproduce the first subject.

In the first case you cited, 'course of action' and 'incipient trouble' are BOTH part of the predicate of the sentence. Since neither of them are a subject, the fact that 'it' is the subject of the dependent clause 'it has worked in the past' does not let us associate the pronoun with a particular antecedent, so the sentence is ambigious.

Hope this helps!

Eli

Hi Eli,

This absolutely helps. Great ! Can you please extend this a little bit with a little more cases. What if the pronoun appears in the part of the predicate of the clause 2, where should we look for the antecedent. Only this possibility struck to me. If there were other possibilities also please do explain.

nd also with respect to the above problem,

Is it perfect to say that, the pronoun in the subject of the other clause of the sentence clearly refers only to the subject in the clause 1. If the pronoun and the antecedent (i.e. subject of clause 1) do not match up correctly then there is a pronoun error ). Am i getting it right. ?

Thanks in advance !
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ksp wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
In the second problem, 'new maritime code' is the subject of the sentence, and 'the basis' is part of the predicate. Since 'it' in the second half of the sentence is the subject of a new clause, it is clear that 'it' was intended to reproduce the first subject.

In the first case you cited, 'course of action' and 'incipient trouble' are BOTH part of the predicate of the sentence. Since neither of them are a subject, the fact that 'it' is the subject of the dependent clause 'it has worked in the past' does not let us associate the pronoun with a particular antecedent, so the sentence is ambigious.

Hope this helps!

Eli

Hi Eli,

This absolutely helps. Great ! Can you please extend this a little bit with a little more cases. What if the pronoun appears in the part of the predicate of the clause 2, where should we look for the antecedent. Only this possibility struck to me. If there were other possibilities also please do explain.

nd also with respect to the above problem,

Is it perfect to say that, the pronoun in the subject of the other clause of the sentence clearly refers only to the subject in the clause 1. If the pronoun and the antecedent (i.e. subject of clause 1) do not match up correctly then there is a pronoun error ). Am i getting it right. ?

Thanks in advance !
Unforutnately, it's hard to give generalizations; as with many things in English, the answer is context-dependent. However, it's not true that it is automatically wrong for a pronoun in the predicate to refer to a noun that was a subject, or vice versa. This rule is only useful for resolving pronoun ambiguity. If a pronoun that is a subject is logically intended to replace a noun in a predicate, but could also grammatically replace the predicate's subject, then the meaning is wrong.

Correct:

When a farm plane air-drops pesticides, they spread farther than when distributed by other means.

Incorrect:

When farm planes air-drop pesticides, they spread farther than when distributed by other means.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm confused. Previously you said:
"In the second problem, 'new maritime code' is the subject of the sentence, and 'the basis' is part of the predicate. Since 'it' in the second half of the sentence is the subject of a new clause, it is clear that 'it' was intended to reproduce the first subject."

Could you not use your explanation as such:

Airplanes is the subject of the sentence and 'pesticides' is part of the predicate. Since 'they' in the second half of the sentence is the subject of a new clause, it is clear that 'they' was intended to reproduce the first subject.

?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
stringworm wrote:
I'm confused. Previously you said:
"In the second problem, 'new maritime code' is the subject of the sentence, and 'the basis' is part of the predicate. Since 'it' in the second half of the sentence is the subject of a new clause, it is clear that 'it' was intended to reproduce the first subject."

Could you not use your explanation as such:

Airplanes is the subject of the sentence and 'pesticides' is part of the predicate. Since 'they' in the second half of the sentence is the subject of a new clause, it is clear that 'they' was intended to reproduce the first subject.

?
Grammatically, yes--but logically, the sentence makes no sense if for farm planes to spread farther! Remember, meaning counts on the GMAT as much as grammar.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fair enough, and one last question about pronoun ambiguity before I put said topic to bed for life: In the following sentence, how does choice A have an ambiguous pronoun, yet choice B (the right answer) does not:

Constructed with the finest Italian marble, the floor of the church is its greatest attraction and is more attractive to tourists than are its ornate windows.

attraction and is more attractive to tourists than are its ornate windows
attraction, itself more attractive to tourists than are its ornate windows
attraction, itself more attractive to tourists as are its ornate windows
attraction, being more attractive to tourists than are its ornate windows
attraction, and itself is more attractive to tourists than ornate windows
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
stringworm wrote:
Fair enough, and one last question about pronoun ambiguity before I put said topic to bed for life: In the following sentence, how does choice A have an ambiguous pronoun, yet choice B (the right answer) does not:

Constructed with the finest Italian marble, the floor of the church is its greatest attraction and is more attractive to tourists than are its ornate windows.

attraction and is more attractive to tourists than are its ornate windows
attraction, itself more attractive to tourists than are its ornate windows
attraction, itself more attractive to tourists as are its ornate windows
attraction, being more attractive to tourists than are its ornate windows
attraction, and itself is more attractive to tourists than ornate windows
Can you point me to the source of this problem? I think I know what's going on here, but I want to double check before I post.
GMAT Club Bot