GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 12:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

     November 22, 2018

     November 22, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     November 24, 2018

     November 24, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Quant section questions

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Dec 2017
Posts: 27
Quant section questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 11:49
Big fan of gmatclub, love the great advice and whole host of strategies and tactics on these pages. Not quite sure where this small set of questions belongs but this seems quite an appropriate place given that most are about the quant section

I am actually a recently graduated student looking to apply for an MSc Finance at a top british university (oxford, LSE, warwick, etc) and, given that my undergraduate degree was not highly quantitative, have been advised to take the gmat and so prove my quantitative ability (need Q49, 85%). I have been preparing for close to 3 months, intending to sit it just after christmas and have been taken 3 manhattan tests and 1 gmatprep test.

the manhattan tests, particularly the quant section, were remarkably tough in comparison to the more official OG and gmatprep practice questions (never got above Q46). ive noticed many share this particular view. if true, what is the best way to use the manhattan CATs?

as for the gmatprep test, i achieved 710 (Q48, V40). The quant section was slightly easier, although i got 7 of the first 30 incorrect and 6 of the final 7 (lack of time). dont know how i scored in the 92nd percentile, given that my quant and verbal scores were in the 78th and 90th percentiles respectively.
these forums seem to be quite divided on the predictive ability of the gmatprep tests, particularly earlier posts from around 4-5 years ago where many saw them as too easy in comparison to the actual gmat itself. any advice on this much appreciated.

i practice questions mostly from the online versions of the OG (2017) and find, even the 300+ 'difficult' questions, to generally be a touch easier in comparison to the gmatprep and manhattan quant questions. anybody else feel this way?

in general, on the gmat, is it more damaging (statistically speaking) to answer 3+ questions incorrectly in the first 10 or to answer multiple wrong in a row later on?

any all help much appreciated.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 635
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Quant section questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 12:00
takasar12 wrote:
the manhattan tests, particularly the quant section, were remarkably tough in comparison to the more official OG and gmatprep practice questions (never got above Q46). ive noticed many share this particular view. if true, what is the best way to use the manhattan CATs?


You're not the only one to bring this up. My own theory is that the MPrep tests are scored accurately, but they have slightly more word problems (and slightly harder word problems) than the real thing. Since word problems are a weakness for many of us, this makes the MPrep quant feel a bit tougher. That said, the GMAC won't reveal very much information to us or to anybody about how their scoring algorithm works. All we know is that our practice tests were looked over by Larry Rudner - a former head of the GMAC - and he confirmed that they're accurate to how the real GMAT behaves. I think that's enough to take them seriously and treat them as both good practice and good data, without doing anything special.

Quote:
i practice questions mostly from the online versions of the OG (2017) and find, even the 300+ 'difficult' questions, to generally be a touch easier in comparison to the gmatprep and manhattan quant questions. anybody else feel this way?


Are you doing these problems one at a time, or in sets? Are you using a timer? Doing problems in the context of a full practice test is much harder than doing them individually.

Quote:
in general, on the gmat, is it more damaging (statistically speaking) to answer 3+ questions incorrectly in the first 10 or to answer multiple wrong in a row later on?


We don't know for sure, but it probably depends on where in the test you miss those questions and how well you're doing prior to that point. In general, I can tell you that it's never good to miss many (more than 4 or so) questions in a row.

It's a little ambiguous whether it's worse to miss multiple questions at the beginning or at the end. The test makes bigger score adjustments at the beginning of each section, so missing a bunch of questions at the beginning will cause a bigger temporary drop in your score. However, you still have the entire rest of the section to recover. On the other hand, if you miss multiple questions at the end, the temporary effect on your score is smaller. But, you won't have any time left to fix the situation, so you're stuck with it.

The ideal way to take the test is to miss questions intermittently - missing one every couple of questions, rather than missing a lot in a row at any point. This will probably involve some proactive guessing.
_________________

Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Dec 2017
Posts: 27
Re: Quant section questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 15:43
ccooley wrote:
takasar12 wrote:
the manhattan tests, particularly the quant section, were remarkably tough in comparison to the more official OG and gmatprep practice questions (never got above Q46). ive noticed many share this particular view. if true, what is the best way to use the manhattan CATs?


You're not the only one to bring this up. My own theory is that the MPrep tests are scored accurately, but they have slightly more word problems (and slightly harder word problems) than the real thing. Since word problems are a weakness for many of us, this makes the MPrep quant feel a bit tougher. That said, the GMAC won't reveal very much information to us or to anybody about how their scoring algorithm works. All we know is that our practice tests were looked over by Larry Rudner - a former head of the GMAC - and he confirmed that they're accurate to how the real GMAT behaves. I think that's enough to take them seriously and treat them as both good practice and good data, without doing anything special.

Quote:
i practice questions mostly from the online versions of the OG (2017) and find, even the 300+ 'difficult' questions, to generally be a touch easier in comparison to the gmatprep and manhattan quant questions. anybody else feel this way?


Are you doing these problems one at a time, or in sets? Are you using a timer? Doing problems in the context of a full practice test is much harder than doing them individually.

Quote:
in general, on the gmat, is it more damaging (statistically speaking) to answer 3+ questions incorrectly in the first 10 or to answer multiple wrong in a row later on?


We don't know for sure, but it probably depends on where in the test you miss those questions and how well you're doing prior to that point. In general, I can tell you that it's never good to miss many (more than 4 or so) questions in a row.

It's a little ambiguous whether it's worse to miss multiple questions at the beginning or at the end. The test makes bigger score adjustments at the beginning of each section, so missing a bunch of questions at the beginning will cause a bigger temporary drop in your score. However, you still have the entire rest of the section to recover. On the other hand, if you miss multiple questions at the end, the temporary effect on your score is smaller. But, you won't have any time left to fix the situation, so you're stuck with it.

The ideal way to take the test is to miss questions intermittently - missing one every couple of questions, rather than missing a lot in a row at any point. This will probably involve some proactive guessing.


thanks for the speedy response.
as to the OG questions, i try to do each within a 2.5 minute timeframe, which is similar to what i would give myself in a real test.
fair enough, that makes sense. personally, i try to get at least the first 30/31 done properly and guess the final 5 if time is running out. maybe i should try guessing a in the 20-30 section to help better pace myself.
in your experience, is there a significant gap between q48 and q49?
any knowledge you may have about the gmatprep CATs would also be much appreciated.

thanks again.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Quant section questions &nbs [#permalink] 13 Dec 2017, 15:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Quant section questions

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.