Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Religion in business school [#permalink]
I wouldn't worry about it.

I know quite a few religious people at Tuck and it's not an issue. We also have clubs for the various religions. The Tuck Christian club holds various events which tend to be well attended by the religious and non-religious. It seems to me that most people are pretty accepting of those with religious beliefs, even if they don't share them. I've never heard of anything negative happening.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I guess if you're not an idiot and don't go around telling people that they're going to hell - nobody is really going to bother with what you believe in. Religion is a personal issue and most people will probably respect that. To each his own.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I'm surprised you've ever had problems unless you're vocal about your beliefs. Most people in this country still associate with the christian faith (even liberals) and most international students will likely have some religious affiliation as well (even though it probably won't match yours). Some discussions religion could naturally fit into, but to be honest, I don't want someone up on their soapbox in every single class discussion. If it makes sense to bring up then fine, but it's not the time to be trying to change someone's mind about social issues.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HEC Paris
Send PM
i can see where he's coming from. i live in a decidedly blue state, and I find that most b-school ppl are very liberal and have preconceived notions about Christians, even if a person does not evangelize. i know when ppl ask me my religion and I reply, I always get an oh, followed by a look. Many people just assume that Christians will start trying to convert you or hate gays or whatever.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
pemberly wrote:
i can see where he's coming from. i live in a decidedly blue state, and I find that most b-school ppl are very liberal and have preconceived notions about Christians, even if a person does not evangelize. i know when ppl ask me my religion and I reply, I always get an oh, followed by a look. Many people just assume that Christians will start trying to convert you or hate gays or whatever.

A few points:

1. B-school people tend to be pretty liberal in the social sense (has a lot to do with being young), but I was surprised by how conservative they are on a lot of issues. Most of the tend to be very pro-business (not surprising). You're not too likely to find to many anti-capitalist left-wingers at b-school.

2. I found the cross-section of political beliefs to be pretty much the same as I found at work. A few hardcore left and right-wingers and the vast majority somewhere in between.

3. If you identify yourself as a Christian you'll get a few people that will judge you based on that, but not many. I'm pretty much of the libertarian mindset and one of my very good friends is very far left. We give each other crap all the time, have some lively debates, but it never comes between us. You'll find most people are like that.

4. Get used to it! You can be gay, straight, left-wing, right-wing, like chocolate or like vanilla ice-cream and somebody will have a problem with it. Stand-up for yourself in a respectful way and don't give it much thought. There are much more important things to focus on.

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I'd agree with what refurb said. There are people from just about every major religion at school and that doesn't really affect how we work with each other or the friendships that are made. Like the general population, there's a range of how religious people are, but like an earlier poster said unless you go around trying to convert non-believers or saying your religion is better than others, it's really going to be a non-issue.

In terms of exploring how business relates to your religious views, that's probably something more in line with where the clubs come in rather than in class discussions. I can't think of any situation in the classroom where religion came into the discussion, nor when it would have been appropriate to bring it into the conversation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Send PM
Don't see why this is even a big deal. You've gotten this far in life with your 'faith' and people knowing about it, what's the issue with business school?

As others said above, don't preach, don't tell me about how Jesus applies to investment banking, and I won't tell you whether to buy a steel frame or a carbon fiber frame for your racing bike, unless you want me to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
why would you be "publicly mentioning"/"expressing" your faith at school in the first place? You sound as if you're sure you're going to be a victim. And why on earth would you consider it possible for someone to be "ostracized" for their relatively mainstream religious beliefs in college? Sounds like you've had some major issues in the past.
GMAT Club Bot