Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 16:02 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 16:02
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3539 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Push for greater integration of global economy is not, like earlier [#permalink]
Thank you very much for your answer, your guys are helping me a lot :)

I am a bit confused with that explanation.

If I understood you correctly:

John, as Louis, likes football. is correct as "Louis" is parallel to "John".

For me, it is wrong, and we should write: John, like Louis, likes football.

Is John, as Louis, likes football correct?

Thank you so much .

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Naptiste wrote:
Hello,

So how can we know when: "[subordinate conjunction] + [not a full clause]" is correct?

Is it always ? For example, can "as" ever not be followed by a full clause ?

This is something I really struggle with, so thank in advance for you help!

Daeny wrote:
Push for greater integration of global economy is not, like earlier, guided by complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, but the practical matters of business: cost savings and efficiency.

A. not, like earlier, guided by complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, but the practical matters of business

B. being guided by the practical matters of business, instead of complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, as it has been earlier

C. guided not by complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, as earlier, but by the practical matters of business

D. guided by the practical matters of business, not complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, which was the case earlier

E. guided not by complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, as has been the case earlier, but by the practical matters of business

Hello Naptiste,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

As is the case with all conjunctions, the elements that coordinating conjunctions link must be parallel; thus, a subordinating conjunction can only be followed by something that is not a full clause, if it is also preceded by the same.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Push for greater integration of global economy is not, like earlier [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Naptiste wrote:
Thank you very much for your answer, your guys are helping me a lot :)

I am a bit confused with that explanation.

If I understood you correctly:

John, as Louis, likes football. is correct as "Louis" is parallel to "John".

For me, it is wrong, and we should write: John, like Louis, likes football.

Is John, as Louis, likes football correct?

Thank you so much .

Hello Naptiste,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your question, "John, as Louis, likes football." is incorrect, but is not incorrect due to any property of coordinating conjunctions; it is incorrect because using "as" to compare nouns is unidiomatic. "as" can only compare verbs or clauses; as a coordinating conjunction, it can link two verbs/verb phrases, two independent clauses, or two dependent clauses, but it cannot link nouns.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Push for greater integration of global economy is not, like earlier [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts