It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 15:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Score declined in verbal from 36 to 28

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Score declined in verbal from 36 to 28 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 06:36
Hello everyone! My GMAT is on 2nd December and my verbal score has declined from v36 to v28 in the last 2 mocks. In my previous mock, I had scored V34. My quant has improved but verbal gave me a shock today. Considering I am weak in quant I was focusing only on quant since last one week. Can anyone suggest some measures to improve my verbal to my previous level of v34-36.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Re: Score declined in verbal from 36 to 28 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 12:10
ishitagohil wrote:
Hello everyone! My GMAT is on 2nd December and my verbal score has declined from v36 to v28 in the last 2 mocks. In my previous mock, I had scored V34. My quant has improved but verbal gave me a shock today. Considering I am weak in quant I was focusing only on quant since last one week. Can anyone suggest some measures to improve my verbal to my previous level of v34-36.

Hi ishitagohil,

Carolyn from Magoosh here :-)

Unfortunately it sounds like you've probably already taken the test by now, but maybe this response will help students who are in similar situations as you are!

Without more details, it's hard to know what could be going on here. Many students encounter a similar problem. They receive one score from a practice test, study and prepare, and then see their score go down. This can be really frustrating. This doesn't necessarily mean that you are doing worse, though. There are many reasons why a score can go down. Here are some things to consider:

1.Consider who made the practice tests. Some tests are of poor quality and won't provide you with an accurate assessment, like Kaplan or Barron's material, because the questions don't mirror test questions. Also, some companies seem to inflate verbal scores and deflate math scores, or vice versa. So, this means that it is difficult to compare scores among the many practice tests. Each practice test has its own way of approximating your score, which is not necessarily the same, so the change in score you've seen has more to do with the test you took than your actual skill level.

2.Consider your testing environment. Distractions can affect your score, so if you were not in a quiet place free of distractions, or if you kept starting and stopping the test, then you will see variations in your test scores.

3.Consider your sleeping habits and diet. What you eat and how much you sleep can have a dramatic effect on your ability to focus. If you have not been getting enough sleep or if you have not been eating well, then this might be the reason you are seeing variations in your scores.

4.Consider what you've learned recently. We find that students who just learned a new strategy or pacing method will see a drop in their practice test scores. This may seem strange, but it makes sense. If you have not fully learned the strategy, and you find that you have to consciously think about it and remember it, then this is taking brain power away from actually solving the problems. It takes time for the strategies to become a part of your normal routine. Once that happens, you will see you scores go back up. :-)

So some of these might have been factors which could have affected your recent scores. Apart from that, without other details, it's hard to see what could have caused this score drop. So I'd recommend that at this point, focus on getting yourself into the best mental state as you can for the exam. That means getting enough sleep each night, doing some light exercise if you can, eating healthy, and practicing techniques to overcome stress and stay focused on the exam. Here are some articles that talk about tips for doing this:

Again, hopefully this is helpful for some students - and I hope that your exam went okay!

-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Re: Score declined in verbal from 36 to 28   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2017, 12:10

Score declined in verbal from 36 to 28

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap