Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS - Class of 2013
 Q49  V42
WE 1: Healthcare Strategy
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: Retook the beast today, got a 730 (q49 v42)! [#permalink]
Good jump great score congratulations ... welcome to the 700 club! So what schools are you applying to...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Awesome score man, thats the range im hoping to end up in, looking forward to your debrief
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
congratulations !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
congrats 4 730 score n gud luck 4 ur future!!!
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Thanks all for the kind words, I really appreciate it! As, promised here is my debrief.

Background:
I took the test for the first time back in April of this year. I put in about 200 hours of studying over 3 months. My main sources of material were the MGMAT guides, although I did use the Powerscore CR & SC Bibles. From the beginning it was clear that Math was my Achilles heel. The mgmat guides were amazing at addressing a lot of my problems, but I was still struggling on the practice tests. I also utilized the OG and Math/Verbal supplements and completed every problem.

By the end of my prep I was scoring in the low 700's on the MGMAT Tests. I also scored in the low 700s on the GMAT Prep tests (can't remember the exact breakdown). I was confident in my ability to score 700+, but I obviously fell short of the big day. I think my main issue was that I psyched myself out. I had worked so hard and put so much pressure on myself that when it came time to execute, I choked. End result was a disappointing 650. I was obvoiusly disappointed, but I knew that with more prep I could get the score I needed.

GMAT Take Two:
After my test in April I scheduled my retake for 30 days later. However, I was also starting an Calculus extension course and quickly found out that I wouldn't be able to study and complete the course (I work full time). I think this was a blessing in disguise as I was forced to work on "math" for for several months in a row, even though it was calculus.

To make a long story short, I finished my calc class in mid-june (got an A!) and re-scheduled my retake for August 7th. I found that I actually didnt loose much from my original prep period, and I used the next 5 weeks to fill in all the gaps. Fast forward to last Saturday and I was fortunate enough to pull of a 730.

The Two Big Changes I made Between Tests
1. OWN the OG and Supplements. I think that it is absolutely critical to become an OG rockstar. I did every single problem two and three times and got to really understand what questions for asking for. You start to notice patterns and the questions become almost predictable. I got to the point in CR and RC where I could almost get the answer correct by reading the first few words of the answer choice. It's hard to articulate what I mean, so I will give you an example. For some RC questions you will see something like "the author of this passage uses the highlighted text primarily in order to ......" The answer choices will be something like

A. Demonstrate support for XYZ
B. Refute the claim that XYZ
C. Offer additional evidence for XYZ
etc. etc.

You'll quickly notice that these types of questions all follow certain patterns and the results are quite predicatble. I improved my RC and CR accuracy to almost 100% just by doing and re-doing OG Problems. The same is true for PS and DS. Lots of question steps require an automatic response. Things like overlapping sets and work/ rate questions all have certain methods of solving that work 99% of the time. By doing the OG several times over, I became automatic in solving many problems types.

2. GMAT Club tests. I paid the $75 and did about 20 of the GMAT Club tests. I definitely struggled with them (averaged between 70-80%), but found them extremely useful for both timing and accuracy. You pick up little tricks in the answer choices, and it prepares you for what to watch out for on the real thing. One caveat with the tests**: I think that the percentages are artificially inflated because people can reset the test and take it again. This would allow people to study the answers and retake the same tests. My advice would be to take the tests, but don't worry about the percentile rankings.

**disclaimer: I do not know if this is fact, but its my supposition.

Final Tips:

1. OWN the OG: My copy looks like it went to battle and got sent home wounded. If you can get a thorough understanding of the problems and their answers (even the easy ones), then you will be prepared for whatever the real thing throws at you.

2a. Don't let the test beat you before you get a chance to beat it: A major reason why I scored poorly on my first shot was because I was so nervous. This second time I relaxed the morning of the test and did not let it psych me out.

2b. In the same vain, do let the test beat you during the exam. I used to look for certain question types (combinatorics/ probability or bolded CR) to judge how I was doing in the test. I've found you really can't figure out how well you are doing and it's best to just focus on the individuals problems.

3. Create a routine: I found that I was much more calm the second time around because I knew what to expect. I also found that developing a pretest routing took a lot of the stress away. I took practice tests on Saturdays and before each test I did exact same thing. I ate the same dinner, listened to the same music, even wore the same clothes I planned to wear on test day. I know this will sounds ridiculous to some people, but it definitely created peace of mind for me.

I think that's about it. I'm definitely happy to answer any questions you have or provide more specific details about certain area. I really think this test is beatable, you just need to put in the work and not psych yourself out and you will succeed.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Oh and one more thing. I searched the forums and found that everyone other Q49 V42 resulted in a 750 or 740. Im obviously not complaining, but I thought it was interesting that others scored higher with the same breakdown.

Anybody know why this is the case? Did I score a "weak" q49 or v42 or something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
andersmc wrote:
Oh and one more thing. I searched the forums and found that everyone other Q49 V42 resulted in a 750 or 740. Im obviously not complaining, but I thought it was interesting that others scored higher with the same breakdown.

Anybody know why this is the case? Did I score a "weak" q49 or v42 or something?

I also have never heard such splits ending in 730.
There is no harm is asking GMAC about this issue. :wink:

Can you share your practice test scores?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Sure no problem:

Test one:
Manhattan GMAT 660 (diagnostic after 1 week of studying)
Manhattan GMAT 650
Manhattan GMAT 640
Manhattan GMAT 700
Manhattan GMAT 720
Manhattan GMAT 710

GMAT Prep 1 730
GMAT Prep 1 **retake 760
GMAT Prep 2 730

Test two:

Manhattan GMAT 740
Manhattan GMAT 730
Manhattan GMAT 750

GMAT Prep 2 **retake 770
PowerPrep 1 780

Note that for the second time around I reset all my MGMAT tests. I really did not remember any of the quant questions, but saw some verbal repeats. Also, the PowerPrep score is worthless. Almost every question is in the OG and it was not a challenge at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Congrats on your great score. Good luck with your applications.....

Quote:
1. OWN the OG: My copy looks like it went to battle and got sent home wounded. If you can get a thorough understanding of the problems and their answers (even the easy ones), then you will be prepared for whatever the real thing throws at you.

hmmm.... something to keep in mind :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts