GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 02:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

So bad at Quant it is devastating...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
So bad at Quant it is devastating...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 10:32
Hey guys.

I have been studying for the GMAT for quite some time now. Math was always my Achilles Heel.

So when I started learning (I started with magoosh), I scored 29 on the first mock test. Honestly most of the time I was just plainly guessing. I had no clue what to do.

However, now I have been learning, and going over to ttp. And while I progressed , in the official mock tests, I can barely get over 43 in Quant. It feels like any question that is just a bit more difficult, I fail to get right.

I don't know how to prepare to be honest. When I do most of the TTP questions I manage to pass the medium difficulty accuracy goal (70%) and sometimes the same for the harder ones.

It feels like I have been studying for an eternity and I just don't get better. I memorize the questions and try to learn what I did wrong, but there is an infinite amount of possible questions out there. As soon as I hit a new question, it feels like I started all over again.

Next week I have my official GMAT exam and I feel like my goal (700) is unachievable :cry:
Manager
Manager
G
Re: So bad at Quant it is devastating...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 13:37
I memorize the questions
Memorise the formulae, not questions. Then shift to an understanding of each formulae over time.

but there is an infinite amount of possible questions out there. As soon as I hit a new question, it feels like I started all over again.
1. We're quite lucky that GMAC have limited quant to basic algebra, geometry etc. It would be very reasonable for them to demand knowledge of calculus, statistics and probability. 2. You're viewing this in a negative light. Instead, view this as a positive. Yay! Infinite questions for me to apply logic and quant rules to! Yay! Each question is like a new adventure!
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 08:27
Hi Wiesenloosner,

I want to help you figure out what is going on with your quant. I just sent you a DM so we can chat further.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 13:39
Wiesenlooser wrote:
Hey guys.

I have been studying for the GMAT for quite some time now. Math was always my Achilles Heel.

You aren't bad at math: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... th/280914/

The type of math on the GMAT doesn't require the sort of mathematical thinking that you'd need in a calculus class, trigonometry, topology, etc. The math topics on the GMAT are chosen very deliberately to be the sort of math that every smart person can learn. (And please don't look at that and think 'well, I can't learn it, so I must not be smart!' I want you to read that as 'There's nothing wrong with my brain that's keeping me from learning this stuff; it has to do with familiarity, mindset, study skills, and general test-taking skills.')

Quote:
And while I progressed , in the official mock tests, I can barely get over 43 in Quant. It feels like any question that is just a bit more difficult, I fail to get right.

Why are you missing these problems, and what types of problems are they? What do they have in common?

If you aren't keeping a problem log (where you record all of the problems you do, and your takeaways) you really, really need one. If you want to start getting these problems right, you need to get more specific about why you're getting them wrong. You can't fix an issue you don't understand!

Quote:
It feels like I have been studying for an eternity and I just don't get better. I memorize the questions and try to learn what I did wrong, but there is an infinite amount of possible questions out there. As soon as I hit a new question, it feels like I started all over again.

A problem log will help you here, too. The point of doing a practice problem isn't to learn how to do that specific problem. It's to 'steal' ideas from that problem that you'll be able to use elsewhere. The GMAT constructs an infinite number of problems, but it only makes them out of a finite number of ideas and concepts and rules. When you do a problem, break it down into the smaller ideas, concepts, and rules. And, figure out why you were supposed to use those rules. Here's one I looked at with a student this morning:

Why do you 'stack and add' when you see these equations:
3x + 7y = 10
14x + 14y = 28

But you don't 'stack and add' these equations?
x^2 - y^2 = 12
x + y = 3

It's one thing to be able to solve either of those; it's another thing to know why you're supposed to 'stack and add' in the first one, and factor in the second one. That's the sort of question you should address in your problem log. :)

Quote:
Next week I have my official GMAT exam and I feel like my goal (700) is unachievable :cry:

It might or might not help you next week, but you can absolutely get a 700 with 'only' a 43 in Quant. You'd need a 42 in Verbal, which is fairly high, but plenty of people get there! Don't ignore Verbal!

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: So bad at Quant it is devastating... &nbs [#permalink] 03 Dec 2018, 13:39

So bad at Quant it is devastating...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap