GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Oct 2019, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Question about applying to EMBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Question about applying to EMBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 04:37
Hi,

I am 35 years old Indian (Male) , working with an MNC in India (Bangalore) having 13 years of experience. I am planning to write GMAT and apply to Executive MBA programs in US and Canada.
My question is : To get into Executive MBA programs in the US or Canada , should I be having a job in that country ? i.e. Should I be working in the US, if I need to apply for an EMBA programs in the US ?
Does EMBA programs in the US/Canada accept (self sponsored) international students (as I am doubtful that my company will sponsor me) ?
If not, are there any Full time EMBA programs in the US or Canada for which there is no prerequisite to be working in that country ?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.79
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Question about applying to EMBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 07:24
Why you targeting EMBA program? Like what are the benefits and why not full MBA ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 22:05
Well the average age for Full time MBA programs is around 28-29 years, I thought my chances will be slim in getting through for Full time MBA.
Do you think that Full time MBA programs will accept older applicants ?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.79
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 22:13
Yes why not, when they can accept younger applicant, there is no such problem of age. It’s all about quality of work experience, your essay, and your gmat score. Get around 720+ and then it will be really difficult for the college to reject you with such profile. Let age do not come in your way :)

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 23:07
phrenetic: Overaged applicants are not necessarily disqualified from applying to full time MBA programs. Full time and EMBA programs have very different purposes. Full time MBA is ideal for those who have spent some time in the industry (5-7 years) and are now want to try out new things e.g. Jumping into another industry or job function; whereas, EMBA is primarily for the more seasoned applicants with greater work experience who are not looking to make any big career change after MBA but want to do it to make faster progress in the same organization/industry. So if you want to switch industry/function after MBA, EMBA won't be a good option for you.

There are few programs that offer full time options for the more experienced candidates e.g. Stanford MSx or MIT Sloan Fellows. You could also consider 1 year programs offered by Kellogg and Cornell. INSEAD is also more open to candidates with greater work experience in its regular MBA program.

We also have a dedicated chapter on full time vs part time vs EMBA programs in GMAT Club MBA guide. You can download the guide for free here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-mb ... 66258.html

Good luck!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 06:11
phrenetic well I won't discourage you from applying or trying, I will say that right now we are entering round 3 for full-time programs in the US, which is extremely difficult for Indians to crack because they are so over-represented.

And also in the US there is a preference for younger applicants, 35 is not an impossibility but it is way on the outside and very unlikely for someone who is not what they call quote diverse.

However, in Canada I would encourage you to go for Ivy, the top program there, and there is an upcoming round for Rotman and York, it is round 3 but they each have four rounds.

Right now the season is more for part-time weekend and executive programs, if you had a job in Chicago the landscape would be very different, with the part-time programs at Kellogg and Booth.

The deadline is next week for Sloan fellows in MIT but in April there is round 3 for Sloan fellows which is called Stanford MSX. That's definitely for the 30-something professional who wants a full one year sabbatical, who has 8 plus years of work experience. I think the average GMAT is around 700.

Are you completely fixed on Canada or the US? In Europe there are plenty of programs that start in January and I would recommend you focus on that.

You're still a little on the older side for those programs as well but within the range. for IMD, the average age is 31. The average age for HEC is 30 so I would recommend you go for R2 January batch IMD and HEC, where the average GMAT is 680 and 690 respectively, GRE also accepted. Insead Jan batch if you have a GMAT score around 730 or more; the average age there is 29.

Some of the slightly less competitive but still excellent Jan programs include IE, in Spain, RSM in the Netherlands, SBA Bocconi in Madrid. Might also consider ESADE, in Barcelona where they have a pretty high average work experience.

They just passed some law that would allow you to spend a year in Spain after graduating similar to OPT in the US.

Here is a link to all the deadlines I just mentioned and I also linked the program names to upcoming webinar sessions.

https://mbaessaycoaching.com/top-program-deadlines/
Re: Question about applying to EMBA   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2019, 06:11

Question about applying to EMBA

new topic post reply Update application status