Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
"Having a degree from HBS not only does not ensure a fair shake, but might make you a target because you will be held to a higher standard and co-workers or superiors might resent your degree."

I think this "might" be possible in an industry that does not have many MBA's but dont think it would be in IB/Consulting/GM etc...

Interesting article though...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think reality is probably somewhere between his bitter "truth" and the bright, shiny hopes that we all have.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmmm... Interesting article. However, while reading it I tried to keep in mind that most of the experiences he spoke about occurred almost 30 years ago. Also, he seems very bitter that he was not just handed his high-level dream job upon graduation.

I totally agree with what emoryhopeful said in that I'm not expecting the world handed to me on a silver platter upon graduation, but rather I'm just hoping for a few doors to open into what I think would be a more satisfying career track.

One thing that kind of upsets me is that I've seen in several articles the MBA referred to as an "expensive piece of paper". It's as if no one actually goes to class or learns anything new in b-school. Especially for a career-changer like myself, I plan on learning lots of new things in b-school in a way that will be immediately applicable in the business world. But maybe that's just me...
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the thought provoking article !!!

Now, the first thought that came to my mind is this: Am I screwing up by applying to these top schools?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow that's a caustic response. I think there is some truth to it, but with most thing in life, you get back what you put in. I'm sure this guy didn't drink the cool aid and was a downer for everyone to deal with. Actually, reminds me of myself about 10 years ago, when I was an immature kid with the confidence of youth and illusions of grandeur.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
ishcabibble wrote:
Hmmm... Interesting article. However, while reading it I tried to keep in mind that most of the experiences he spoke about occurred almost 30 years ago. Also, he seems very bitter that he was not just handed his high-level dream job upon graduation.

I totally agree with what emoryhopeful said in that I'm not expecting the world handed to me on a silver platter upon graduation, but rather I'm just hoping for a few doors to open into what I think would be a more satisfying career track.

One thing that kind of upsets me is that I've seen in several articles the MBA referred to as an "expensive piece of paper". It's as if no one actually goes to class or learns anything new in b-school. Especially for a career-changer like myself, I plan on learning lots of new things in b-school in a way that will be immediately applicable in the business world. But maybe that's just me...

I'm with you on the knowledge and experience front 'cause I am a career changer too. I personally believe that the MBA is a tremendous lelarning experience. And no, I'm not just saying that 'cause some ad-com might be reading this post. :-) If it were just a piece of paper, it wouldn't be as highly regarded as it is. Its gotta mean *something* right?!? Still, in the end, the article reiterates the fact that it's the person behind the MBA who ultimately matters, and not the MBA itself.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow... his IS bitter!

There is a reason why I want to get out of the corporate environment and do entrepreneurship... when you work for the corporate, you're always working for "The Man".

Anyway, not sure if HBS already fixed all the "problems" he described, but that sounds pretty brutal for a school to do that to its own students. I think I'll stick with Stanford for now ;)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
wow... his IS bitter!

There is a reason why I want to get out of the corporate environment and do entrepreneurship... when you work for the corporate, you're always working for "The Man".

Anyway, not sure if HBS already fixed all the "problems" he described, but that sounds pretty brutal for a school to do that to its own students. I think I'll stick with Stanford for now ;)

Yet, HBS went ahead and published his interview on the weekly student newsletter. That's pretty cool, I must say.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kripalkavi wrote:
kryzak wrote:
wow... his IS bitter!

Yet, HBS went ahead and published his interview on the weekly student newsletter. That's pretty cool, I must say.

Yeah. Interesting response from HBS.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, Harbus is an "independent" student newsletter, right? I don't think HBS had a say in it, and the students probably decided it was good to have this information out there. If the HBS had any approval power, it wouldn't be an "independent" newsletter, would it? :wink:
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Well, Harbus is an "independent" student newsletter, right? I don't think HBS had a say in it, and the students probably decided it was good to have this information out there. If the HBS had any approval power, it wouldn't be an "independent" newsletter, would it? :wink:

Got the answer. Deleting post.

Originally posted by aurobindo on 11 Sep 2007, 11:13.
Last edited by aurobindo on 11 Sep 2007, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:

Point taken. On a side note: How independent do you really think these 'independent' newsletters are?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, it's an independent student weekly. Not really Harvard publishing the article directly.

Anyway, I think that the author sounded a little bitter. Moreover, the complaints are about the 70s. Things have changed since then (hopefully). Moreover, as bherronp said, reality is perhaps somewhere between what this article says and what we all wishfully feel about our favorite schools. A student at a top 3 B-school told me that once you reach a B-school, the first few weeks / months make you come down to earth and see the future more realistically - and this happens at every school. That reality check is a necessary part of the growth that you get at the B-school.

You know which school I am refering to, when I say a top 3 school :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ya. That would be YOUR school, at least according to the crystal ball ;-)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
Well, it's an independent student weekly. Not really Harvard publishing the article directly.

Anyway, I think that the author sounded a little bitter. Moreover, the complaints are about the 70s. Things have changed since then (hopefully). Moreover, as bherronp said, reality is perhaps somewhere between what this article says and what we all wishfully feel about our favorite schools. A student at a top 3 B-school told me that once you reach a B-school, the first few weeks / months make you come down to earth and see the future more realistically - and this happens at every school. That reality check is a necessary part of the growth that you get at the B-school.

Thats true. But the corporate environment is toxic, in many places. Is n't it?

I have felt that disgust whenever bosses try to shove the work..

I agree that MBA experience is interesting, and there are many things to learn from batchmates. However, are we going to learn skills that are important in corporate world? For example, at senior management level how much more business we can bring in is much more important than any thing else. See current iGate CEO. Yes. I am talking of Phaneesh Murthy who was kicked out of Infosys.

How much we can squeeze out of our subordinates is another indicator of our capability.

Do I also sound bitter?

Thats what I have noticed in the last 5 years ;)

I guess thats how the great game goes on..we better learn the rules of the game :P
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is unfortunate. I feel sorry for the guy, but this should not have been a surprise. Anytime you come from a elite school, you are in a tiny minority and you will be held to a different standard.

The person interviewed seems like a genuine guy, but I don't think anyone should be so naive as to think that they will be paid hundreds on thousands of dollars and not be expected to 'walk on water', so to speak.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:

You mean Stanford, Haas, UCLA? :wink:

aurobindo: I hear ya buddy... try working in the defense industry for 6 years and you get to see some pretty ugly stuff too... :shock:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2