GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 13:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ready to start preparing for the GMAT? Basic math level?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Ready to start preparing for the GMAT? Basic math level?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 03:09
Hello all,

I have bit of subjective question with regards to whether I am ready to take the GMAT. I appreciate that probably the best person to decide this is myself, but it would be great to hear from someone who is or have been in similar situation.

In a nutshell, I realised that my math is quite rusty and I spent the last month going over the Manhattan foundations of Math book. I did all of the sections and answered most of the questions at the end of the sections correct (occasionally I still got stuck). Yesterday, I took a diagnostic test and scored poorly on the quant part. My question is whether that is likely to be based on the fact that I have still not begun actually studying for the GMAT or it might be an indication that my basic math still needs improvement?

Is there anyway to check somewhere whether my math skills are good enough to cover the basics for the quant part?

Thank you for your time.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Ready to start preparing for the GMAT? Basic math level?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 07:46
kokus wrote:
Hello all,

I have bit of subjective question with regards to whether I am ready to take the GMAT. I appreciate that probably the best person to decide this is myself, but it would be great to hear from someone who is or have been in similar situation.

In a nutshell, I realised that my math is quite rusty and I spent the last month going over the Manhattan foundations of Math book. I did all of the sections and answered most of the questions at the end of the sections correct (occasionally I still got stuck). Yesterday, I took a diagnostic test and scored poorly on the quant part. My question is whether that is likely to be based on the fact that I have still not begun actually studying for the GMAT or it might be an indication that my basic math still needs improvement?

Is there anyway to check somewhere whether my math skills are good enough to cover the basics for the quant part?

Thank you for your time.

Hi kokus,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! Low Quant score may be because of lack of conceptual clarity. Most of the GMATPREP courses are well designed and take you through the basics before taking you to the advance topics.

For Quant You can try out the TTP course as it is phenomenal and covers the entire syllabus really well. Plus it has great reviews on GMATCLUB. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... h-focused/

Hope this helps. All the best.
P
Premium Member
Re: Ready to start preparing for the GMAT? Basic math level?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 10:05
I discovered that I needed to learn maths, not revise it. A problem with this site (and much material in general) is assume knowledge. There are many many questions posted here, which are a great practice resource, but many have answer like x+y=d without explaining why that equation is used, why those terms etc, which don't make them a good learning resource for beginners

If you feel that you need to learn maths, look to one of the many websites targeted at 12 year olds and work from the ground up

(and once you've learnt it, post nice explanatory answers for questions on gmatclub!)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 10:06
kokus wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you for your time.

Try TTP, it would help to improve your basics and help to get higher score
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 16:07
Hi kokus,

If you're looking for some additional free math help, then I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time testing your current skills on that material (or even re-building certain skills), you can start your GMAT studies.

When you do choose to formally begin your GMAT studies, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 02:23
Hey,

Thank you for the responses! However, before purchasing anything, I would like to find a place online where I can check where I am standing in terms of my knowledge with regards to the basic level of math needed for the GMAT.

If you could recommend such aptitude type of website or similar, please I am all in ears.

Thank you, once again!
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 17:22
Hi Kokus,

Can you take a full-length practice exam?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 20:01
kokus wrote:
Hey,

Thank you for the responses! However, before purchasing anything, I would like to find a place online where I can check where I am standing in terms of my knowledge with regards to the basic level of math needed for the GMAT.

If you could recommend such aptitude type of website or similar, please I am all in ears.

Thank you, once again!
When you say that you "took a diagnostic test", do you mean that you took one of the official practice tests? If yes, you can check how many questions in that test tested concepts that you were not aware of.
Re: Ready to start preparing for the GMAT? Basic math level?   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2019, 20:01

Ready to start preparing for the GMAT? Basic math level?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep