GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommendation Advice - Concerns over Recommender

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Recommendation Advice - Concerns over Recommender  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 02:36
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of applying to part time programs and need some advice on how to handle my supervisor at work re: the recommendation. I am not concerned at all about my supervisor’s ability to speak about my character, strengths, abilities, achievements, etc., but more so about the actual grammar, structure, and professionalism of the letter itself.

This may sound petty or belittling of my supervisor, but I am really concerned with her ability to create and use correct grammar and such in said letter. After seeing many pieces of work product she has created in the past (such as in-office memoranda, client presentations/e-mails, etc.), they’re usually inundated with grammatical errors, misspellings, sentence structure, etc. which is really a gigantic pet peeve of mine, given her managerial role with over 10 years of supervisory experience. Not discounting, she is extremely overworked and I would hate for her to rush through the letter which is my main recommendation.

Since the recommendations are done via email for the programs I am applying, which is the best way to approach this with her? I obviously think she wouldn’t mind if I reviewed a draft before she submitted it, but I do not want to mark up the letter with corrections to oblivion, thus causing a rift or strain in our working relationship. Should I consider other recommenders as a safety net? This supervisor is the really only supervisor I could use at this point as my past places of employment are too far removed in the past.

TL/DR: Concerned over my supervisor at work crafting a professionally-done letter for my MBA recommendation. Best way to handle to ensure a great letter?

Posted from my mobile device
Admission Consultant
P
Re: Recommendation Advice - Concerns over Recommender  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 09:57
sirevd1092 wrote:
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of applying to part time programs and need some advice on how to handle my supervisor at work re: the recommendation. I am not concerned at all about my supervisor’s ability to speak about my character, strengths, abilities, achievements, etc., but more so about the actual grammar, structure, and professionalism of the letter itself.

This may sound petty or belittling of my supervisor, but I am really concerned with her ability to create and use correct grammar and such in said letter. After seeing many pieces of work product she has created in the past (such as in-office memoranda, client presentations/e-mails, etc.), they’re usually inundated with grammatical errors, misspellings, sentence structure, etc. which is really a gigantic pet peeve of mine, given her managerial role with over 10 years of supervisory experience. Not discounting, she is extremely overworked and I would hate for her to rush through the letter which is my main recommendation.

Since the recommendations are done via email for the programs I am applying, which is the best way to approach this with her? I obviously think she wouldn’t mind if I reviewed a draft before she submitted it, but I do not want to mark up the letter with corrections to oblivion, thus causing a rift or strain in our working relationship. Should I consider other recommenders as a safety net? This supervisor is the really only supervisor I could use at this point as my past places of employment are too far removed in the past.

TL/DR: Concerned over my supervisor at work crafting a professionally-done letter for my MBA recommendation. Best way to handle to ensure a great letter?

Hi,

I see you working with two big constraints: 1. the recommender is your best bet at this point; 2. you doubt her ability to write a professional sounding letter.
So while you rack your brains a little harder on who could be an alternate recommender, you could try these two approaches:

1. Write a note for your recommender to 'remind' her of your strengths, weaknesses, corresponding examples and leadership experiences- the stuff that gets asked in recommendations. SHe can use this as reference point to frame her own letter. Infact this is recommended to every applicant. You can also share your essays and resume- it will give her an idea about the professionalism required in writing (and I hope you get it right:) )

2. If you think she will still not manage it, sit with her and ask her that you will frame the reco for her as she doesn't have the time to do it. She can speak while you type her thoughts down. You can give her that written document (grammatically correct) to make further changes.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Our new book on AMAZON Kindle: THE MOST DEFINITIVE GUIDE FOR MBA INTERVIEW PREPARATION

INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Recommendation Advice - Concerns over Recommender  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 17:00
sirevd1092 wrote:
Hello all,

This is what admissions consultants are for (one out of a million reasons) -- to be the heavy for this. If she is willing to accept a revised draft, mention the consultant will be editing the draft for clarity and to make sure it is all on-point. Then sympathize if she complains but emphasize the consultant is experienced and knows what it takes to get in etc.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recommendation Advice - Concerns over Recommender &nbs [#permalink] 09 Aug 2018, 17:00

Recommendation Advice - Concerns over Recommender

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap