GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 13:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

proper use of the pronoun "one"

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
proper use of the pronoun "one"  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 08:41
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the rules regarding the proper usage of the pronoun "one". I just read about it in the Manhattan's book (foundations of GMAT verbal) and found it very confusing and unclear. I also looked over the internet but i haven't found something useful. Any idea? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Re: proper use of the pronoun "one"  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 01:19
oryahalom wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the rules regarding the proper usage of the pronoun "one". I just read about it in the Manhattan's book (foundations of GMAT verbal) and found it very confusing and unclear. I also looked over the internet but i haven't found something useful. Any idea? :)

It would be great if you could post a specific question in which ONE is tested..
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 03:33
let's take this sentence for example:

"If you can't wait to receive a letter in the mail, one can check ones's admissions results by calling this number". I know this sentence is grammatically incorrect because the pronoun "one" cannot be used interchangeably with other pronouns when referring to the same thing. But let's assume that the sentence state as follows: "If you can't wait to receive a letter in the mail, one can check your's admissions results by calling this number". It was correct?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 13:13
"If you can't wait to receive a letter in the mail, one can check your's admissions results by calling this number".

When you use "you" and "one" in the same sentence, you are referring to two different people. In the context of the above sentence, the meaning would not make sense. The pronouns need to refer to the same person. The person who is not willing to wait for the letter in the mail will be the same person making the telephone call.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 05:47
oryahalom wrote:
let's take this sentence for example:

"If you can't wait to receive a letter in the mail, one can check ones's admissions results by calling this number". I know this sentence is grammatically incorrect because the pronoun "one" cannot be used interchangeably with other pronouns when referring to the same thing. But let's assume that the sentence state as follows: "If you can't wait to receive a letter in the mail, one can check your's admissions results by calling this number". It was correct?

Though it is one of the rarely tested concepts in GMAT, the best practice would be to use ether personal pronouns - he, she, him, and so on, or impersonal pronoun - it, they, and one I am not sure whether there are more or not..
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 10:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: proper use of the pronoun "one"   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2019, 10:12

proper use of the pronoun "one"

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics