GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 10:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

08:00 PM MST

09:00 PM MST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 09:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:40) correct 64% (01:34) wrong based on 123 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that federal deregulation of investment procedures has neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition nor increased corporate monopoly, and also has not compromised the government's basic long-term commitment to the free market.

a. neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition nor increased corporate monopoly, and also has not
b. neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition or increased corporate monopoly or
c. not exposed smaller banks to unfair competition or increased corporate monopoly, nor has it
d. not exposed smaller banks to unfair competition nor increased corporate monopoly, and it has not
e. neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition, increased corporate monopoly, nor has it

I found this one confusing, though it looks simple idiom construction. Pls clarify which one would you choose and why ?
Intern
Intern
Re: Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 09:20
A - original sentence has neither, nor, and.....so incorrect
B - uses neither, or , or....incorrect as well
C - uses not, or, nor....incorrect
D - user not, nor, and...incorrect
E - uses neither, nor....Correct

E is IMHO a rather uncommon use of neither, nor...but I tend to use it in my own writing and Microsoft word doesn't seem to have a grief. It sounds fine to me, so for such idiomatic qns, I'd go with my gut which says Answer is E.

What is the source gamecode?

excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 12:04
The source is kaplan and the QA is c.

Here's the explanation they give :

None of the answer choices here are particularly succinct, so you'll have to choose the best possible choice. Remember that "neither...nor" never occurs when there are three subjects in a listing; furthermore, recall that "neither" can't occur without a "nor". This eliminates Choices (A), (B) and (E). Given a choice between (C) and (D), both of which employ the word "nor" without "neither", Choice (C) is more concise and therefore the better formulation.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2008, 23:22
I got C for this one straight away. But Kaplan does offer some strange OEs

Neither A or B nor C......would have been the most ideal choice

choice C with
has not A or B nor has it C remains the best of all the options

moreover
not A nor B is one of the accepted usages
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 18:35
It seems like everyone one is getting a different answer... BTW I dont agree with the Kaplan explanation...
My answer was A and here's how are reached it...

Parallel Structure...
Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that federal deregulation of investment procedures...(has neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition nor increased corporate monopoly), and also ...(has not compromised the government's basic long-term commitment to the free market.)

Both of these independently make sense...
...federal deregulation of investment procedures...(has neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition nor increased corporate monopoly)
...federal deregulation of investment procedures...(has not compromised the government's basic long-term commitment to the free market.)

So, A...

gameCode wrote:
Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that federal deregulation of investment procedures has neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition nor increased corporate monopoly, and also has not compromised the government's basic long-term commitment to the free market.

a. neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition nor increased corporate monopoly, and also has not
b. neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition or increased corporate monopoly or
c. not exposed smaller banks to unfair competition or increased corporate monopoly, nor has it
d. not exposed smaller banks to unfair competition nor increased corporate monopoly, and it has not
e. neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition, increased corporate monopoly, nor has it

I found this one confusing, though it looks simple idiom construction. Pls clarify which one would you choose and why ?
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 19:30
To check the validity of A lets break up the original sentence:

Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that federal deregulation of investment procedures
has
1) neither exposed smaller banks to unfair competition
2) nor, increased corporate monopoly,
3) and also has not compromised the government's basic long-term commitment to the free market.

As you can see, for 3rd part reads like:

XXXXXX has also not has not XXXXXXXXX => Incorrect. Thats why A is incorrect.

B has neither...or... => Incorrect
E has neither..., ...., nor => Incorrect ( It should have been neither..., nor ...., nor .....)
D is awkward.

C wins.

Crick
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 01:34

OE:

The underlined portion uses "neither ... nor" correctly, but it follows the comma with "and also has not ...." When "and" is used as a conjunction, it must join two sentence elements in parallel form. However, the "neither ... nor" construction is complete, and no new subject is introduced after the comma. Finally, the phrase "and also" is redundant. Eliminate (A).

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

The answer choices tackle the arrangement of the things deregulation has not done in various ways, and grouping will not be efficiently. Proceed to test the choices one at a time.

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

(B) uses "neither" with "or," which is unacceptable.

(C) uses "not ... or" instead of "neither ... nor," which is perfectly fine as long as the two parts of the construction are parallel, which they are here. After the final comma, "nor" is used as a conjunction, and the word "it" is added to provide a subject for the final clause. Everything is acceptable, making (C) the correct answer. For the record:

(D) uses "not ... nor," which is unacceptable.For comparisons, the correct idiom is either not ... or or neither ... nor. Mixing and matching is not allowed.

(E) uses "neither ... nor" to compare three items and only includes "nor" before the last item. Neither is rarely used for lists. If used, it would require a nor before each item after the first. (For example, consider the unofficial US Postal Service motto: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night ...").

This post is for my own reference :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 01:34

Proponents of the recent banking law changes assert that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap