GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Oct 2017, 20:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:16) correct 52% (01:08) wrong based on 929 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake, the lake’s population of smallmouth bass has decreased by nearly one third. In the same time period, the lake’s population of sand trout has decreased by approximately 40%. Still, Hoffman Lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.

Which of the following must be true on the basis of the statements above?

(A) If plans to remove Pacific carp from Lake Hoffman are successful, the population of smallmouth bass and sand trout will increase.

(B) In 2004, there were more sand trout than any other type of fish in Lake Hoffman.

(C) Pacific carp are a natural predator of sand trout and smallmouth bass.

(D) At some point there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass.

(E) If trends are to continue, Pacific carp will one day be the most numerous fish in Hoffman Lake.

Originally posted by siliconbeach on 27 Aug 2015, 14:47.
Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Oct 2017, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.
updated the OE
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Re: Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 09:45
I think it's D.
From 2004: sand trout decreased by 40%, smallmouth bass by 33,33%. If now in the lake there are more sand trouts than other kind of fish, it means that in 2004 there were for sure more sand trouth than smallmouth bass.

B cannot be true, what if in 2004 there was another kind of fish in the lake and it was the most numerous one?
General Discussion
Director
Director
P
Premium Member
Re: Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2016, 08:05
siliconbeach wrote:
Mark your answer and please write why you think the choice is right. I'll post OE in few days.

Hi ,

can anybody help here? Between C and D , I am going for D.
Reduction of small mouth and sand trout could just be a coincidence .
Even after a 40% reduction if there are more sand trouts then there are small mouths , which have undergone approx 33% reduction, then it seems there were more Sand trouts than Small mouths at some time.

How else could a larger reduction still leave a larger share? Or have I fallen into some kind of trap.
Thanks

- Stne

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2016, 14:30
B.In 2004, there were more sand trout than any other type of fish in Lake Hoffman.
D.At some point there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass.

IMO its B. In 2004 the storm waters entered Pacific Carp.

Even if we assume sand trout were more than smallmouth bass at some point (it may be 2003,2002) , still we cant figure why Lake has more sandtrout than any other fish.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 13:00
None option seems to be correct.
But have to select.
So, I will go with D

Does anyone have OE...siliconbeach can you please provide OE

Its my humble request to all, if someone post a question then make sure you share OE as well.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2016, 20:56
siliconbeach wrote:
Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake, the lake’s population of smallmouth bass has decreased by nearly one third. In the same time period, the lake’s population of sand trout has decreased by approximately 40%. Still, Hoffman Lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.

A.If plans to remove Pacific carp from Lake Hoffman are successful, the population of smallmouth bass and sand trout will increase.
There is an uncertainty if they will breed or not, there could be an assumption that someone brings it from another place and place them to the Hoffman Lake.
Can be True - Contender

B.In 2004, there were more sand trout than any other type of fish in Lake Hoffman.
Too strong to say any other type of fish - loser

C.Pacific carp are a natural predator of sand trout and smallmouth bass.
We can only assume that Pacific carp are a natural predator, may be it is infectious. - loser

D.At some point there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass.
CORRECT ANSWER. basic maths. even when the decrease percent is greater still the quantity is greater..

E.If trends are to continue, Pacific carp will one day be the most numerous fish in Hoffman Lake.

This is the future effect and we can not be sure, may be some one takes the precaution, before this thing happens.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 20:46
Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake, the lake’s population of smallmouth bass has decreased by nearly one third.......... SMB reduced by 1/3 i.e., 2/3(SB) exists now.

In the same time period, the lake’s population of sand trout has decreased by approximately 40%............................................ST reduced by 40% i.e., 3/5(ST) exists now

Still, Hoffman Lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.....i.e., 3/5 ST > 2/3 SB

ST>10/9 SB...............ST>SB........must be true at atleast one time

A. If plans to remove Pacific carp from Lake Hoffman are successful, the population of smallmouth bass and sand trout will increase.............We cannot infer this info this is new information

B. In 2004, there were more sand trout than any other type of fish in Lake Hoffman.............It is evident that now ST is more in quantity than any other fish but before we cannot assure the same. It is possible that the population can increase in between time period.

C. Pacific carp are a natural predator of sand trout and smallmouth bass...............there is no such info. Even other fish population reduced after introducing carp, PC need not be its predator instead it can be of same kind and feeds on same food that other fish eat. Thus reduction in food may result in reduction in population.

D. At some point there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass.........This is in line with our pre-reasoning.

E. If trends are to continue, Pacific carp will one day be the most numerous fish in Hoffman Lake.............we cannot make any such prediction.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 04:16
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake, the lake’s population of smallmouth bass has decreased by nearly one third.......... SMB reduced by 1/3 i.e., 2/3(SB) exists now.

In the same time period, the lake’s population of sand trout has decreased by approximately 40%............................................ST reduced by 40% i.e., 3/5(ST) exists now

Still, Hoffman Lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.....i.e., 3/5 ST > 2/3 SB

A. If plans to remove Pacific carp from Lake Hoffman are successful, the population of smallmouth bass and sand trout will increase.............We cannot infer this info this is new information

B. In 2004, there were more sand trout than any other type of fish in Lake Hoffman.............It is evident that now ST is more in quantity than any other fish but before we cannot assure the same. It is possible that the population can increase in between time period.

C. Pacific carp are a natural predator of sand trout and smallmouth bass...............there is no such info. Even other fish population reduced after introducing carp, PC need not be its predator instead it can be of same kind and feeds on same food that other fish eat. Thus reduction in food may result in reduction in population.

D. At some point there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass.........This is in line with our pre-reasoning.

E. If trends are to continue, Pacific carp will one day be the most numerous fish in Hoffman Lake.............we cannot make any such prediction.

Option D starts with 'at some point'. I would think this refers to a phenomenon in the past that is no longer true. But the CR passage ends with 'Still, Hoffman Lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.' indicating that this phenomenon is in fact true as of today. If something is true right now, wouldn't it be absurd to ask if it was true at some point?
I elimintaed D because of this logic and chose B instead. (I wasn't fully convinced with B, but it felt like the most reasonable choice)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 10:35
SanyamGupta wrote:
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

Option D starts with 'at some point'. I would think this refers to a phenomenon in the past that is no longer true. But the CR passage ends with 'Still, Hoffman Lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.' indicating that this phenomenon is in fact true as of today. If something is true right now, wouldn't it be absurd to ask if it was true at some point?
I elimintaed D because of this logic and chose B instead. (I wasn't fully convinced with B, but it felt like the most reasonable choice)

SanyamGupta : B is also not logical.
In 2004, there were more sand trout than any other type of fish in Lake Hoffman.. key is in 2004, we only know situation after 2004 (since 2004 something was introduced and current result is this), we don't know what happened before that.

D. At some point there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass.

we can surely arrive at that. it is still true but can we refute this : that - At some point there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass. No, right? it's always true. that's what we are looking for. Can we say - there is no point in past when there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass. No we can't conclude that from given premises.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 20:30
IMO B should be the answer because the conclusion says that hoffman lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.

So if in 2004 itself there were more sand trout than any other type of fish then only the conclusion can be true.

However in D it says that there were more sand trout than smallmouth bass. In this answer choice nothing is said about any other type of fish. So I eliminated this .

Please help. Would highly appreciate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 06:10
prerakgoel07 wrote:
IMO B should be the answer because the conclusion says that hoffman lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.

So if in 2004 itself there were more sand trout than any other type of fish then only the conclusion can be true.

However in D it says that there were more sand trout than smallmouth bass. In this answer choice nothing is said about any other type of fish. So I eliminated this .

Please help. Would highly appreciate.

We don't have to pick a statement that makes the conclusion come true. This is a "must be true" question so we need to determine based on the information given in the passage what is definitely true.

Let's take a look a this:
Quote:
Still, Hoffman Lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.

This tells us that at this point there are more sand trouts than any other fish such as smallmouth brasses. Therefore, we have found a point at which answer D must be true.

In contrast to that, we can't definitely confirm the statement in answer D. We know that at this unspecified time the number of sand trouts exceeded that of any other fish but we can't infer that this was already the case in 2004. Hence, it can't be the correct answer for a "must be true" question.

Hope that helps :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 08:48
How does D state that ST were more in number than any other type of fish in the Lake. D compares ST with SB and we dont know what is the position of SB in terms of fish population. what if the number of SB were low? For this reason I chose B. Can anyone help?

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 09:28
swathiallumalla wrote:
How does D state that ST were more in number than any other type of fish in the Lake. D compares ST with SB and we dont know what is the position of SB in terms of fish population. what if the number of SB were low? For this reason I chose B. Can anyone help?

D doesn't state that there are more ST than any other fish. It just purports that at some point the following equation was valid: number of ST > number of SB

Quote:
(D) At some point there were more sand trout in Lake Hoffman than smallmouth bass.

If at one point the number of ST was the biggest of all fish in the river we can definitely conclude that the mentioned equation is valid.

Does that make sense? :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 05:17
If you follow the mathematical logic of the stimulus, you can see that the remaining 60% of sand trout is a greater number than the remaining 67% of smallmouth bass, or:

.6T > .67B (where T stands for the original number of Trout and B stands for the original number of Bass)

This means that T > B, proving that at some point (right around 2004) there were more sand trout than smallmouth bass. Beware of the other answer choices, which are not necessarily true. For A and C, you do not know that the carp were the reason for the decrease in the population of the other fish; it could have been other elements of that storm. For B, you don't know whether other types of fish were even more numerous but suffered a greater decrease. And for E, you don't know at all that the population of carp is increasing.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 14:58
level 650-700

let me try this one ,
in 2004
SM (small mouth fish) decreased by 33.33%
ST (sand trout fish) decreased by 40%
however now,today ST > SM ===> 0.6x>0.67y ===> x>y (that's what choice D is about)

however for choice B , we don't have any info regarding the other type of fishes that have suffered a great decrease , may be we have a fish SZ , with an original number z > x and has decreased by 99%, that's why B is ruled out.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 21:17
Still, Hoffman Lake is home to more sand trout than to any other type of fish.

we talk about 2004 first ...then "still " bla bla bla

still indicates that there were more sand trout than any other fish in 2004 ..... even after the decrease ,there are still more sand trout than any other fish
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 21:19
assaad wrote:
level 650-700

let me try this one ,
in 2004
SM (small mouth fish) decreased by 33.33%
ST (sand trout fish) decreased by 40%
however now,today ST > SM ===> 0.6x>0.67y ===> x>y (that's what choice D is about)

however for choice B , we don't have any info regarding the other type of fishes that have suffered a great decrease , may be we have a fish SZ , with an original number z > x and has decreased by 99%, that's why B is ruled out.

dont forget about the word "Still" which indicates that same thing was true in 2004
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 10:51
Veritas Prep Official Solution:

D. If you follow the mathematical logic of the stimulus, you can see that the remaining 60% of sand trout is a greater number than the remaining 67% of smallmouth bass, or:

.6T > .67B (where T stands for the original number of Trout and B stands for the original number of Bass)

This means that T > B, proving that at some point (right around 2004) there were more sand trout than smallmouth bass. Beware of the other answer choices, which are not necessarily true. For A and C, you do not know that the carp were the reason for the decrease in the population of the other fish; it could have been other elements of that storm. For B, you don't know whether other types of fish were even more numerous but suffered a greater decrease. And for E, you don't know at all that the population of carp is increasing.

Please award :thumbup: kudos, If this post helped you in someway. :student_man:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake, &nbs [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 10:51

Since 2004, when storm waters introduced Pacific carp to Hoffman Lake,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap