Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Reading Comprehension [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Anand,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion).

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function - and we ignore the two "outliers" (the 680 and the 500), then your 3 recent CAT score results - along with your prior Scores - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 610 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. It's possible that you've developed some 'bad habits' during your studies that are keeping you from scoring higher.

With a March 10th Test Date, you have about 4 weeks of study time remaining, so you could potentially improve enough to hit 650+. However, if you plan on studying until you hit 700+, then you will likely need at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study to get to the point that you can consistently score at that higher level.

Enhanced Score Reports are only available for the Official GMAT - and you can order one even for a 'cancelled' Score. Is the prior 610 you mentioned from a practice CAT or from the Official GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Rich

Scores 590 and 610 are from official Gmat Tests.Kindly assist me for the study plan and strategy for Verbal test to achieve close to 700. The score 610 I got after skipping 2 passages and some SCs and CRs at last which I could have solve easily but
initially invested lot of time in RCs. Kindly let me know to take ESR to analyze the Official Test.
Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Anand,

To start, you have to be specific about your Score Goal: Is it 650+, 700+ or "close to 700" (and if it's this one, then what EXACTLY does that mean? 680? 690?)?While each of those numbers is relatively close to one another, they will likely require different timelines and slightly different study plans to achieve. For example, assuming that your recent 610 (on February 7th), is an accurate assessment of your skills, then you would not need to improve RC at all to hit a 650 (you could pick up those additional points in SC and/or CR). However, if your ultimately Score Goal is 700+ (and you plan on studying until you hit that Goal), then you would almost certainly need to improve in ALL 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Rich,

I will accept the score between 670-700, however I will for sure put the effort to get 700.On 700 and above score my chances
are more for the desired colleges that is difference.Kindly let me know the plan to get those additional points in SC and CR.
Also I have almost 2 months of time before I can resume my official work. I am planning to give gmat around 5-6 march so that I can study more intensely that I didn't do in the last 2 months.Let me know this is suitable strategy or not. Kindly suggest around which date or when I can schedule the gmat date. What is approach to Verbal Section if you are looking a score 700 or close to it(670-690).

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Anand,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Anand,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. I see that you plan to take the GMAT in about 4 weeks and that your most recent verbal score is 24. I think it’s going to be a pretty tall order to make significant improvements to your verbal score in just 4 weeks. Are you able to study longer and take the GMAT once you are ready to do so? In any case, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal skills? In the meantime, you may find it helpful to read the following article:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success
GMAT Club Bot