GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Should I reschedule my GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Should I reschedule my GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 05:40
Hello All,

My GMAT journey began in February 2018 when I decided apply to business schools. My background is in Engineering and would like to apply to HBS, LBS, INSEAD, IESE and IE. I did not take any practice tests initially but spent time understanding some concepts as I had been out university for nearly 2 years then. My study was very inconsistent, where I would have weeks without looking at any material. As a result, my first GMATPrep Practice test in May came out to be 550 (Q39 V37). I then stopped preparing due to work commitments.

From August 27th I started preparing again and committed to doing the GMAT exam on November 12th, giving me around 2.5 months. My target from the beginning has been to hit a score of 750+.

Over the course of my preparation my practice test results are as follows:
Sep 16 - 600 (Q42 V31) - Veritas Prep Exam 1
Sep 22 - 580 (Q41 V30) - Manhattam Prep Exam 1
Oct 6 - 600 (Q41 V32) - Veritas Prep Exam 2
Oct 7 - 590 (Q41 V32) - Veritas Prep Exam 3
Oct 14 - 590 (Q42 V28) - GMATPrep Exam 2
Oct 28 - 650 (Q45 V34) - Veritas Prep Exam 4
Nov 3 - 630 (Q45 V32) - Veritas Prep Exam 5

The materials I used were as follows:
Manhattan OG Prep Guides 1, 3, 7 and 9
Veritas Prep Skillbuilder - RC, Algebra, DS, CR

Additionally, I have been using GMATClub to answer difficult questions and review them often. I have used the Online OG questions for practice too

My exam is next Monday (12th November) and I do not feel I can even hit a 700+, let alone my target score.

I am only looking to apply to business schools in September 2019, so I do have some time. As a result, I am strongly considering rescheduling my exam to sometime in March 2019, hopefully giving me enough time to reach my target score.

Could anyone please advise what I should do going forward and how I can break the elusive 700 and eventually hit the 99th percentile? I feel my weakness in Quant is Combinatorics, Absolutes, Inequalities and Probability. My weakness in Verbal is definitely RC while my CR is very strong and SC is somewhat good. However, I feel I simply have not "clicked" with the exam, and haven't gained the critical thinking and logical reasoning to be able to solve the difficult questions. Additionally, when I look review my practice test errors, there are times where I make silly mistakes or have an oversight leading to me missing the crux of the question. There are other times where I simply have no clue and probably haven't grasped a particular concept yet.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
B
Should I reschedule my GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 10:08
To me it seems you expect a lot in a quite less time.

"my first GMATPrep Practice test in May came out to be 550 (Q39 V37)"

And you expect a jump of 200 points in 2.5 months of studying. Well that takes effort and time, both which You have not put in your prep or have put in inconsistently.

"Additionally, I have been using GMATClub to answer difficult questions and review them often. I have used the Online OG questions for practice too"

You need to be good with all kinds of questions , easy medium and hard to score well. If you can't get the easy and medium ones right , you can't score the hard ones on the exam because you won't get to see them because of the adaptive nature of the test.

"As a result, I am strongly considering rescheduling my exam to sometime in March 2019, hopefully giving me enough time to reach my target score."

You should.

I feel there are a variety of materials out there which you can use to study. For RC - there are Gin's RC notes, the manhattanprep strategy (both on this site i think).

For Quant, you already seem to know your weaknesses. So start from high school books and questions ( i know it's painful, that's what i am doing too) to GMAT questions. From easy to medium to hard. You can do one topic and then use the forum question banks to practice that one topic. I really hope you are not cutting corners in your prep. Because it shows, no matter what you do.

Also please don't burn through OG questions initially. First learn the concept , formula etc. Do the questions from other sources, than do the questions from OG. You have limited OG questions and you can go through them really quickly so don't waste them in the initial months of your prep .

I would suggest you to start an error log. And after going through every topic, redo the questions you got wrong in the log, then move to the next topic. Additionally, there is an All that you need for quant thread here . Please go through that and see other resources to help you out.

See, if you respect the GMAT, it will respect you back. It doesnt seem like you were able to study consistently or thoroughly.

Please give kudos if it helped!!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions and help the community grow.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Should I reschedule my GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 13:22
Hi ramalcha,

To start, the 750+ score is the 98th percentile - meaning that 98% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT). Thankfully, NO Business School requires a score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are not the same thing. That having been said, you have the potential to pick up some significant points throughout this Exam - but you need to focus on learning to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in new ways.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 610 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Raising a 610 to a 750+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

While there is no harm in taking the GMAT as scheduled, you would almost certainly have to take it again later. As such, you could save some money and aggravation by paying the rescheduling fee and pushing back your Test Day. Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 07:15
Ohbebby wrote:
To me it seems you expect a lot in a quite less time.

"my first GMATPrep Practice test in May came out to be 550 (Q39 V37)"

And you expect a jump of 200 points in 2.5 months of studying. Well that takes effort and time, both which You have not put in your prep or have put in inconsistently.

"Additionally, I have been using GMATClub to answer difficult questions and review them often. I have used the Online OG questions for practice too"

You need to be good with all kinds of questions , easy medium and hard to score well. If you can't get the easy and medium ones right , you can't score the hard ones on the exam because you won't get to see them because of the adaptive nature of the test.

"As a result, I am strongly considering rescheduling my exam to sometime in March 2019, hopefully giving me enough time to reach my target score."

You should.

I feel there are a variety of materials out there which you can use to study. For RC - there are Gin's RC notes, the manhattanprep strategy (both on this site i think).

For Quant, you already seem to know your weaknesses. So start from high school books and questions ( i know it's painful, that's what i am doing too) to GMAT questions. From easy to medium to hard. You can do one topic and then use the forum question banks to practice that one topic. I really hope you are not cutting corners in your prep. Because it shows, no matter what you do.

Also please don't burn through OG questions initially. First learn the concept , formula etc. Do the questions from other sources, than do the questions from OG. You have limited OG questions and you can go through them really quickly so don't waste them in the initial months of your prep .

I would suggest you to start an error log. And after going through every topic, redo the questions you got wrong in the log, then move to the next topic. Additionally, there is an All that you need for quant thread here . Please go through that and see other resources to help you out.

See, if you respect the GMAT, it will respect you back. It doesnt seem like you were able to study consistently or thoroughly.

Please give kudos if it helped!!!

Hi Ohbebby,

Thanks so much for the advice. I have decided to postpone my exam to February 2019, and I'm going to build a daily study plan.

I'm glad you asked me to save the OG questions, as I have been using them extensively. I still have about 200 left but I will carefully use them from now on.

I currently have an error log for the questions I got wrong in practice tests, but I am not sure it's the best way as I haven't reviewed them as much as I'd liked to. Any tips on this?

The GMAT is one exam that's tested me psychologically beyond what any has ever done, and I want to be better in tune with it before the next exam.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 07:23
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ramalcha,

To start, the 750+ score is the 98th percentile - meaning that 98% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT). Thankfully, NO Business School requires a score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are not the same thing. That having been said, you have the potential to pick up some significant points throughout this Exam - but you need to focus on learning to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in new ways.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 610 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Raising a 610 to a 750+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

While there is no harm in taking the GMAT as scheduled, you would almost certainly have to take it again later. As such, you could save some money and aggravation by paying the rescheduling fee and pushing back your Test Day. Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hi Rich,

The reason I'm wanting a 750+ is because I'd like to obtain a scholarship from one of the schools, and most have said a high GMAT will certainly help. I didn't go to the most prestigious undergrad University nor do I work for the most prestigious company. Those are out of my control right now and what I do know is that the GMAT is fully under my control. If there is anything I can do to help my chances of a scholarship, it is this.

The schools I am planning to are:
Harvard Business School
London Business School
INSEAD
IESE
IE

I have realised that if I went into the exam next Monday hoping for a 700+ let alone a 750+, I'm delusional. Hence, I have decided to reschedule the exam to February, giving me another 3 months to prepare. My target will be to hit >=Q49 and >=V43 by then. It is a lot of work, but I'm planning to do a consistent 2 hours per day and 5 hours per weekend day to stay on track.

I just need to build a study plan, however, I am not sure where to start or if I should do anything other from learning from the books

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 11:58
Hi ramalcha,

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. Considering the similarity in many of your CAT Scores, it's possible that you've gotten stuck right around 610, so continuing to study in this same way - answering questions in the same ways as before - will likely NOT lead to the improvement that you're looking for. This is meant to say that you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 16:39
Hi Rich,

That's true, I feel I may have plateaued slightly and would like to find new ways of learning. Given my circumstance, I might do a guided self study though would have to research the one suitable for me. Any ideas on which ones in could consider?

To answer your question, I can consitently do 20 hours per week; 2 hours per weekday and 10 hours in the weekend.
So far, I have done 170 hours in total of study but I am doubtful over how many of those are quality hours. I do remember there have been days where my study was lackluster, especially when doing some RC questions after busy days at work, it was simply hard to concentrate. I need to develop a different strategy for my next 3 months if I want to achieve my target score. Though not sure what it is going to be yet.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 13:57
Hi ramalcha,

If you could commit to a relatively consistent 20 hours-or-so of quality study each week, then you could improve a great deal. You appear to understand that there's a big difference between 'quantity' of study and 'quality' of study - and we can work to make sure that you're honing the proper Test-taking skills during this next phase of your studies.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 01:12
"I currently have an error log for the questions I got wrong in practice tests, but I am not sure it's the best way as I haven't reviewed them as much as I'd liked to. Any tips on this?"

I have an error log of every question I have got wrong till date. And that is what you should do. If you study on the laptop, make an excel sheet. If you use GMAT CLUB questions, use it's error log. Or just write it down. Or a mix of the 2, whatever works. How I do it is first I learn a chapter, attempt questions of all levels,first easy , then medium then hard, then do all the ones I got wrong. Even the stupid ones like marking the wrong option or some silly mistake in calc.

Hope I helped.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions and help the community grow.

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 19:17
Hi ramalcha,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, YES, reschedule your exam. Since you have plenty of time before your applications are due (SEP 2019), there is no point in trying to rush your GMAT, right?

One thing that jumps out at me is the many practice exams you’ve taken despite consistently scoring well under your 750+ goal score. GMAT practice tests best serve two main purposes. The first purpose is to provide diagnostic information. In other words, by taking a practice test, you can get a sense of what types of GMAT questions you’re comfortable answering and arrive at a reasonable estimation of how you would score on the GMAT at that point in time. The second purpose is, naturally, to provide a way to practice taking the GMAT and handling its various challenges, such as time pressure and the varying difficulty of the questions presented.

People often misuse practice tests as primary learning tools. You may have seen posts that go something like the following: A person with a score goal of 740 has been preparing for six weeks, has already taken all six of the official practice tests, and is wondering why her scores have been 600, 590, 570, 610, 600, and 560. In such a case, the person likely has been using practice tests as primary learning tools, meaning that taking practice tests has been much of, or possibly most of, what she has been doing to drive up her score.

Can practice tests be valuable tools for learning and continued score improvement? Yes, of course, if they are used properly and at optimal times in your preparation. However, practice tests should not be used as primary learning vehicles, because practice tests don’t really provide the kind of practice that you need to increase your score. To improve your score, you need to learn the basics of answering various types of GMAT questions, and then practice applying what you have learned by carefully answering practice questions in order to learn to answer them correctly. When you first learn how to answer a particular type of question, answering that type of question correctly can easily take way longer than the two minutes or so per question that you are allotted when taking the GMAT (or a practice test). Two minutes per question can fly by, and if you want to finish the sections of the test on time, in many cases, regardless of whether you have figured out how to answer a question, you may have to just answer and move on. So, while taking a practice test can be a great way to work on your overall approach to taking the GMAT, taking a practice test is not a great way to practice getting right answers to various types of questions. To effectively prepare for the GMAT, you have to practice answering questions of each type without the time constraints of the test and work up to a point at which you can answer questions of each type in around two minutes. When you take multiple practice tests early in your prep, the tests simply underscore exactly what you already know: you need to learn more content and develop more skills to hit your score goal. Why spend three hours taking a practice test just to learn what you already know, wasting a valuable learning tool in the process?

Of course, you can benefit from taking one diagnostic practice test early in your preparation. Furthermore, once you’ve done substantial preparation and mastered much of the content tested on the GMAT, when you sit for practice tests, they will actually show, to some degree, lingering weak areas that require further study. I say “to some degree” because although practice tests provide a pretty good approximation of how a person would score on the GMAT at a particular point in time, because the sample size of questions on any practice test is rather small (31 quant questions and 36 verbal questions), practice tests don’t do a very good job of pinpointing specific areas of weakness. For example, let’s assume that of the 31 quant questions on a given practice test, you encounter one Rate-Time-Distance question and get it wrong. Should you conclude that you need extensive work on Rate-Time-Distance questions? Of course not. Similarly, what if you correctly answered the Rate-Time-Distance question? Are you good to go on those questions? Maybe. But maybe not. In fact, let’s assume that you took six practice tests, saw a total of six Rate-Time-Distance questions, and correctly answered them all. Can you conclude that you’re solid on Rate-Time-Distance questions? Probably not. One thing that makes the GMAT challenging is the vast potential for variation in the questions. There are hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of variations of Rate-Time-Distance questions that can appear on the test. So, correctly answering five or six (or ten) Rate-Time-Distance questions doesn’t really tell you much. You must take care not to over-infer based on practice tests alone.

To truly improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills, rather than taking practice exams and reviewing your answers, you need to follow a thorough and linear study plan that allows you to slowly build mastery of one GMAT topic prior to moving on to the next. Within each topic, begin with the foundations and progress toward more advanced concepts. Since you are seem to be struggling the most in Reading Comprehension and quant, I’m happy to provide some specific advice on how to improve in those areas.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you are reading a paragraph, also consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be stimulating, so to better prepare yourself to tackle such passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Although your quant is stronger, you can follow a similar process for that section. For example, if you are reviewing Number Properties, be sure that you practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. As you practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I reschedule my GMAT? &nbs [#permalink] 06 Nov 2018, 19:17

Should I reschedule my GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap