It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant revision materials and strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Quant revision materials and strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 11:50
Big fan of gmatclub, love the great advice and whole host of strategies and tactics on these pages.

I am actually a recently graduated student looking to apply for an MSc Finance at a top british university (oxford, LSE, warwick, etc) and, given that my undergraduate degree was not highly quantitative, have been advised to take the gmat and so prove my quantitative ability (need Q49, 85%). I have been preparing for close to 3 months, intending to sit it just after christmas and have been taken 3 manhattan tests and 1 gmatprep test.

the manhattan tests, particularly the quant section, were remarkably tough in comparison to the more official OG and gmatprep practice questions (never got above Q46). ive noticed many share this particular view. if true, what is the best way to use the manhattan CATs?

as for the gmatprep test, i achieved 710 (Q48, V40). The quant section was slightly easier, although i got 7 of the first 30 incorrect and 6 of the final 7 (lack of time). dont know how i scored in the 92nd percentile, given that my quant and verbal scores were in the 78th and 90th percentiles respectively.
these forums seem to be quite divided on the predictive ability of the gmatprep tests, particularly earlier posts from around 4-5 years ago where many saw them as too easy in comparison to the actual gmat itself. any advice on this much appreciated.

i practice questions mostly from the online versions of the OG (2017) and find, even the 300+ 'difficult' questions, to generally be a touch easier in comparison to the gmatprep and manhattan quant questions. anybody else feel this way?

in general, on the gmat, is it more damaging (statistically speaking) to answer 3+ questions incorrectly in the first 10 or to answer multiple wrong in a row later on?

any all help much appreciated.
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Quant revision materials and strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 19:56
takasar12 wrote:
Big fan of gmatclub, love the great advice and whole host of strategies and tactics on these pages.

I am actually a recently graduated student looking to apply for an MSc Finance at a top british university (oxford, LSE, warwick, etc) and, given that my undergraduate degree was not highly quantitative, have been advised to take the gmat and so prove my quantitative ability (need Q49, 85%). I have been preparing for close to 3 months, intending to sit it just after christmas and have been taken 3 manhattan tests and 1 gmatprep test.

the manhattan tests, particularly the quant section, were remarkably tough in comparison to the more official OG and gmatprep practice questions (never got above Q46). ive noticed many share this particular view. if true, what is the best way to use the manhattan CATs?

as for the gmatprep test, i achieved 710 (Q48, V40). The quant section was slightly easier, although i got 7 of the first 30 incorrect and 6 of the final 7 (lack of time). dont know how i scored in the 92nd percentile, given that my quant and verbal scores were in the 78th and 90th percentiles respectively.
these forums seem to be quite divided on the predictive ability of the gmatprep tests, particularly earlier posts from around 4-5 years ago where many saw them as too easy in comparison to the actual gmat itself. any advice on this much appreciated.

i practice questions mostly from the online versions of the OG (2017) and find, even the 300+ 'difficult' questions, to generally be a touch easier in comparison to the gmatprep and manhattan quant questions. anybody else feel this way?

in general, on the gmat, is it more damaging (statistically speaking) to answer 3+ questions incorrectly in the first 10 or to answer multiple wrong in a row later on?

Non-official tests should not be used for (precise) scoring. As for the GMATPreps and your scores, the GMATPrep tests are very accurate. They don't, however, simulate test day pressure. Scores: Q48 is currently 69%, which could be a problem if your school wants strong evidence that your quantitative skills are up to the mark. Also, Q49 is currently 75%, not 85% (Q50 is 86%). Check with your schools directly and ask them whether they have a particular scaled score in mind. You could also check with the consultants here.

As for your question on how to spread your mistakes out, you will not be able to get an accurate answer. Treat all questions as equally important and ensure that you finish the test (don't leave any questions).

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 01:54
AjiteshArun wrote:
takasar12 wrote:

Non-official tests should not be used for (precise) scoring. As for the GMATPreps and your scores, the GMATPrep tests are very accurate. They don't, however, simulate test day pressure. Scores: Q48 is currently 69%, which could be a problem if your school wants strong evidence that your quantitative skills are up to the mark. Also, Q49 is currently 75%, not 85% (Q50 is 86%). Check with your schools directly and ask them whether they have a particular scaled score in mind. You could also check with the consultants.

As for your question on how to spread your mistakes out, you will not be able to get an accurate answer. Treat all questions as equally important and ensure that you finish the test (don't leave any questions).

thanks for the feedback. with regards to scaled scores, the gmatprep results breakdown, itself, said that q48 was 78%. is the software out-of-date?
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 02:17
takasar12 wrote:
thanks for the feedback. with regards to scaled scores, the gmatprep results breakdown, itself, said that q48 was 78%. is the software out-of-date?
It is, but that's not as big an issue as it might appear to be. The GMATPreps are built to generate scaled scores (like the 6-51 and 200-800 scores). They're still doing that job well. The percentile calculation, however, is done on the basis of data from the last 3 years on how common each scaled score was. That table changes every year.

It is that table that is not updated in GMATPrep, so the percentile check has to be done manually for the current percentiles. If you want, you can check the latest percentiles here.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 17:17
AjiteshArun wrote:
takasar12 wrote:
It is, but that's not as big an issue as it might appear to be. The GMATPreps are built to generate scaled scores (like the 6-51 and 200-800 scores). They're still doing that job well. The percentile calculation, however, is done on the basis of data from the last 3 years on how common each scaled score was. That table changes every year.

It is that table that is not updated in GMATPrep, so the percentile check has to be done manually for the current percentiles. If you want, you can check the latest percentiles here.

Ah, ok. Makes sense. Just to clarify, the score is likely accurate but the percentile is lower than what it would have been 2/3 years ago?
Wow...I'd heard of competition pushing up the grades but just didnt anticipate this level of change/improvement.

Thanks for clearing that up
Re: Quant revision materials and strategies   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2017, 17:17

Quant revision materials and strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap