Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Schools want to know they can place you in a job. I was actually told by one person that is part of the evaluation. As long as you can tie what you do with what they will teach you and how that gets you to IB then go for it. If you are an engineer (seems like we all are) talk about the heavy analytical and quant stuff you do at your job. Show the skills that an IB needs that you have, then show you know what you need to learn at bschool.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Schools want to know they can place you in a job.

So, saying that we want to work on our own / start our own business post MBA can damage our chances?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
riverripper wrote:

So, saying that we want to work on our own / start our own business post MBA can damage our chances?

Well, there is a difference between saying you want to start a business and want a job in an industry where you will have difficulty getting placed. Schools really do want you to succeed, not only because someday you might give them millions but mostly because its a good reflection on their brand.

The point I was trying to make is that your goal needs to make some sense. A high school english teacher saying they want to start an educational services company seems much more likely than them saying they want to work for Goldman. Which one do you think is more plausible? Or a software engineer saying they want to start a software company that does X. That makes a lot more sense than him saying he wants to do real estate development cause he saw a house flipping show on TLC (unless thats his hobby now).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Very helpful, thanks. I agree with what you said, it confirms what I have heard/read over time.

My main point of concern is, however, how specific I should be about my goals. Meaning, should I say that I wanna go into IB (and stop there), or that I am interested in an M&A advisory position with a group that specializes in the dishwasher manufacturing industry, not knowing anything about what that group does and how it does it... How detailed should be my goals description?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
mNeo wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Well, there is a difference between saying you want to start a business and want a job in an industry where you will have difficulty getting placed. Schools really do want you to succeed, not only because someday you might give them millions but mostly because its a good reflection on their brand.

The point I was trying to make is that your goal needs to make some sense. A high school english teacher saying they want to start an educational services company seems much more likely than them saying they want to work for Goldman. Which one do you think is more plausible? Or a software engineer saying they want to start a software company that does X. That makes a lot more sense than him saying he wants to do real estate development cause he saw a house flipping show on TLC (unless thats his hobby now).

Yeah .. makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I was worried there for a while.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
Yeah .. makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I was worried there for a while.

To add to that, schools want to know that you can find a job either through their career center or on your own. If you can detail how you will look for connections with VC/Startups while in school to "place" yourself, then the school will not worry about you finding a job after graduation.

PM me if you need more info on that, mNeo.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
My main point of concern is, however, how specific I should be about my goals. Meaning, should I say that I wanna go into IB (and stop there), or that I am interested in an M&A advisory position with a group that specializes in the dishwasher manufacturing industry, not knowing anything about what that group does and how it does it... How detailed should be my goals description?

As a career changer myself (I want to do marketing), I had a similar situation. Basically, I (like you) researched marketing careers enough that I was able to show that I knew what the career entailed. I then tried to pick out a few undergrad, work and extracurricular experiences that related to marketing. I also wrote a bit about how I got interested in marketing and what it is about a marketing career that excites me. Finally, I researched some companies and did a couple of informational interviews to get more of a "day in the life" perspective.

I didn't go into specific types of companies that I would want to work for because, like you, I'm not really sure about that yet. However, like kryzak said, it seems that the schools want to know that you have a really good idea of what you'll be getting into and why the new career is a good fit for you so that you'll be more likely to stick with it and be able to get a job after graduation.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]