Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: PS - Geometry [#permalink]
1. B has to be the middle point.
2. The base of Triangle at A is common to both AB and segement before it. Base is 6 inches. (isos tirangle). So AB is 10/2 by 1/2 of the base of triangle. To is is 5+3 inches.

It took me a while to figure it out more than 2 mins for sure. One mistake is to not see that 6 was inches. Then it was more of logic. In GMAT try to think about the question rather than solve it with brute calculation. I am trying to follow this myself too.
Director
Director
Send PM
bat_car wrote:
Thanks dj for the figure.

figure is a little inconsistent though.. anyway, I think, it potrayed the desired
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I got the 6 inches. The part I was stuck on was that I did not see that the distance from A.1 to B is the same distance from the first "X" on your diagram to A.

Is there is concept I am missing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Think like this. For all parts to be equal, the B has to be in center and ideally A should have been the 1/4 mark. But to make the question interesting they have offset A to a side. Lookaing at dj's diagram you can see that the base of the 45 degree tirangle is common to both segement 1 and segment 2 on left side of B. And these segements are equal in length. So we get

(base of triangle) + 2x(length of each partial segement) = 10.

Hope this helps to explan that the triangle base is common area and 1/4 mark on the board is also the mid point of the base of the triangle.

Hope my logic is not too twisted in terms of using the result as the cause. Picked up the line from some critical reason ans choise. :lol:
Director
Director
Send PM
ftoor wrote:
I got the 6 inches. The part I was stuck on was that I did not see that the distance from A.1 to B is the same distance from the first "X" on your diagram to A.

Is there is concept I am missing?

see, the question states that we have 4 identical figures. thus, the left half of the figure has 2 identical figures. consider this as a trapezium. except the angled part, two opposite sides are equal i.e. the smaller side of the trapezium is equal to longer side + side under angled part.

you know the angled one is 6 incehes. the remaining (remember, identical figure) part will be: whole length - 6 inches.

is that clear?? I still have hangover :drunk :wink: :drunk
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
The cuts are made at 3 points A,B and C to divide the board into identical 4 pieces. then AB has to be 5 ft.
Am I not understanding the problem here ?

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Problem Solving (PS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts