GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 18:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

SC_Prepositional phrase

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
P
SC_Prepositional phrase  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 18:14
I came across a statement in CR problem. I was doubt about placement of prepositional phrase- in the ocean.
I placed this prepositional phrase at different location. Please tell me which one is correct and why.

1. The population in the ocean of predators that feed on smaller haddock increased during the period.

2. The population of predators in the ocean that feed on smaller haddock increased during the period.

3. The population of predators that feed on smaller haddock in the ocean increased during the period.

4. The population of predators that feed on smaller haddock increased during the period in the ocean.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
SC_Prepositional phrase  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 18:35
gvij2017 wrote:
I came across a statement in CR problem. I was doubt about placement of prepositional phrase- in the ocean.
I placed this prepositional phrase at different location. Please tell me which one is correct and why.

1. The population in the ocean of predators that feed on smaller haddock increased during the period.

2. The population of predators in the ocean that feed on smaller haddock increased during the period.

3. The population of predators that feed on smaller haddock in the ocean increased during the period.

4. The population of predators that feed on smaller haddock increased during the period in the ocean.

Prepositional phrase either modifies noun or action of the clause.
Option 1: in the ocean though modifies the population but is non sensical since of predators get tagged to ocean..changes meaning
Option 2: in the ocean modifies predators ..... that starts a restrictive clause and modifies predators as that starts with singular verb...moreover in the ocean cannot be fit anywhere in the sentence because meaning changes if we do so....
Option 3: In the ocean modifies ''the population of predators that feed on smaller haddock''....a very specific type of predators or in the ocean modifies smaller haddock ....ambiguity
Option 4: in the ocean here modifies entire action of the clause....even during the period being prepositional phrase modifies entire clause...changes intended meaning that population of predators in the ocean increased...

Please hit kudos if you like
GMAT Club Bot
SC_Prepositional phrase   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2019, 18:35

SC_Prepositional phrase

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics