GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 02:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

relative pronoun doubt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
relative pronoun doubt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 04:44
Below is a sentence from an exercise in foundations of GMAT verbal book.

I am supposed to find all the pronouns and antecedents in below sentence:

It is clear that the dog loves the new toy that Joey bought for it, so much so that Joey is glad he didn't spend the money on himself.

Isn't 'that' (bold one) a relative pronoun whose antecedent is 'new toy'?
The solution only lists it, it, he, himself as pronouns..

Can someone clarify? Thanks.

If you like it, give kudos. Thanks :)

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
~Vince Lombardi

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: relative pronoun doubt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 12:13
Teerex wrote:
Below is a sentence from an exercise in foundations of GMAT verbal book.

I am supposed to find all the pronouns and antecedents in below sentence:

It is clear that the dog loves the new toy that Joey bought for it, so much so that Joey is glad he didn't spend the money on himself.

Isn't 'that' (bold one) a relative pronoun whose antecedent is 'new toy'?
The solution only lists it, it, he, himself as pronouns..

Can someone clarify? Thanks.

Dear Teerex,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, my friend, if you are going to ask a question about something stated in a book, ALWAYS give more information about that book (e.g. the publisher) and ALWAYS give the exact page number & citation. ALWAYS make the blanket assumption that if there's something in a book that you don't understand, it may well be true that an expert will have to look at the book itself, look at the context of what you quoted, to answer your question.

As it happens, I know this MGMAT book well, and I found your sentence on page 34, question #5 in Drill 2.3. I simply want you to appreciate that the way you asked the question made me do the work for which you should have taken responsibility yourself. Learning is all about taking responsibility. If any student views anyone other than himself as 100% responsible for his own GMAT success, that student simply will not have success. Responsibility is crucial.

I have looked at that chapter. If you notice on pp. 30-31, in their list of "Categories of Pronouns," the MGMAT folks didn't even mention relative pronouns. That's a more difficult idea--in fact, it would be a totally mind-boggling idea for a beginner who is just trying to wrap his mind around what a pronoun is. For simplicity, they omitted relative pronouns in this discussion. Since they didn't teach it, they didn't test it in the exercises (it's always a move that could be viewed as unfair to test what we don't teach!)

You obviously have a more advanced understanding. You understand that there are relative pronouns and your recognize them. In fact, you are 100% correct---in the phrase
. . . the new toy that Joey bought for it. . .
the word "that" is a relative pronoun that opens a relative clause, a noun-modifying clause that modifies "the new toy."

You have a more advanced understanding and you were reading beginner level material and were getting confused because you knew things not discussed at the beginner level. Again, you need to take responsibility for where you are in your own understanding, taking nothing for granted, but at the same time, recognizing that material for beginners is what it is--of course it will not include more advanced ideas that you may know.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: relative pronoun doubt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 03:56
Umm.. actually they DO discuss relative pronouns on page 32 of the book(5th edition) and that is where I learned about relative pronouns and to recognize them. But you make a fair point, I should have referenced the book. I did not foresee the need to do so. Thanks for clearing my doubt.

If you like it, give kudos. Thanks :)

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
~Vince Lombardi

Re: relative pronoun doubt   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2017, 03:56

relative pronoun doubt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap