Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Selective Studying - Should I study Geometry? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmatscore70011,

To start, there are a variety of different Quant and Verbal Scaled Score 'combinations' that will earn you an Overall Score in the 600 - 650 range, so if your Score Goal is in that range, then you don't necessarily have to tailor your studies around a 'hypothetical' that leads to just one of those specific combinations. In addition, the Schools/Programs that you plan to apply to might have certain expectations/requirements in terms of how applicants need to score in the Quant and Verbal sections. For example, a Quant Scaled Score that's just the 43rd percentile would likely be seen as a 'red flag' at a number of Programs - and by basing your Study Plan around that outcome, you might inadvertently be making it more difficult to get into the Schools that interest you.

With a Score Goal in the 600 - 650 range, you do not need to correctly answer any of the questions that you think are too hard or too weird, but you do have to keep the little mistakes to a minimum on everything else. To that end, while Geometry is not one of the 'big' categories in the Quant section, you will likely see at least a couple of 'gettable' Geometry questions on Test Day (and you will need to know the Geometry formulas/patterns to pick up those points). As such, you shouldn't "skip" any categories outright, but you should spend more of your study time on the areas/concepts that are worth the most points (and less/little time on the rarer/tougher areas).

Before I can offer you any additional time for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your exact goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmatscore70011,

It's important to understand that all GMAT quant topics can be tested at the "600 level". Yes, even topics such as Combinations/Permutations and Probability. Thus, I would not skip any topics altogether. Sure you don't need to know how to solve the hardest possible Geometry questions but be sure that you can effectively solve easy and medium level questions. at a bare minimum. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting. What the article assumes is that it is easier to receive 43rd percentile in quant than 80-something percentile in verbal.

It also assumes that business schools admissions team will not be giggling at your 43rd quantitative percentile. In my experience, you want to Quan score to be at least Q 44. That’s if you are applying as a marketing major who hates math... and trying to diversify themselves.

I think in general you want to focus on the topics that provide you with the best ROI for your time. If you are in a rush, you do what you have to do. I think there is some truth to the fact that you will not see too many geometry questions on your test but I would still qualify Geometry as an essential material that’s probably not only most business school applicants should know but probably most adults should know too... you probably did not want to be humbled buy your fourth grader asking you a question how to solve a math problem. Unless you want to teach them to do the bare minimum.

If you are short on time, I would say it would be easier and faster for you to cover some basic geometry than advanced words problems. But again, I liked math so it is harder for me to judge.

Good luck 👍😎

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it goes. This will be a helpful data point.

Posted from my mobile device
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatscore70011 wrote:
I read this article from e-gmat (e-gmat[dot]com/blogs/gmat-study-plan-benefits-study-plans-100-score-improvement/?utm_source=webinar&utm_medium=room&utm_campaign=article&utm_content=100_score_improvement&utm_term=webinarroom_article_timelinepost_100_score_improvement) and it mentions that selective studying is more efficient than collective studying. The article quotes:

"Contrary to GMAT Verbal in which this student aimed for 85 percentile, this student needs only 43 percentile in GMAT Quant. Hence, the student does not need to study every section in GMAT Quant. The 80 hours for Quant should ideally be distributed between three sections – Number Properties, Algebra, and Word Problems, without spending much time on Geometry and Advanced Topics (P&C, Probability, etc.). In fact, studying every section in Quant may be counterproductive as this student may not be able to achieve the level of mastery needed in the required sections"

Is this advice viable and is it recommended to skip the hard topics (Geometry and advanced topics) on the Quant and shift the focus on mastering the rest of the quant topics for someone that is aiming for 600-650 score?

Hey gmatscore70011,

I think it would be better if you learnt the concepts and the basic application skills to solve Geometry questions. This is not very difficult. You can memorize the facts for each polygon and the formulae. Practice a few questions. Understand the right methodology. Geometry is not very difficult. So, do not have this misconception that you cannot crack Geometry. GMAT Quant tests only specific types of questions from each topic. So, get to know those question types, learn the right methods to solve those questions types and you are good to go.
GMAT Club Bot