GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Request to evaluate ESR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Request to evaluate ESR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 09:56
Hello,

I gave my GMAT and scored a demeaning 530. However, in my mocks, I was consistently score 650+. My target score is 700+, to be achieved in the next 1 month.
Would really appreciate if someone couple please help me understand and answer below queries.

Question 1. What went wrong in Quant? I was consistenly scoring Q47+ in my mocks. On the actual GMAT I lost close to 2 min because of the extended break and had to guess the last 4 - 5 questions. Had I not lost these 2 mins and answered two out of last 4 questions correctly, would it impact my score? My target score is anything above Q48+

Question 2 - I am weak in SC. However, my RC seems decent. and need to push CR. I got 75% of the questins correct in the first 9 questinos. Dont know what happened in the second quarter.

Thanks a lot
Cheers!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S
Re: Request to evaluate ESR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 16:12
ace12314 wrote:
Hello,

I gave my GMAT and scored a demeaning 530. However, in my mocks, I was consistently score 650+. My target score is 700+, to be achieved in the next 1 month.
Would really appreciate if someone couple please help me understand and answer below queries.

Question 1. What went wrong in Quant? I was consistenly scoring Q47+ in my mocks. On the actual GMAT I lost close to 2 min because of the extended break and had to guess the last 4 - 5 questions. Had I not lost these 2 mins and answered two out of last 4 questions correctly, would it impact my score? My target score is anything above Q48+

Question 2 - I am weak in SC. However, my RC seems decent. and need to push CR. I got 75% of the questins correct in the first 9 questinos. Dont know what happened in the second quarter.

Thanks a lot
Cheers!

Hi ace12314,

I'd be happy to help! Could you post a screenshot of your ESR, or at least summarize the main points, so that I can take a closer look? Thanks! :)

-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 23:42
Thank you for your revert Carolyn. I am unable to post screenshots and attach ESR report.
Can you please share your email id so that I can mail it to you?

Thanks a lot in advance. :)
Abhishek
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 22:05
Hi, please find attached my ESR.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Attachments

Abhishek Sharma_343500429_ESR.pdf [517.95 KiB]
Downloaded 14 times

To download please login or register as a user

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 15:15
ace12314 wrote:
Hi, please find attached my ESR.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi ace12314,

Thanks for sending your ESR -- sorry for the delay!

Regarding your first question, if you had answered two additional questions correctly, your score would likely have been raised by a few points, giving you around a 45 (although possibly a little higher, since those questions would have been more difficult and therefore worth more). It looks like apart from Counting, there isn't a particular area that you are especially weak in. So I would recommend that to reach a 48+, over the next few weeks, focus on time management skills and practicing more advanced strategies. Definitely spend some time reviewing all your old practice questions, and make sure you fully understand the answers. Then, spend some time each day going through the articles on the Magoosh blog, which will help you with additional strategies and practice questions:

And here are some time management tips:

For Verbal, it does look like SC, and grammar especially, is your main weakness. I'd recommend focusing on that, as well as CR.

GMAT Sentence Correction questions test multiple concepts and require a strong understanding of English grammar. The best way to excel on these questions is to practice SC questions and thoroughly study your practice so that you understand why correct answer choices are correct and why wrong answer choices are wrong. If you are serious about improving your verbal score, you must read as much as possible. Here are suggested reading materials: GMAT Reading List

Generally speaking, to improve on Critical Reasoning questions, you need to first understand the argument -- understand the meaning of the sentences, understand the pieces of the argument, and understand the logic that connects the pieces. Are you understanding what the passage is saying, or are you just looking for words like "therefore," and "however," without understanding what is being said? If you're not understanding what the passage is saying, it's possible that reading comprehension is a problem, in which case you need to actively read more often to improve your reading ability. However, since your RC score is pretty strong, the problem may be more related to strategy. You need to be able to identify the question type and know about the common wrong answers that appear with each relevant question type. The real key is breaking down the argument into its specific pieces and then weeding through the answers. You really need to be looking for wrong answers when you tackle these questions. Do not think of it as finding the right answer, but rather, think about it as looking for why answers are wrong and eliminating them until you are left with one answer. Make sure to look for answers that are connected to the passage and avoid making inferences that are not based solely on the argument. Don't bring in your outside knowledge.

It's key to remember that to really improve, it's necessary to practice and review rigorously. Understanding a concept and answering a question correctly are separate skills. You need to practice answering questions to get better. Attempt as many questions as you can and really spend the time to understand each question after you answer it, even if you answered it correctly. You should take notes on the different wrong answer types and take notes on the wording of the question and its connection to the question type.

Again, I'd recommend spending time each day going through the relevant articles on the Magoosh blog for further help with strategy and practice:

And finally, make sure you review this post on learning from your practice:

I hope that helps a bit! :)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Request to evaluate ESR &nbs [#permalink] 28 Dec 2018, 15:15

Request to evaluate ESR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap