Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 360 Q6 V31
GMAT 2: 600 Q44 V29
GMAT 3: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 4: 560 Q45 V23
GMAT 5: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 6: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: RC help needed!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Sivatorne,

We last discussed your studies approximately 4 weeks ago (and at that time, you had not taken any of the Official GMAC CATs/mocks yet), so before I can offer you any additional advice for this next phase of your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information about how you've studying since then:

1) Which CATs have you taken since then, when did you take them and how did you score on each (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Have you been using any new study materials during this time?
3) When is your exact Test Date? Are you taking your GMAT at a Test Center or are you taking the At-home GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sivatorne wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to prepare for RC section.
I have taken over 6 mocks including Varitas, Official Mock and Manhattan and almost all the time, I get CR and SC over 70% accuracy, and RC is around 20 to 30%, dropping my verbal score a lot.

I have an official exam coming up in three weeks.

Any help or tip much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Sivatorne,

Mastering RC is a challenge faced by many students. There is one fundamental mistake that most students do, that is trying to read the passage fast. The trick to ace RC is not to understand WHAT is written, but to understand WHY it is written. Let me take you through the 3 step process that helped me master RC.

STEP 1: INVOLVED READING

While reading the passage, focus on the role played by each sentence and understand what purpose does it serve? Simple questions that you can ask could be - does it support an argument, weaken it, oppose a viewpoint, provide more data, or bring in a different perspective and so on. The idea is to understand the transition in thoughts and which side is the author taking.

STEP 2: EVOLVED READING

Once you’ve understood the intent of each line, you can then choose to ignore the detail and focus on summarising the paragraphs in a line. Then, focus on the intent of each para and think about the structure of the passage. I even believe in identifying (at a high level) what is the main point of the passage even if there is no main point question attached. It helps in having more confidence in marking Inference or Organization based questions.

STEP 3: ANSWER CHOICE ELIMINATION

If the above two steps are done properly, this step is the easiest. All you need to do is, look at each question one-by-one and eliminate the answer choices from your evolved understanding of the passage. Involved and Evolved Reading will help you eliminate 4 choices in most of the questions. In few tough ones, you might be confused between 2 choices, but those can be easily eliminated by focusing on the following aspects:

• Scope of the choice – shouldn’t be out of scope or too limited in scope
  • Minute details – shouldn’t have half-truths and rest distortion
  • Confusing words – shouldn’t have words which seem similar but are different. You can refer to this video to learn the difference:

• Opposite – is opposite of what you should be looking for

These 3 steps are simple and you need to ensure that you practice using this method and perfect it to get high accuracy.

IT’S TIME CONSUMING – ISN’T IT?

This is one argument, which I hear several times and the only thing that I’ve to say is “Yes it is time-consuming but not more than what GMAT provides you with”. Even if you spend 3-4 mins in Step 1, 30 secs on Step 2 and 1 min each on answering the 4 questions, you still complete 4 questions in 8-9 mins, which to me is good enough. Now, the tricky thing is to complete Step 1 in 3-4 mins, you should keep the time pressure out of your mind and give the passage its due time. Initially you might spend even 8-9 mins doing Step 1 alone, but that’s ok. That’s how we human beings learn a new skill. Moreover, you’re not writing GMAT tomorrow, so spend time today and keep following the method. Once you solve around 40 passages using this approach, you will find time per passage optimizing.

IS THIS IS THE ONLY METHOD?

For someone who hasn’t been a Bibliophile – this method works well. Shortcuts such as reading first few lines or the question first work for students who are already at a pretty good level, not for those who are struggling. So, I would highly recommend using this methodology.

Hope this helped and feel free to contact if you have any further queries.

You can always write back to me here or the better way would be to connect over a call and have a discussion. You can schedule a free consultation call using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot