GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 21:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence Structure

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Sentence Structure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 05:52
Top Contributor
Sentence structure

The dictionary definition of a simple sentence as per dictionary.com is said to be the one having a single main clause with a complete thought.

However, according to the link cited beneath, the sentence below is said to be a simple sentence in spite that there are at least eight different complete and equal thoughts expressed by eight verbs.
<https://www.thoughtco.com/identifying-sentences-by-structure-1692194>
The animals snarled and screeched and growled and whinnied and whimpered and hooted and howled and gobbled up the whole ice cream stand.
On the contrary, the definition of a compound sentence is said to be the one containing two or more coordinate independent clauses, usually joined by one or more conjunctions, but no dependent clause. However, it is not clearly defined whether the second independent thought should be represented by a subject and predicate or whether it is acceptable to elide the subject or the predicate and still call them independent clauses.
The teacher walked into the classroom, greeted the students, and took attendance.

But according to
<https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/160332-Simple-sentence>
This is said to be a compound sentence since this has three finite verbs.
It must be realized that the all the resources cited above are authentic English sources and it is surprising the debate seems to be not ending. Who's the last laugh?
What about this sentence below?
"He is a great singer and she, a great dancer." - The is no verb in the second part. Or can we say "He is a great singer and her, a great dancer."
IMO, as long as we are able to elide the subject or predicate, we should take them as compound sentences by virtue of the FANBOYS connecting two different thoughts.
Any advice Mike?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Sentence Structure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 14:26
Dear daagh,

My intelligent colleague, these are interesting questions. :-)

I've never heard any grammar definition include anything about "number of thoughts," because as soon as we get to counting how many thoughts are or aren't in a sentence, we are on extremely slippery ground. What on earth is exactly "one thought"? What that a thought? :-) The definitions I have heard all revolve around number of S-V pairs--much more concrete.

In my understanding, a simple sentence has a single clause, a single S-V pairing that anchors the sentence. We could have multiple subjects in parallel or multiple verbs in parallel. I have no problem calling this a simple sentence:
The animals snarled and screeched and growled and whinnied and whimpered and hooted and howled and gobbled up the whole ice cream stand.

Technically, if the subject or verb is elided in parallel structure, grammatically it still "counts" as if it is there. I am guessing that this sentence would be understood to have two independent clauses in parallel:
He is a great singer and she, a great dancer.
Similarly, this one would have three independent clauses in parallel:
The teacher walked into the classroom, greeted the students, and took attendance.
I am imagining that, technically, these would be compound sentences. At some point, it's a purely theoretical decision.

I think I would say that in the discussion of sentence structure, the distinction of simple vs. compound is not the most important. The distinctions of simple vs. complex and and compound vs. complex are the ones that really confuse people and really need to be understood.

Those are my thoughts.

Take care, my friend.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Sentence Structure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 21:06
Top Contributor
Thanks, Mike. Your perception is going to help me when I teach school level children

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Re: Sentence Structure   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2017, 21:06

Sentence Structure

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap