Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SENTENCE CORRECTION - PARALLELISM [#permalink]
1. they contended that the committee was biased but that it should not be disbanded. CORRECT.

Y = that it should be disbanded

X = that the committee was biased

PARALLEL.

2. New data indicate that the stock market jumped and the unemployment rate decreased. CORRECT.

Y = the unemployment rate decreased

X = the stock market jumped

PARALLEL.

3. I think that children learn responsibility by taking care of pets and that cats make the best pets. CORRECT.

Y = that cats make the best pets.

X = that children learn responsibility

PARALLEL.

4. I think that children learn responsibility by taking care of pets and cats make the best pets. IS THIS SENTENCE CORRECT? Please explain in detail.

Y = cats make the best pets

X = children learn responsibility ...

Here, will the word "that" count across both elements?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SENTENCE CORRECTION - PARALLELISM [#permalink]
1. She argues that the agency acts with reckless abandon and with disregard for human life and property. CORRECT?

2. She argues that the agency acts with reckless abandon and that the agency acts with disregard for human life and property. CORRECT?

3. She argues that the agency acts with reckless abandon and disregard for human life and property. CORRECT?

Here, will the "with" count across the 2 elements?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: SENTENCE CORRECTION - PARALLELISM [#permalink]
Expert Reply
parthjain68 wrote:
2. They contended that the committee was biased but it should not be disbanded. IS THIS SENTENCE CORRECT?

Possibly. The two parallel elements are shown in green. Since they match (they're both independent clauses), the parallelism is good. However, see the sentence two below this one for some notes on why it might be considered ambiguous. I'd say pick this one if you don't have another, better option.

parthjain68 wrote:
I want to retire to a place where I can relax and where I pay low taxes. CORRECT

Probably not correct, but not because of parallelism. The verb tense seems strange to me - 'I pay low taxes' is in the present tense, which implies that you're currently paying low taxes (or that you usually pay low taxes). 'I want to retire' is in the present tense, but it's talking about the future. I think 'where I would/will pay low taxes' would be more logical. I've put that into your other sentences.

Quote:
I want to retire to a place where I can relax and I would pay low taxes. IS THIS SENTENCE CORRECT OR INCORRECT? Please explain the reason in detail.

Not correct, but not because the parallelism is wrong. The problem is that the parallelism is ambiguous. 'I would pay low taxes' could be parallel to either 'I want to retire' or 'I can relax'.

Quote:
I want to retire to a place where I can relax and pay low taxes. IS THIS SENTENCE CORRECT OR INCORRECT? Please explain the reason in detail.

Correct. The parallel elements are shown in green.

parthjain68 wrote:
2. Ralph likes both those who are popular and who are not as well-liked. WRONG.

Since it is an open marker, let's analyze from right to left.

X = who are not as well-liked.

Y = who are popular

In this sentence, why can't "both" count across the 2 elements?

This is incorrect because it isn't an open marker. 'Both X and Y' is a closed marker. To analyze a closed marker, look at what's between the two markers. In this case, it's the phrase 'those who are popular'. Every other element on the list has to match that exactly. However, 'who are not as well-liked' doesn't match 'those who are popular', since the word 'those' is missing.

parthjain68 wrote:
4. I think that children learn responsibility by taking care of pets and cats make the best pets. IS THIS SENTENCE CORRECT? Please explain in detail.

'that' counts across both elements, so again, it isn't technically wrong, but it could be considered ambiguous (see above).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: SENTENCE CORRECTION - PARALLELISM [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts