It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quickest way to improve quant?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Quickest way to improve quant? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2009, 17:36
I am retaking the GMAT in a week. My quant is alright, but I have trouble with the intuitive applications of quant on certain problem-solving and data sufficiency questions. Is there any advice that anyone can give me to suggest how I could improve this?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: Quickest way to improve quant? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2009, 05:42
Hi vishal84

Well, i can tell you my approach with some of the problems.
For, questions of expressions with variables and inequalities, try to assume some values like 0,1,2,-2,2.5 etc for the variables according to the given conditions. u can certainly save your time using this.
DS questions need not be solved fully, but u need to examine the conditions carefully.
Keep your basics clear n u ll be a winner.
All the best for your exam. :P

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2009, 05:44
I always for get negatives/fraction...terrible......I would do OG problems timed..maybe even cut time down like 1:30 per question to simulate stress.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2009, 18:18
Vishal84,

A tip I recently discovered for data sufficiency problems is below:

In order for an equation to be sufficiently solved there needs to be at least as many equations as there are variables. So, for example, if you have 3 variables you will need at least 3 different equations to be provided for the questions to be sufficiently solvable.

This tip is very specific and might be a bit too narrow but it really helped me on a few data sufficiency questions.

I hope this helps you out!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2009, 05:54
NC2CHI wrote:
Vishal84,

A tip I recently discovered for data sufficiency problems is below:

In order for an equation to be sufficiently solved there needs to be at least as many equations as there are variables. So, for example, if you have 3 variables you will need at least 3 different equations to be provided for the questions to be sufficiently solvable.

This tip is very specific and might be a bit too narrow but it really helped me on a few data sufficiency questions.

I hope this helps you out!

Also..be carfeful of equations that are the same, but are factored differently, etc to look diffferent..common trick...

Re: Quickest way to improve quant?   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2009, 05:54