It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting over

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Schools: Georgetown '11
Starting over [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 13:04
So, I'm getting ready to start over with this process. I have several questions.

1) I've requested feed back from Tuck and Cornell, but have not recieved it as yet. I know the primary weaknesses in my profile are: Poor UG gpa, short tenure in my current position, possibly weak recommendations due to short tenure and virtually constant reorgs.

2) I think I could have done better with my essays, mostly because they came across formulaic and impersonal even for the schools I felt were a really good fit for me. Does "looking back at my essays I realize that I largely failed to convey my personality and unique characteristics which will make me a valuable member of XXXX school's community, I have endevored to remedy that." In addition to taking some classes and getting A's in an effort to remedy the poor UG gpa thing a reasonable argument for "what have you done to improve your application?"

3) I got a 750 on the gmat, I think I could do better, given my weak gpa is it worth retaking to get a better score and demonstrate my desire to make up for my GPA in any way possible?

4) would it be worth seeking out a masters degree in some tangentially related field such as industrial engineering or accounting (bleh).

5) my current job is a dead end, my current management is likely to cut off my support and possibly fire me if they discover I'm applying at all. Who can I get a new recomendation from? is a more senior coworker who I work closely with but isn't above me in the chain of command here (I'm a level 1(should be a 2, they gave me the money but not the title bureaucracy...YAY!!!), he's a level 3 but we have the same boss) a reasonable recommender?

5a) I'm 25 now, would be 27 in fall 2010. does it make sense to change companies and work there for two or so years to build some opportunity for leadership in a work setting (I'm the leader of several non-work groups) before reapplying?

6) EDIT: it's not...that's just whiny.

If I think of anything else I'll add it, but I'd like to know what people here think since the collective wisdom of this site far outstrips virtually anyone I've talked to about this process other than GCers.

Thanks,
Sleepy

Last edited by Sleepy on 14 Jan 2009, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Re: Starting over [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 13:06
Sleepy wrote:
So, I'm getting ready to start over with this process. I have several questions.

1) I've requested feed back from Tuck and Cornell, but have not recieved it as yet. I know the primary weaknesses in my profile are: Poor UG gpa, short tenure in my current position, possibly weak recommendations due to short tenure and virtually constant reorgs.

2) I think I could have done better with my essays, mostly because they came across formulaic and impersonal even for the schools I felt were a really good fit for me. Does "looking back at my essays I realize that I largely failed to convey my personality and unique characteristics which will make me a valuable member of XXXX school's community, I have endevored to remedy that." In addition to taking some classes and getting A's in an effort to remedy the poor UG gpa thing a reasonable argument for "what have you done to improve your application?"

3) I got a 750 on the gmat, I think I could do better, given my weak gpa is it worth retaking to get a better score and demonstrate my desire to make up for my GPA in any way possible?

4) would it be worth seeking out a masters degree in some tangentially related field such as industrial engineering or accounting (bleh).

5) my current job is a dead end, my current management is likely to cut off my support and possibly fire me if they discover I'm applying at all. Who can I get a new recomendation from? is a more senior coworker who I work closely with but isn't above me in the chain of command here (I'm a level 1(should be a 2, they gave me the money but not the title bureaucracy...YAY!!!), he's a level 3 but we have the same boss) a reasonable recommender?

5a) I'm 25 now, would be 27 in fall 2010. does it make sense to change companies and work there for two or so years to build some opportunity for leadership in a work setting (I'm the leader of several non-work groups) before reapplying?

6) Is it appropriate to write, as part of an optional essay, something along the lines of "I got rejected from your school last year. It is my favorite among all the schools I have concidered and is the only school I plan to apply to this year. If I am not accepted I will likely persue other paths for advancing my career."

If I think of anything else I'll add it, but I'd like to know what people here think since the collective wisdom of this site far outstrips virtually anyone I've talked to about this process other than GCers.

Thanks,
Sleepy

SLEEPY Get your butt over to the chat! so we can yell at you!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 13:46
Hi sleepy, two quick thoughts.

1) You'd have to be loony to take the GMAT again - I'm almost certain that would be looked at negatively (not even neutrally) by the AdCom, since it's a desperate measure. Your essays will be the key.

2) Can you get recommenders from your old job? This is the perfect use for the "optional" essay - explaining short tenure at your new job, old boss knows you better as an employee, etc.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 13:58
Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is get a year older. You are still on the young side, being 25, which is an age group where your application needs to be nearly flawless to compensate for the lack of work experience. Improve you essays, add to your extras, and combined with the fact that you will be 26, your chances will be greatly improved next application season.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Schools: Georgetown '11

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 13:59
RE: the recommenders. I used my manager prior to my promotion for this year's applications. I believe he gave me a good recomendation but I haven't seen it. My other recomendation was from the operations manager I work with currently. At that time I had only been working with him for a short period of time (3 or so months) but since we had reorg'd the finance side 5 times in those 3 months he was better than anyone else available.

I still feel like retaking the gmat isnt' the best option but it would give me something to point at to say "I did everything I could" now maybe it would look like I spent a lot of time on the wrong areas and thus showed poor judgement....that's what I'm worried about.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 14:00
Sleepy wrote:
maybe it would look like I spent a lot of time on the wrong areas and thus showed poor judgement....that's what I'm worried about.

This is exactly what it will look like.

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Schools: Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 14:44
Sleepy wrote:

6) EDIT: it's not...that's just whiny.

Thanks,
Sleepy

With regards point 5), you sure can ask a senior coworker to recommend you..worked for me.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 15:15
I definitely think 750 should be enough for any school. There is no point trying to work on that.

You try to work on the other area where you will shine. Like more leadership/ec.

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 25

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 16:20
I agree, forget about the GMAT. A 750 is great, and a 770 or 780 won't make them look at you any differently. One option you do have is to take some other courses to develop an alternative transcript. You could show them "Hey, I know my undergrad GPA stunk up the joint, but my 750 GMAT and all these courses I recently took and received A's in show that I can handle the rigors of Program XYZ."

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Starting over   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2009, 16:20

Starting over

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap