Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [3]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Strategy for Assumption questions [#permalink]
Kudos
ObsessedWithGMAT wrote:
Thanks a lot Jumsumtak! Although your inputs are really helpful, the biggest challenge that I see right now is that I am able to pre-think on the easier questions (the ones that do not have a difficult language: the language that is not interwoven) but not the ones that are from moderate to difficult. Now, if I try to simplify these questions in the form of P + (A) = C, I fail.

Don't try to fit things in a formula. This is what I'm talking about. Your approach is so mechanical at the moment (not blaming you), but with time it should change to one based on intuition. That is when you will see a good flow of correct questions in your attempts.

Don't overdo stuff, but practice hard. Try to see why an option is incorrect and finally, don't start with 750+ level questions. Increase your level (and speed) gradually based on your comfort.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ObsessedWithGMAT wrote:
Dear fellow members,

Although I understand that the basic structure of an argument is: -

Premises + (Assumption) = Conclusion,

I am facing a lot of difficulties to simplify any argument, especially in which I have to find the assumption, so that it fits in this formula. I am really facing a hard time to solve the questions in which I have to find the assumptions.

I am a non native speaker and have been fighting with the GMAT for the last quite long. I have already taken two attempts and have scored below 550. I want to work on my weaknesses this time so that I may reach where I want to.

I really thank you, in advance, for any help that you may extend to me.

I wrote a couple of posts on assumption questions a few days back discussing these things in detail. They might help you.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/03 ... sumptions/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/03 ... -question/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I read CR Bible from end to end and am glad that it helped me during my second attempt. I am now taking classes for the GMAT; the teacher uses the concept of assumption that is explained in Manhattan CR. CR Assumption is one of the most difficult sections for me. The CR Bible teaches us that there are two types of assumption question types: Supporter and Defender. The Bible intends to say that the concept: "Premises + (Assumption) = Conclusion" fits only in the Supporter whereas this strategy does not fit in the Defender.

My question to everyone out there is that have you ever tried to simplify this aspect? I am currently fighting with the fact that why CR Bible has come up with two approaches whereas Manhattan has completed the whole book on just ONE concept - P + (A) = C.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Club800 wrote:
I read CR Bible from end to end and am glad that it helped me during my second attempt. I am now taking classes for the GMAT; the teacher uses the concept of assumption that is explained in Manhattan CR. CR Assumption is one of the most difficult sections for me. The CR Bible teaches us that there are two types of assumption question types: Supporter and Defender. The Bible intends to say that the concept: "Premises + (Assumption) = Conclusion" fits only in the Supporter whereas this strategy does not fit in the Defender.

My question to everyone out there is that have you ever tried to simplify this aspect? I am currently fighting with the fact that why CR Bible has come up with two approaches whereas Manhattan has completed the whole book on just ONE concept - P + (A) = C.

As far as GMAT is concerned, you do not need to differentiate between supporters and defenders. All you need to keep in mind in assumption questions is that it is a premise which is missing and necessary for the conclusion. If the assumption is negated, the conclusion cannot hold. LSAT CR is more complex and involved.
GMAT Club Bot