GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Self studying tools for GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Self studying tools for GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 22:12
Hello!

This is my first post on gmat club and I require some help...
This is going to be my first attempt of GMAT and instead of joining a coaching institue I'm thinking of preparing on my own as I couldn't find any good coaching institute in New Delhi.

I can give 4-5 hours towards the preparation on weekends and about 2 hours on weekdays(as I have college from Mon-Fri).

Im thinking of preparing with the following items:

1.GMAT official guide 2019
2.Complete GMAT strategy giude
set by Manhattan
3.E Gmat online paid course.

Kindly guide me if the above things are enough and if I should add/cancel anything.

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Re: Self studying tools for GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 02:40
Hey Peekay25000

Welcome to GMATClub!

First things first, you have done a commendable job in choosing the right books to build up
basic strategy. The Manhattan Strategy Guides are arguably the best resource in order to
build the basic strategy to tackle GMAT. Once you have cleared the concepts, you could
make use of the forum effectively to practice questions.

Attaching the required links for Verbal
SC: https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... 29750.html
CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-rea ... 28861.html
RC: https://gmatclub.com/forum/reading-comp ... 29341.html

Verbal Section Prep
It makes sense to clear your concepts for each and every topic before beginning with your
preparation. eGMAT has a really strong SC module & that will definitely help you build up
your appetite for the various rules and do better at SC. The Scholaranium will help with
understanding what your weak links are and working on them will help you improve your
scores. Alternatively, for understanding the CR concepts, you could use the PowerScore
CR bible. For RC, you could refer the below-given links on GMATClub(in addition to eGMAT)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/guide-to-rea ... 21112.html

Quant Section Prep
The best way of building your concepts is to use the Manhattan Strategy guides which will really
help you with basic strategy. In addition to using these books, you have the option of using the
GMAT Quantitative Mega-Thread whenever you need more help with concepts.

Follow Bunuel. Solve all the questions in his signature. They contain some awesome questions
that give you the true taste of GMAT(Baker's Dozen, 12 Easy Pieces, Fresh Meat etc..) Make it
a habit to solve each and every question he puts up on the forum to improve your accuracy.

During the last leg of your Quant prep, this post immensely helps with improving your Quant
score - https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

Additionally, for tests, you could purchase the GMAT Prep Collection Bundle(contains 2 exam
packs - EP1 and EP2 and a question pack). There are 2 free tests offered by GMAC, the makers
of the test. The scores on these tests are the best indicator of your current ability at the time of
taking the test.

Hope this helps you!
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 12:46
Hi Peekay25000,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 09:12
Hi Peekay25000,

I agree that you should first familiarize yourself with the GMAT and then take an official GMAT practice exam. Your experience taking that test will give you a good idea of what to expect on the GMAT, and the results will serve as a baseline GMAT score.

Once you report back with your score breakdown and respond to the questions already asked, I can provide some further advice.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 09:16
Peekay25000
Check below link for study plan
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu
V
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 09:26
Peekay25000 wrote:
Hello!

This is going to be my first attempt of GMAT and instead of joining a coaching institue I'm thinking of preparing on my own as I couldn't find any good coaching institute in New Delhi.

I can give 4-5 hours towards the preparation on weekends and about 2 hours on weekdays(as I have college from Mon-Fri).

set by Manhattan

Kindly guide me if the above things are enough and if I should add/cancel anything.

Thank you!

Hi Peekay25000

Welcome to GMAT Club !

Now coming to your questions

If were choosing books for GMAT

For learning Concepts

Manhattan Quant Guides
Manhattan Verbal Guides
For CR: The Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible
For RC: Aristotle RC Grail

For Practice

The Official Guide for GMAT 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2015-18

If i were choosing Online Course

1. Empower GMAT/e-GMAT
2. Math Revolution (Only Math)
3. E-GMAT (Only Verbal)

Now your available Options

Option 1

2.Complete GMAT strategy guide set by Manhattan

Option 2

2.Complete GMAT strategy guide set by Manhattan

Choice is yours

Good Luck
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 00:33
Peekay25000 wrote:
Hello!

set by Manhattan

Thank you!

Hi Peekay25000.

Welcome to GMATCLUB. You should dedicate around 4 months to improve your score. I would encourage you to start by taking a GMATPREP Mock. You can then know your weaknesses and can work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. You need to work on solidifying your base and clearing your concepts. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

Your Choice for E-gmat for verba online is great. It is an amazing course especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

You can also use MGMAT guides for your preparation. MGMAT guides are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 03:08
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Peekay25000,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks a lot Rich for your valuable suggestions... I'll give a full length CAT exam next week and will post my score here.

Now a bit about my timeline:

1. My goal is to score 700+
2. I'm planning to give my GMAT by Feb 2019
3. I plan to apply in 2020... I'll be graduating the same year. I'll mostly apply for MiM.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Self studying tools for GMAT   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 03:08

Self studying tools for GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep