GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Quant - How many difficult questions can be afforded to go wrong?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Quant - How many difficult questions can be afforded to go wrong? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 10:41
1. Quant: I am trying to maintain accuracy and this is the reason that even I am not able to complete my exam on time.
I consistently see very high difficult questions. Went through a lot of posts. And found that after few question I need to identify very high difficulty problems and make guess if it seems to be unsolvable in around 2 min.
What to do if continuous difficult problems pop up? One I know is not to spend lot of time on any as it will generate high penalty at the end.

2. Also how many difficult question can be afforded in first 10 questions in both quant and verbal?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: Quant - How many difficult questions can be afforded to go wrong? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 02:07
Don't worry about the exact number of skipped/missed problems. Guess when you don't know how to do a problem, or when you know that doing it would take 2:30 or longer. Also guess if you have fallen behind and need to catch back up, but try not to guess on strings of questions in a row if you can help it.

If you let questions go that are too hard, you should eventually reach an equilibrium where you are seeing a mix of problems that are at or a bit above your level, so yes, they will feel hard unless you crash and miss many in a row. Do your best on the test as a whole--this usually means NOT trying your hardest on every single question. You have to make decisions about which problems to work on and which to let go. A good rule of thumb is that if you're doing well in quant (anywhere from a good to a great score), it's normal to see 57% accuracy. For verbal, you may get to 70% accuracy or higher. If your verbal score is in the mid-40's, you may only miss a few, but this varies more than you'd think, depending on which exact questions you're missing, and in what order!

As for the "first 10" issue, it's a myth, so don't concentrate on getting a certain % of the first 10 right.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Quant - How many difficult questions can be afforded to go wrong? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 08:31
angarg wrote:
1. Quant: I am trying to maintain accuracy and this is the reason that even I am not able to complete my exam on time.
I consistently see very high difficult questions. Went through a lot of posts. And found that after few question I need to identify very high difficulty problems and make guess if it seems to be unsolvable in around 2 min.
What to do if continuous difficult problems pop up? One I know is not to spend lot of time on any as it will generate high penalty at the end.

2. Also how many difficult question can be afforded in first 10 questions in both quant and verbal?

Hi angarg,

You ask a really interesting question. However, as I am constantly telling my students, overanalysis can lead to paralysis. First and foremost, I’d like to see whether you are on a preparation path that is going to lead you to GMAT success. So, I’d like to learn some more about you. Once I have answers to the following questions, I can provide some tailored advice.

1) How many times have you taken the actual GMAT? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken the GMAT, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Can you please email me the Enhanced Score Reports from any GMATs you’ve taken in the last four months? Even if you’ve canceled a score, you can still order the Enhanced Score Report. If you’ve taken only one GMAT, even if it was more than four months ago, please send me that Enhanced Score Report.

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you studied and what materials you used. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

4) If you did not hit your target GMAT score in a previous attempt, can you pinpoint why? What was missing?

5) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

6) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

7) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

8) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

9) What is your desired GMAT score?

10) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

11) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Thank you!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 10:38
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
angarg wrote:

Hi angarg,

You ask a really interesting question. However, as I am constantly telling my students, overanalysis can lead to paralysis. First and foremost, I’d like to see whether you are on a preparation path that is going to lead you to GMAT success. So, I’d like to learn some more about you. Once I have answers to the following questions, I can provide some tailored advice.

1) How many times have you taken the actual GMAT? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken the GMAT, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Can you please email me the Enhanced Score Reports from any GMATs you’ve taken in the last four months? Even if you’ve canceled a score, you can still order the Enhanced Score Report. If you’ve taken only one GMAT, even if it was more than four months ago, please send me that Enhanced Score Report.

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you studied and what materials you used. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

4) If you did not hit your target GMAT score in a previous attempt, can you pinpoint why? What was missing?

5) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

6) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

7) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

8) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

9) What is your desired GMAT score?

10) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

11) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Thank you!

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the answer.

I have not given the GMAT yet. I am planning to book my GMAT after 20-25 days from now.
I am hitting Quant score - 43 - 46 in Manhattan prep and hit 48 in GMAT prep 1 all given in past 15 days.

My desired Quant Score is 51.

Otherwise my quant is strong. Though in these exams while giving the exam I made some silly mistakes and I am working on removing those by practice.
But in CAT exams specifically after doing many correct, continuous high difficulty problems are seen which are tending to eat my time leading to less time for last questions.

So my strategy is to look out if I can really solve question with in time then make the best guess which might lead to wrong answer to high difficulty level questions.
Re: Quant - How many difficult questions can be afforded to go wrong?   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 10:38

Quant - How many difficult questions can be afforded to go wrong?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap