GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 12:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Requesting an appraisal of my list of study materials

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Requesting an appraisal of my list of study materials  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 21:35
Hello everyone.

I've created the following shortlist after having gone through the recommended study materials across various threads on this forum. Please provide me with an appraisal of the quality and the quantity of prep materials in this list. Please feel free to recommend additions/subtractions to the list as you see fit.

1. Official GMAT
2. Kaplan GMAT 800
3. Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook
4. Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook
5. Kaplan GMAT Prep Plus 2019
6. Manhattan Prep GMAT complete set (10)
7. Nova GMAT Math Prep Course
8. PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible
9. PowerScore GMAT Reading Comprehension Bible
10. PowerScore GMAT Sentence Correction Bible

If I'm not wrong, these will, at the least, provide me with an introduction to everything within the GMAT syllabus EXCEPT Integrated Reasoning. Recommendations on material to learn and practice IR would be appreciated.

I've only just started exploring study materials for GMAT so I'm open to any and every suggestion. Books/resources that will help me learn the basic concepts as well ones that will allow me to get plenty of practice would be really helpful.

I plan on attempting the exam for the first time in December, but I'm very much open to sitting for it again a few months later if I'm unable to achieve the required score (~750) on my first attempt.

Please do not hesitate to ask for further information should you require it. Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Booth '21, CBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.85
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Requesting an appraisal of my list of study materials  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 02:41
I would rate Manhattan books higher than Kaplan, also, Veritas books are as good as Manhattan ones.
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 07:15
Hi ahnafakeef,

Manhattan prep textbooks are among the best. Some users prefer Powerscore critical reasoning bible for CR prep:
Top & Best GMAT Math Books
Best GMAT Verbal Books

You'll need a study plan to use your time effectively and efficiently:
The Definitive GMAT Study Plan

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 14:58
Hi ahnafakeef,

The list of materials that you've put together is 'book heavy'; unfortunately, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. With a Score Goal of 750+ (which is a Score that 98% of Test Takers will never earn, no matter how many times they take the GMAT), you might actually make it tougher to hit your Goal by focusing on all of these print materials. This is meant to say so you would likely benefit a great deal by investing in some non-book resources.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 16:03
i found manhattan prep to be very useful
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 17:20
You technically have three sets of books for the same thing. I’m going to venture out and say that it will be a challenge to maintain focus and feel a sense of progress with so much stuff.

I would sell at least half of it and only purchase additional stuff if you do not see progress after first 4-6 weeks.

I started with a Princeton book but within a month, realized it was not working for me I only bought three books, Kaplan Gmat, Kaplan Verbal workbook and Kaplan Math workbook. I did not even have the official guide (in retrospect, it was a mistake and I paid for it with a Q49 instead of Q50). The point is that people have achieved great scores with much fewer resources than what you have but nobody had succeeded riding three bicycles at the same time, let alone beat a person riding a single bicycle.

Sometimes the challenge is also around having too much materials. I see many people buying a course and 2 sets of books plus whatever else they can find, believing that the act of a monetary transaction and ownership of material, results into increase and in knowledge. Don’t repeat that mistake.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 18:12
ahnafakeef wrote:
Hello everyone.

I've created the following shortlist after having gone through the recommended study materials across various threads on this forum. Please provide me with an appraisal of the quality and the quantity of prep materials in this list. Please feel free to recommend additions/subtractions to the list as you see fit.

1. Official GMAT
2. Kaplan GMAT 800

If I'm not wrong, these will, at the least, provide me with an introduction to everything within the GMAT syllabus EXCEPT Integrated Reasoning. Recommendations on material to learn and practice IR would be appreciated.

I've only just started exploring study materials for GMAT so I'm open to any and every suggestion. Books/resources that will help me learn the basic concepts as well ones that will allow me to get plenty of practice would be really helpful.

I plan on attempting the exam for the first time in December, but I'm very much open to sitting for it again a few months later if I'm unable to achieve the required score (~750) on my first attempt.

Please do not hesitate to ask for further information should you require it. Thank you.
You've got a lot of material there. I suggest you pick one provider and just get started. Preferably theory, not practice questions (so not the OG either). Once you develop a feel for how much (or how little) additional material you need, you can come back to this list and pick another set of books (or not).

Ascore Prep | Live Online

ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 07:45
My 2 cents,

I spent almost a whole year collecting the resources: books, free tests, online blogs, videos.
Honestly, I have not used even 50% of it.

You have to understand the fact, that the theory remains the same in all the books, subject, verb, pronouns etc for SC, premise, conclusions etc for CR and likewise for RC. the only thing that will differ is the strategy to approach the questions.
But if you look at the debriefs of the top scorers, you will find that no specific strategy suited everyone.
there's no "successful strategy" that guarantees success, most of the people(me included) have to tweak it.
See, what strategy suits you better and practice with it.

My honest advice would be to single down on a publisher and stick to it.
but practice from all the reputed sources(with special focus on official material).

and attempt Gmat prep exams.

ahnafakeef wrote:
Hello everyone.

1. Official GMAT
2. Kaplan GMAT 800

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 16:29
Hi ahnafakeef,

Although I can’t say what will work best for your GMAT prep, the important thing is to objectively evaluate your progress so that, in the event that your prep books aren’t meeting your needs, you don’t end up overinvesting time in resources that aren’t working for you. Thus, if after four to six weeks you find that you are not making the improvement you need, you should perhaps think about using additional resources.

As mentioned already, you may consider using a self-study course. Self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. The ability to track your progress will keep you more engaged, and you’ll be able to more accurately forecast when you’re ready to take your real GMAT.

If you decide to go that route, GMAT Club has reviews on the best courses for GMAT prep.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Requesting an appraisal of my list of study materials &nbs [#permalink] 14 Sep 2018, 16:29

Requesting an appraisal of my list of study materials

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap