GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 02:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 04:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:42) correct 57% (01:58) wrong based on 542 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are beginning to take shape at a grass roots level permitted by the new Chinese leadership.

(A) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are

(B) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles,a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is

(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles,as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is

(D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are

(E) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles are
Manager
Manager
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 05:10
(A) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are

(B) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles,a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is

(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles,as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is

> "Organizing is beginning" is awkward

(D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are >> They is referred to..?

(E) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles are

Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 05:37
hi iamdp

though E is correct, isn't E changing the meaning of sentence. I rejected i.

Option C : how is the structure Organizing Rallies is beginning to take shape awkward. Can you please clarify..
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 21:53
Shawnik wrote:
hi iamdp

Option C : how is the structure Organizing Rallies is beginning to take shape awkward. Can you please clarify..

It is not madatory that the correct answer has the same meaning as that of the original sentence. It may so be the case that the intended meaning is different from that of the original sentence or option A. When two gramatically correct sentences differ in meaning, only then eliminate one on the basis that it does not match with the meaning of the original.

The problem in option C is the usage of "as". This conjunction "as" does not fit here in any of its three possible meanings (duration, causation or comparison - examples from Manhattan SC guide):

Duration As: AS I strolled to the store, I smelled the air. (= while, during)
Causation As: I will not tell you, AS you already know. (= since, because)
Comparison As: You should walk AS she wants you to. (= in the same way)
Retired Moderator
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 06:50
anujasterisk90 wrote:
Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles
which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are
beginning to take
shape at a grass roots level permitted by the new Chinese leadership.

(A) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles
which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are
(B)Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles,
a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is
(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles,
as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is
(D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction
with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are
(E) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction
with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles are

Took 2 mins...fight was between C and E.
Meaning : Organizing rallies are prohibited by CL and such rallies are again beginning to take a shape.

A)Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are - there should be comma before which and if we have so which is modifying principles.
B)Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is - need to have plural.
C)Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is - There is no comparison needed here or the function to describe, here we have meaning error.
D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are - no proper antecedent.
E)Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles are - Correct...
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 12:51
anujasterisk90 wrote:
Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are beginning to take shape at a grass roots level permitted by the new Chinese leadership.

(B)Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is
(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is
(D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are

Great Question!!

At first after reading the sentence I thought that rallies are beginning to take shape (They were probably not organized before) and started searching for the answer choice. Realize later that it is a convoluted question :)

(A) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are. If 'which' refers to 'democratic principles', it must be followed by a plural verb 'were'

(B)Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is. 'is' is a verb for 'rallies' and hence must be plural.

(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is. No comparison is stated in the sentence.

(D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are. What is 'they refering to? Chinese leaders?

(E) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles are. Correct choice.
Complete sentence is followed after 'but'
usage of 'such principles' makes the intended meaning clear
Correct contrast is present.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 08:24
Divyadisha wrote:
anujasterisk90 wrote:

(B)Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is
(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is

Great Question!!

At first after reading the sentence I thought that rallies are beginning to take shape (They were probably not organized before) and started searching for the answer choice. Realize later that it is a convoluted question :)

(A) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are. If 'which' refers to 'democratic principles', it must be followed by a plural verb 'were'

(B)Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is. 'is' is a verb for 'rallies' and hence must be plural.

(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is. No comparison is stated in the sentence.

(D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are. What is 'they refering to? Chinese leaders?

(E) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles are. Correct choice.
Complete sentence is followed after 'but'
usage of 'such principles' makes the intended meaning clear
Correct contrast is present.

I believe that all answers are wrong. You are right when you eliminate options A, B, C, and D.

While choice E is grammatically correct and its meaning is clear, it changes the meaning of the original sentence.

If we skip the modifier of rallies - “Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are beginning to take shape at a grass roots level permitted by the new Chinese leadership”- we get - “Rallies are beginning to take shape …”, not –“such principles are beginning to take shape …

This change in meaning makes answer E incorrect.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 18:12
My issue with this question is that A to me isn't ungrammatical enough to rule out. "Which" can refer to the "dissemination of democratic principles".

Can someone please help me understand how this is a pronoun reference error? Because to me its antecedent is literally right before it. On top of the fact it is logically sound.

Furthermore, answer choice E which is the OA, mentions principles as taking shape at a grassroots level. I would argue this word is more vague than the word rallies. In the context of this sentence, principles is vague. What does it mean for principles to take shape at a grass roots level? Rallies forming at a grassroots level makes significantly more sense to me.
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 13:30
r0ckst4r wrote:
My issue with this question is that A to me isn't ungrammatical enough to rule out. "Which" can refer to the "dissemination of democratic principles".

Can someone please help me understand how this is a pronoun reference error? Because to me its antecedent is literally right before it. On top of the fact it is logically sound.

Which without a comma preceding it is always incorrect in GMAT land....

r0ckst4r wrote:
Furthermore, answer choice E which is the OA, mentions principles as taking shape at a grassroots level. I would argue this word is more vague than the word rallies. In the context of this sentence, principles is vague. What does it mean for principles to take shape at a grass roots level? Rallies forming at a grassroots level makes significantly more sense to me.

Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles ( of organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles ) are beginning to take shape at a grass roots level permitted by the new Chinese leadership.

Does this help a bit...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 18:43
Abhishek009 wrote:
r0ckst4r wrote:

Which without a comma preceding it is always incorrect in GMAT land....

r0ckst4r wrote:

Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles ( of organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles ) are beginning to take shape at a grass roots level permitted by the new Chinese leadership.

Does this help a bit...

Thanks for the response. I didn't know which without comma is immediately wrong on the GMAT. In common literature I don't know if that rule exists (doesn't sound logical either). As for your explanation, I can see now what principles refers to, but simplifying "organizing rallies of x" to principles is still illogical to me and not a sound result. Organizing is an action, not a principle.

Overall I'm hoping someone can sell the OA as standing out as a correct sentence, and I just don't feel that way.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 04:51
sayantanc2k wrote:
Shawnik wrote:
hi iamdp

It is not madatory that the correct answer has the same meaning as that of the original sentence. It may so be the case that the intended meaning is different from that of the original sentence or option A. When two gramatically correct sentences differ in meaning, only then eliminate one on the basis that it does not match with the meaning of the original.

The problem in option C is the usage of "as". This conjunction "as" does not fit here in any of its three possible meanings (duration, causation or comparison - examples from Manhattan SC guide):

Duration As: AS I strolled to the store, I smelled the air. (= while, during)
Causation As: I will not tell you, AS you already know. (= since, because)
Comparison As: You should walk AS she wants you to. (= in the same way)

Other than the above problems, there is another big problem in C

as is a conjunction

So we are placing a clause in between whereas it would be much clear with an apposition

organizing rallies, apposition , is...

= organizing rallies is...

without as, C would have been a perfect answer. C needlessly changes an adjective phrase to a clause

Kudos if I helped ;)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 21:01
Came back to this question after some time. I conclude it's not a very good one.

A is grammatically correct (despite what the above post mentioned about which being plural - the which is referring to dissemination). Though the meaning it conveys is a bit different; it states the rallies are beginning to take shape at a grassroots level.

Option E states that the principles are beginning to take shape at grassroot levels.

I would prefer option A's meaning as that makes more sense, but option E does not have the passive construction A has. Ultimately I don't think these are black and white decision points a test-taker can clearly identify on a test.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 20:30
r0ckst4r wrote:
Came back to this question after some time. I conclude it's not a very good one.

A is grammatically correct (despite what the above post mentioned about which being plural - the which is referring to dissemination). Though the meaning it conveys is a bit different; it states the rallies are beginning to take shape at a grassroots level.

Option E states that the principles are beginning to take shape at grassroot levels.

I would prefer option A's meaning as that makes more sense, but option E does not have the passive construction A has. Ultimately I don't think these are black and white decision points a test-taker can clearly identify on a test.

Hi r0ckst4r and cledgard,

I too was looking for something which would suggest "Rallies are beginning to take shape". But the OA seems to be suggesting that it was principles that were taking shape. The entire meaning of the sentence would be altered in this case. Is'nt it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 07:36

--> lack of comma (,) before which.

(B) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is

--> clear and concise.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 04:47
(A) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are -- Incorrect usage of which, missing punctuation

(B)Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is – SV agreement error

(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is –- Incorrect usage of ‘as’ – as is used to denote – comparison, function, reason, simultaneous action – None fits here.

(D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are – pronoun in subject position refers to Chinese leaders leading to nonsensical meaning.

(E) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles are -- Correct
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 05:01
reachskishore wrote:
Hi r0ckst4r and cledgard,

I too was looking for something which would suggest "Rallies are beginning to take shape". But the OA seems to be suggesting that it was principles that were taking shape. The entire meaning of the sentence would be altered in this case. Is'nt it?

Yes, It does change the complete meaning but we need to make sure that the intended meaning is maintained only when we have an option, which is perfect.

For this particular question, none of the options that are providing the actual meaning is correct. Hence, We need to select the one that changes the meaning.

That's the reason E is correct.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 06:18

COMMA has no reason to be there. No continuity in sentence

(B) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is
rallies don't match with VERB is

Awkward construction

ambiguous THEY

correct, although a bit change in meaning

Actually similarity in D and E with just the difference of one pronoun should catch our eyes.

E

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: General Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 06:32

(A) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles which was once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, are - comma should be placed before "which" or if which modifies "principles" so we need plural

(B) Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, a practice that Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited, is - require plural

(C) Organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, as once prohibited by Communist Chinese leaders, is - conjunction "as" does not fit here since it cannot prove its function. Meaning error.

(D) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but they are - pronoun "they" cannot refer to proper antecedent

(E) Communist Chinese leaders once prohibited organizing rallies in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic principles, but such principles are - Correct

+1 kudos if you find my posts helpful

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 07:36
A."which" indicates a restrictive clause but must be preceded by a comma. The comma is absent here hence incorrect.

(B) Here "rallies" (plural) is the subject but the main verb "is" singular. Thus this option has SV error.

(C) Verb + ing can start a sentence but here the intended meaning is wrong. It means organazing rallies is taking shape at ground level instead of principles. Plus no contrast is shown

(D) here "they" is ambiguous.it can refer to leaders which makes the sentence non sensical

(E)Here contrast is shown. According to me it's correct.

If you feel the post helped you then do send me the kudos (damn theya re more valuable than $)

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 00:59
dominicraj wrote:

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Option A is incorrect as it is unclear to what “which” is referring. It should refer to organizing rallies but the placement means it is referring to the democratic principles. B is incorrect as the subject “Rallies” does not agree with the verb “is”. Option C states that organizing rallies is beginning to take shape. The democratic principles are beginning to take shape. Choice D has an ambiguity resulting from the pronoun ‘they’. It is unclear to whom ‘they’ is referring. Choice E is the correct answer.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic &nbs [#permalink] 31 Aug 2018, 00:59

Rallies organized in conjunction with the dissemination of democratic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap