It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1036 [2], given: 534

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:20) correct 38% (01:44) wrong based on 291 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source: Nova GMAT

Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople in this company, including 14 who have become the top salespersons in their regions and 3 who have won the top salesperson award. Although there is an art to selling, Mr. Cooper’s success at training top salespeople shows that the skills required to become a top salesperson can be both taught and learned.

The argument depends on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Mr. Cooper does not teach the hard-sell method. Nor does he teach the I’ll-be-yourpal method. Instead, he stresses the professional-client relationship.
(B) More than 50% of the people trained by Mr. Cooper went on to become successful salespeople.
(C) One of the successful salespeople who trained under Mr. Cooper was not an accomplished salesperson before learning the Cooper Method.
(D) There is a large and expanding industry dedicated to training salespeople.
(E) There is no one method with which to approach sales; a method that works for one person may not for another person.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1036 [2], given: 534

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 784 [1], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
The argument says Steve is training many people and people who have been trained by him have won awards or have become top salesperson.

Conclusion: Skills required to become to salesperson can be taught and learned.

The whole conclusion depends on the assumption that since those people became topper, it was due to Mr Steve only. Or I can say there was no other reason for them to win that award. What if they knew these skillls before joining his sessions? In that case the argument would break. Let's look at the options now.

(A) Mr. Cooper does not teach the hard-sell method. Nor does he teach the I’ll-be-yourpal method. Instead, he stresses the professional-client relationship. : What ever he taught or doesn't taught is of no relevance for us. It is no where inline with our Pre thinking nor has any relation to the conclusion.
(B) More than 50% of the people trained by Mr. Cooper went on to become successful salespeople. : Even if 10% were successful, conclusion would be strengthened. But this is not the assumption on the basis of which conclusion is drawn.
(C) One of the successful salespeople who trained under Mr. Cooper was not an accomplished salesperson before learning the Cooper Method. : Great. So, if even that person was trained and taught by Mr Steve and he got achievement, our conclusion will Hold. A great assumption to select.
(D) There is a large and expanding industry dedicated to training salespeople. Irrelevant.
(E) There is no one method with which to approach sales; a method that works for one person may not for another person. How does he do that is irrelevant.

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 784 [1], given: 64

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 48

CAT Tests
Re: Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople in this company, including 14 who have become the top salespersons in their regions and 3 who have won the top salesperson award. Although there is an art to selling, Mr. Cooper’s success at training top salespeople shows that the skills required to become a top salesperson can be both taught and learned.

(A) Mr. Cooper does not teach the hard-sell method. Nor does he teach the I’ll-be-yourpal method. Instead, he stresses the professional-client relationship.
(B) More than 50% of the people trained by Mr. Cooper went on to become successful salespeople.
(C) One of the successful salespeople who trained under Mr. Cooper was not an accomplished salesperson before learning the Cooper Method.
(E) There is no one method with which to approach sales; a method that works for one person may not for another person.

Hi,
I am skeptical about the question. If the OA is C then it should contain at least at the beginning of the sentence. In the above version if we negate Choice C then we get two options. Either more than one or none of the successful sales people were accomplished salespeople then we get two scenarios and one of them does not shatter the conclusion.

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 48

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 40

Re: Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 12:03
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Hi

I do not think this question is an assumption one. To me, it seems more of a strengthen the argument question and even in that category "B" sounds more plausible than "C".

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 40

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 04:44
abhimahna wrote:
The argument says Steve is training many people and people who have been trained by him have won awards or have become top salesperson.

Conclusion: Skills required to become to salesperson can be taught and learned.

The whole conclusion depends on the assumption that since those people became topper, it was due to Mr Steve only. Or I can say there was no other reason for them to win that award. What if they knew these skillls before joining his sessions? In that case the argument would break. Let's look at the options now.

(A) Mr. Cooper does not teach the hard-sell method. Nor does he teach the I’ll-be-yourpal method. Instead, he stresses the professional-client relationship. : What ever he taught or doesn't taught is of no relevance for us. It is no where inline with our Pre thinking nor has any relation to the conclusion.
(B) More than 50% of the people trained by Mr. Cooper went on to become successful salespeople. : Even if 10% were successful, conclusion would be strengthened. But this is not the assumption on the basis of which conclusion is drawn.
(C) One of the successful salespeople who trained under Mr. Cooper was not an accomplished salesperson before learning the Cooper Method. : Great. So, if even that person was trained and taught by Mr Steve and he got achievement, our conclusion will Hold. A great assumption to select.
(D) There is a large and expanding industry dedicated to training salespeople. Irrelevant.
(E) There is no one method with which to approach sales; a method that works for one person may not for another person. How does he do that is irrelevant.

Hi Abhimahna,

Although I got this question right, I am still confused with this option. I only chose this option because I was able to eliminate the others but this option also doesn't seem to be the right assumption because it is talking about one instance out of X number of people he trained.

Keeping the conclusion in mind, one would assume that the salesmen he trained to become successful were not already the best salesmen in the department. How can one such instance be the assumption?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 09:31
I think 'D' is a better answer choice, as it talks about how there are many others like Mr. Cooper who are in the training industry, therefore implying that the skills can be taught.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 09:31

Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap