It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 15:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

quant advice needed urgently

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
quant advice needed urgently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 11:31
Just took the GMAT 3 hours ago, score: 700 Q44 V44.
Given that I wish to apply for MSc finance and that I need q49/q50 to make up for my lack of a 'quantitative undergraduate degree', q44 is a bit of a disaster and i promptly canceled my score. I seized up and began panicking for the first 2 questions and am quite positive that i got them both wrong. I've never before ever had test-fright like it :cry: sweating, fidgeting, dropping pens....i guess i just wasn't used to a computer test with 3 walls around my desk and a hard-ish mixture/averages question. even after those 2 i couldn't quite focus on any slightly difficult, 600-700 range questions for the rest of the exam, largely because i kind of knew i'd screwed up big time.

I intend to retake the test again asap (3rd of Feb) due to looming application deadlines in the middle of next month. I had a good 3-4 month serious revision period, went through the MGMAT books and did 4 CATs (2 MGMAT and 2 GMATprep in order) getting Q45, Q46, Q48 and Q49. on a daily basis i did around 15-20 700-level quant questions on this site and whilst i did struggle with the more challenging probability and RTW/DST questions, i barely even saw them on my test. I really dont know if this result was a randomly tragic anomaly, if my level is not high enough or if i just went in cold.
Given that this was such a train-wreck, i'm not too sure where exactly the fault lies.

What are '700-level' questions on this website? Are these questions which would challenge even a Q50 scorer or are they just the top 10% hardest on the GMAT. At the same time, i've heard of candidates scoring q49/50 even though they periodically skip the 5-6 hardest 700-level questions. I'm considering practicing more 600-700 level questions so i dont get caught out.
considering that i have just over 2 weeks, does anyone have a method/experience in going from q44 to at least q49 in such a time?

Maybe even starting the test with verbal section so that im not that 'cold' when i do get to the quant section. anybody who's had success with such an approach please let me know :-)
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.55
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Re: quant advice needed urgently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 08:49
takasar12 wrote:

What are '700-level' questions on this website? Are these questions which would challenge even a Q50 scorer or are they just the top 10% hardest on the GMAT. At the same time, i've heard of candidates scoring q49/50 even though they periodically skip the 5-6 hardest 700-level questions. I'm considering practicing more 600-700 level questions so i dont get caught out.
considering that i have just over 2 weeks, does anyone have a method/experience in going from q44 to at least q49 in such a time?

this is a question I have as well. they often seem disproportionately difficult to the average of the practice tests that I take...
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 13:10
destinyawaits wrote:
takasar12 wrote:

this is a question I have as well. they often seem disproportionately difficult to the average of the practice tests that I take...

They do seem a lot more difficult than the GMATprep practice tests but i have no idea whether or not they are more difficult than the actual exam's hardest questions. I think where i screwed up was that i neglected to practice those easier 500-700 level questions and got caught out early. But what i dont even understand is why we persist in labelling them '700 level' questions because the two sections are not even scored that way....i mean, i got a 700 overall, but my quant score was in 52nd percentile! Wouldnt it be better to label them "Q45 level questions" or "Q50 level questions" instead?? Just curious...
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 02:29
To improve Quant score, i would suggest you to go through Maths Revolution 700+ Questions , those questions can help you identify your weak areas and hence you can start working on those. Manhattan GMAT prep is also another prep material for good Quant resource.

All the best and go for it :-)
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 11:28
takasar12 wrote:
Just took the GMAT 3 hours ago, score: 700 Q44 V44.
Given that I wish to apply for MSc finance and that I need q49/q50 to make up for my lack of a 'quantitative undergraduate degree', q44 is a bit of a disaster and i promptly canceled my score. I seized up and began panicking for the first 2 questions and am quite positive that i got them both wrong. I've never before ever had test-fright like it :cry: sweating, fidgeting, dropping pens....i guess i just wasn't used to a computer test with 3 walls around my desk and a hard-ish mixture/averages question. even after those 2 i couldn't quite focus on any slightly difficult, 600-700 range questions for the rest of the exam, largely because i kind of knew i'd screwed up big time.

I intend to retake the test again asap (3rd of Feb) due to looming application deadlines in the middle of next month. I had a good 3-4 month serious revision period, went through the MGMAT books and did 4 CATs (2 MGMAT and 2 GMATprep in order) getting Q45, Q46, Q48 and Q49. on a daily basis i did around 15-20 700-level quant questions on this site and whilst i did struggle with the more challenging probability and RTW/DST questions, i barely even saw them on my test. I really dont know if this result was a randomly tragic anomaly, if my level is not high enough or if i just went in cold.
Given that this was such a train-wreck, i'm not too sure where exactly the fault lies.

Maybe even starting the test with verbal section so that im not that 'cold' when i do get to the quant section. anybody who's had success with such an approach please let me know :-)

I'd recommend un-cancelling that score. It's generally better to have a score on record than not to have one, and schools will have no problem with you having two official scores. Particularly if you do better the second time, that can establish a narrative of hard work / self-improvement that can read positively to your schools. 700 is also a 90th percentile score - higher overall than 90% of test-takers - which is excellent.

You can miss or skip questions and still score very high on Quant, although I'd recommend checking this out:

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/arti ... ak-700.cfm

You may also want to pick up the MPrep Advanced Quant guide.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Re: quant advice needed urgently   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2018, 11:28

quant advice needed urgently

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap