GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 09:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q46 with 19 incorrect

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Turning my handicaps into assets
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 78
CAT Tests
Q46 with 19 incorrect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 03:39
Hi there,

I've just finished GMATPrep exam 1 and received Q46 with 19 incorrect answers. Is it possible that my wrong answers being more than the right ones and still I got Q46? I'm a bit confused now.
_________________

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3356
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Q46 with 19 incorrect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 03:43
Hey Mehemmed ,

Yes, it is perfectly fine to see such scenarios.

Remember the final score doesn't depend on the number of correct or incorrect answers but on the difficulty level of each question.

The more the difficulty level of a question is, the better score you will get if you get that right.

The same thing happened to you in your mock. I am assuming you got many 600-700 level questions correct and may be a few 700 levels.

All the best :)
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?


How to use this forum in THE BEST way?


New --> How ApplicantLab made me reach my 10 years long MBA dream?

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Turning my handicaps into assets
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 78
CAT Tests
Re: Q46 with 19 incorrect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 03:52
abhimahna wrote:
Hey Mehemmed ,

Yes, it is perfectly fine to see such scenarios.

Remember the final score doesn't depend on the number of correct or incorrect answers but on the difficulty level of each question.

The more the difficulty level of a question is, the better score you will get if you get that right.

The same thing happened to you in your mock. I am assuming you got many 600-700 level questions correct and may be a few 700 levels.

All the best :)



abhimahna,

Thanks for the answer. Yes, scoring algorithm seems a bit weird. I think that's why quant section seemed difficult to me, I didn't expect to get even 40+ :)
_________________

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Expert Post
Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 2318
Location: Canada
Re: Q46 with 19 incorrect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 07:10
Expert's post
Top Contributor
As others have noted, your scores are not based on how many questions you answer correctly; they're based on the level of difficulty of the questions you answer correctly/incorrectly.

To illustrate this, I'll share an experiment I performed.

When I was writing an article about the official GMAT software, I took the GMATPrep Practice Test #1 four times, and each time I answered every second question correctly, That is, I purposely answered all of the ODD questions correctly and all of the EVEN questions incorrectly. (I did this for the quant section only)

Given that I correctly answered exactly half of the questions each time, you'd expect my quant scores to be roughly the same for all 4 tests.

My 4 scaled scores were: 19, 23, 26 and 42

This represents a percentile range from approximately 8th percentile to the 63rd percentile.

So, don't worry about how many questions you answered correctly. It has little to do with your score.

Aside: If you're interested, here's a video explaining the GMAT scoring algorithm:

_________________

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Turning my handicaps into assets
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 78
CAT Tests
Re: Q46 with 19 incorrect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 07:28
GMATPrepNow wrote:
As others have noted, your scores are not based on how many questions you answer correctly; they're based on the level of difficulty of the questions you answer correctly/incorrectly.

To illustrate this, I'll share an experiment I performed.

When I was writing an article about the official GMAT software, I took the GMATPrep Practice Test #1 four times, and each time I answered every second question correctly, That is, I purposely answered all of the ODD questions correctly and all of the EVEN questions incorrectly. (I did this for the quant section only)

Given that I correctly answered exactly half of the questions each time, you'd expect my quant scores to be roughly the same for all 4 tests.

My 4 scaled scores were: 19, 23, 26 and 42

This represents a percentile range from approximately 8th percentile to the 63rd percentile.

So, don't worry about how many questions you answered correctly. It has little to do with your score.

Aside: If you're interested, here's a video explaining the GMAT scoring algorithm:



GMATPrepNow,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate that.
_________________

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 509
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Q46 with 19 incorrect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 08:23
Mehemmed wrote:
Hi there,

I've just finished GMATPrep exam 1 and received Q46 with 19 incorrect answers. Is it possible that my wrong answers being more than the right ones and still I got Q46? I'm a bit confused now.


Yes, this is completely possible! The short explanation is that your score isn't based on how many you get right. That's a lot to get your head around when you've been taking tests your whole life that are based on the % correct. But the GMAT just doesn't work that way - it's an item-adaptive test, which intentionally ignores the number of questions you get right and wrong.

Here's a much longer explanation of how it actually works, and what this means: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... mat-quant/
_________________

Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Turning my handicaps into assets
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 78
CAT Tests
Re: Q46 with 19 incorrect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:10
ccooley wrote:
Mehemmed wrote:
Hi there,

I've just finished GMATPrep exam 1 and received Q46 with 19 incorrect answers. Is it possible that my wrong answers being more than the right ones and still I got Q46? I'm a bit confused now.


Yes, this is completely possible! The short explanation is that your score isn't based on how many you get right. That's a lot to get your head around when you've been taking tests your whole life that are based on the % correct. But the GMAT just doesn't work that way - it's an item-adaptive test, which intentionally ignores the number of questions you get right and wrong.

Here's a much longer explanation of how it actually works, and what this means: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... mat-quant/


Thank you for the answer.
_________________

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Re: Q46 with 19 incorrect   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2018, 09:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Q46 with 19 incorrect

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.