It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strange thing happended to me while doing gmatprep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Schools: anything
Strange thing happended to me while doing gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 18:32
I never took gmatprep before so I just gave it a try.
I solved up to 27th question and I realized that I had 12 minutes... I knew i will get really low score so I just filled any answer without reading questions. I also filled up verbal answers to see how I did in math. Strangely I got 47 in math and only 1 out of 10 questions I guessed was right.... I think i had 3 incorrects before 27...
Is this possible?

And how can I improve my math score? any books, tests?
I have og11,12 og math review, mgmat number property
I have kaplan 800 but didnt do it yet.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28495 [0], given: 5112

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Strange thing happended to me while doing gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2009, 22:22
Very strange indeed! There has been quite a bit of discussion here: gmat-scoring-algorithm-my-observations-28493.html
Number of theories exist. What were the question numbers you missed prior to the last 10?

Have you taken GMAT prep before? Are you usually a high Math scorer?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28495 [0], given: 5112

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 97 [2], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2009, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
Actually, your performance on GMATPrep isn't strange at all, at least acording to my GPrep experience, which is... well, lets just say I took tests 10 - 15 times... Each. :oops: :P

With 3 incorrects in the first 27 questions the test has "put" you in the "51" bracket. Had you continued with such a performance you would have ended with 51 in the end of the math section. But with 12 minutes left you couldn't and, due to random guessing on the left 10 questions, you ended up with Q47. I would say it is a perfectly normal score for such a test pattern.

If you repeat that on real test, with only 3 incorrects in the first 27 questions (especially if incorrects are clustered near 20-27 group) I am 100% sure you will end up with 45+ raw score regardless of your performance in the last 10 questions.

In addition, MGMAT have conducted some analysis of the Gprep software in which they followed the results depending on the number of incorrect answers in the various segments of the test. They answered randomly on the first ten or the last ten questions with almost 100% performance on the rest of the test. When they blind guessed the last ten questions they encountered the scor drop very similar to yours.

Unfortunately, all of this just confirms the old myth that 10 to 15 questions are extremely important on the GMAT and, consequently, greater attention should be given to them.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 97 [2], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2009, 20:32
bb wrote:
Very strange indeed! There has been quite a bit of discussion here: gmat-scoring-algorithm-my-observations-28493.html
Number of theories exist. What were the question numbers you missed prior to the last 10?

Have you taken GMAT prep before? Are you usually a high Math scorer?

I think they were 1 (10s) and 2 (20s). I took gmat 6 months ago and got 44 in math(First try). I only took gmatprep verbal section once.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2009, 20:37
thank you Pathfinder_77
wow really good info. I should try that in verbal...;)

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 05:51
mandb wrote:
thank you Pathfinder_77
wow really good info. I should try that in verbal...;)

:) Oh, Verbal... No my friend, verbal has totally different scoring algorithm. I am not 100% sure how it works, I assume the early questions are more important too, but its' scoring algorithm is fundamentally different than those of math section.

For example, you can score Q48 even if you made 15-16 mistakes. Of course, it depends on the distribution of your wrong answers. In Verbal, if you make 15-16 mistakes you will not score more than V34-35 ragardless of the distribution. If you score V48, it means you've made only 2-3 mistakes, or V37 - you've made somwhere arround 13 mistakes. Do you see the pattern?

It seems that verbal takes your 51 raw score and than discounts it for (n+1), where "n" is the number of mistakes you made during this section of GMAT. Due to this penalization of every single mistake, it is much harder to score high 40s in Verbal when compared to Quant.

My GMAT experience

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 86

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 08:48
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
It seems that verbal takes your 51 raw score and than discounts it for (n+1), where "n" is the number of mistakes you made during this section of GMAT. Due to this penalization of every single mistake, it is much harder to score high 40s in Verbal when compared to Quant.

I've noticed this pattern as well. V45 = approx. 5 incorrect answers, V40 = approx. 10 incorrect answers, etc.

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 86

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 92

WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2009, 06:31
Avernusaur wrote:
Pathfinder_77 wrote:

I've noticed this pattern as well. V45 = approx. 5 incorrect answers, V40 = approx. 10 incorrect answers, etc.

...and V28 (13 incorrect)!, last week. There's big difference between 10 incorrect & 13 incorrect, however, I think its got to do with errors in SC / CR / RC. I got 7 errors in RC!

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 92

GMAT Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2009, 08:52
pm4553 wrote:
...and V28 (13 incorrect)!, last week. There's big difference between 10 incorrect & 13 incorrect, however, I think its got to do with errors in SC / CR / RC. I got 7 errors in RC!

That's possible. i think we can conclude that Verbal is a way harsher grader than quant. The "discount" equation i gave overthere (n+1) will probably be the case when you don't have many mistakes in the first 10 questions and in situation where wrong answers are not clustered around some specific area (SC, CR or RC).

That is the reason I appeal on test takers to use GMATPrep as a practicing tool rather then the estimator of the future performance. many test takers "save" GMATprep tests for the last week in order to try to predict their performance on the real deal. Frankly, I don't see the point of that. What's the point of realizing 3 days before the test that you are going to score 680 on the GMAT? What can you do in 3 days to alter your faith?

Well, this is just my oppinion and my advice. In the end of the day, everyone should use Gprep (and every other tool) in the way which is most convenient for him/her. I just like to hear others experiences in testing the GMATprep. It seems that observation based on trial and error is our only weapon.

My GMAT experience

Re: Strange thing happended to me while doing gmatprep   [#permalink] 19 May 2009, 08:52

Strange thing happended to me while doing gmatprep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap