Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [29]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: Statistician : A financial magazine claimed that its survey of its sub [#permalink]
First, we need to remember that in strengthen except type of question
The correct answer can either weaken the conclusion or it may have no effect on the conclusion whatsoever.

Argument analysis :

Statistician: A financial magazine claimed that its survey of its subscribers showed that North Americans are more concerned about their personal finances than about politics. One question was: “Which do you think about more: politics or the joy of earning money?” This question is clearly biased. Also, the readers of the magazine are a self-selecting sample. Thus, there is reason to be skeptical about the conclusion drawn in the magazine’s survey.

A financial magazine claimed that NA
Concern
Personal finances > Politics

There was a question asked and the statistician it was biased (i have no clue why he thought the question was biased but let’s go with it). The Statistician also states that magazine are a self-selecting sample.

By now you must have realized that the statistician is criticizing the survey of the magazine.

Statistician concludes that basically, he can’t rely on the conclusion drawn by the magazine

1)The credibility of the magazine has been called into question on a number of occasions (wow if the magazine is not credible how can we rely on any conclusion drawn by the magazine ) Eliminate

2)The conclusions drawn in most magazine surveys have eventually been disproved.(again it shows the magazine is less credible) eliminate

3)Other surveys suggest that North Americans are just as concerned about politics as they are about finances. (the argument stated personal finances > politics but other magazines are stating that personal finance = politics. This creates a doubt in author’s mind not a good strenghtner but still a strenghtner) eliminate

4)There is reason to be skeptical about the results of surveys that are biased and unrepresentative.(the survey is only flawed how can you rely on the conclusion of the survey ) eliminate

5)Other surveys suggest that North Americans are concerned not only with politics and finances but also with social issues. (the survey had 2 parameters personal finance and politics. Now, this option brings in social issues. This parameter doesn’t help us with anything) Hence this option has no effect on the answer whatsoever and is hence the correct answer
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Statistician : A financial magazine claimed that its survey of its sub [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts