Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4447 [71]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [3]
Send PM
Re: The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have [#permalink]
Kudos
Definetly a Hard One:

The fifties are plural, appear should be without an s and in a plural form,

B, D and E are OUT because they use a singular form of appears.

A uses the present prefect because of now and indicates an Action that started in the past and continuing in the present,

A is the correct Answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Send PM
Re: The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have [#permalink]
Kudos
Remember, it is compared with "a time", not times.

So The fifties has to be singular.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have been a time of considerable achievement in the arts.

(A) for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have been
(B) despite all their advertised conformity, now appear to be
(C) for all their advertised conformity, now appear that they were
(D) despite all their advertised conformity, now appears as
(E) with all advertised conformity, now appears

Some thoughts:

Use of fifties:
See the following sentences from google:
Before the Pill, before mass immigration and long before globalization, the Fifties were a time of relative innocence.
=> Fifties were=> Fifties is a plural noun when it means number of years.
On one hand, the Fifties were ten years of conformity, of fitting in, of mass consumerism, growing corporate power and reflexive patriotism
=> Again, fifties were.

Conclusion: "Fifties" is a plural noun.

DESPITE:
Despite is used to express contrast. Example:
Despite the rough weather, she came on time.
=> So, the use of despite is incorrect in the given sentence. It changes the meaning of the sentence.

"They were a time" is redundant in C.

So, answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Ugrad: Indiana University Kelley School of Business
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
riteshgupta1 wrote:

Could someone please explain why the above logic does not apply? If "the fifties" is being referred to as a plural noun here then the later part of the sentence should read "... now appear to have been times of considerable achievement in the arts."

I usually nail SC this one definitely did not strike me as consistent with the GMAT, do we know the source?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
rollingface wrote:
riteshgupta1 wrote:

Could someone please explain why the above logic does not apply? If "the fifties" is being referred to as a plural noun here then the later part of the sentence should read "... now appear to have been times of considerable achievement in the arts."

I usually nail SC this one definitely did not strike me as consistent with the GMAT, do we know the source?

I couldn't agree more. This source seems way too dubious and the logic of answers aren't quite satisfactory.

First -- The fifties was a period. (A timeframe so singular but the number of days or months is plural?? Debatable)
Second -- The fifties WAS a period. ( It's in the past.)

I find it easier to rule out based on Timeframe rather than singular/plural on this question.

The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have been a time of considerable achievement in the arts.

(A) for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have been
CORRECT
(B) despite all their advertised conformity, now appear to be
Now appear to be? So, previously they didn't have considerable achievement in the arts? Senseless.
(C) for all their advertised conformity, now appear that they were
This is wordy -- now appear that they were. Now appear that -- is non-idiomatic. I suppose its an old type of question not the new styled of GMAT question.
(D) despite all their advertised conformity, now appears as
This changes the meaning because appears as is an idiom used to describe something contrasting what is expected. But that was not the intended meaning here. Second problem here is appears is plural verb and their is plural subject
(E) with all advertised conformity, now appears
Notice E also changes meaning. Replacing For all with With all has a subtle shift in meaning. For all has a meaning similar to although or even though but with all means JUST with everything without any contrats.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos